Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
We do!?:confused:

All of us!?:confused:

The best singer!?:confused:

Funny, I didn't know that I knew that...:rolleyes:

I had a short, sharp debate with myself (those inner dialogues......very soulful, and utterly exhausting) last night on this precise topic. The debate concerned whether I should query that sentence "As we all know that Akon is the best singer..." much in the manner that you have done, or, in the spirit of tranquillity and tolerance, leave it alone without comment or question, and instead pay reluctant homage to the fact that teenagers (I assume the post is written by a teenager) are prone to outbursts of excessive enthusiasm untempered by any sort of balancing objectivity (because I still remember the fervent passion with which I held the views I held as a teenager).

So, Shrink, you took the words out of my mouth. And, maybe, following your excellent example, your post has allowed my inner ageing grouch to emerge and query such an exuberant and um, perhaps, partisan post.

Er, here I must confess that if he/she 'is the best singer' I, for one, have never heard of him/her. My other observation is that the sentence could well be qualified with a subjective entry, such as "In my [humble] opinion, Akon is the best singer' changing it from firm asserted fact (which is how it reads, and, if that is the reading we are meant to take from it, I humbly beg to differ; there are many great singers, and I doubt that 'Akon' is actually the best......) to an opinion, inviting further discussion as to the merits of the statement or otherwise......

Now, back on topic. I have been listening to a variety of music, Pepe and the Bottle Blondes with 'Rumba de 5 Kilos', the first track of their terrific album, Latenight Betty and Paris Combo with their wonderful song 'Living Room'.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I had a short, sharp debate with myself (those inner dialogues......very soulful, and utterly exhausting) last night on this precise topic. The debate concerned whether I should query that sentence "As we all know that Akon is the best singer..." much in the manner that you have done, or, in the spirit of tranquillity and tolerance, leave it alone without comment or question, and instead pay reluctant homage to the fact that teenagers (I assume the post is written by a teenager) are prone to outbursts of excessive enthusiasm untempered by any sort of balancing objectivity (because I still remember the fervent passion with which I held the views I held as a teenager).

So, Shrink, you took the words out of my mouth. And, maybe, following your excellent example, your post has allowed my inner ageing grouch to emerge and query such an exuberant and um, perhaps, partisan post.

Er, here I must confess that if he/she 'is the best singer' I, for one, have never heard of him/her. My other observation is that the sentence could well be qualified with a subjective entry, such as "In my [humble] opinion, Akon is the best singer' changing it from firm asserted fact (which is how it reads, and, if that is the reading we are meant to take from it, I humbly beg to differ; there are many great singers, and I doubt that 'Akon' is actually the best......) to an opinion, inviting further discussion as to the merits of the statement or otherwise......

Now, back on topic. I have been listening to a variety of music, Pepe and the Bottle Blondes with 'Rumba de 5 Kilos', the first track of their terrific album, Latenight Betty and Paris Combo with their wonderful song 'Living Room'.

Thanks!:D

I thought I was all alone out here in my apparent ignorance of "the best singer".;)

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
We do!?:confused:

All of us!?:confused:

The best singer!?:confused:

Funny, I didn't know that I knew that...:rolleyes:

You are preaching to the choir here.:D

Sometimes I do think that my oldest granddaughter makes up names of singers/rappers/groups just to confuse me, of course that's not all that difficult.:eek:

But at this moment late at night.:cool:

Blue Monk.
Thelonious Monk

Great memories of North Sea Jazz:cool:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
You are preaching to the choir here.:D

Sometimes I do think that my oldest granddaughter makes up names of singers/rappers/groups just to confuse me, of course that's not all that difficult.:eek:

But at this moment late at night.:cool:

Blue Monk.
Thelonious Monk

Great memories of North Sea Jazz:cool:

Hey, Old Man!

I saw Monk live at the Village Gate about 100 years ago.

It was....cool:cool:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
We do?

We all do?

Mind you, I do know who Peter Gabriel is (I even have some of his albums on my iPod), and I agree that he is very good indeed.......why, I even know who Genesis were......

As much as I enjoy Peter Gabriel, and Genesis, and Phil Collins' contributions... well, I think hyperbole is the order of the day.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
You two need to take a chill pill, put down the 70s music (or even the 1770s music) and try expanding your minds with something different and contemporary - from this century... or even the last year! ;)

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
firestarter: Nice pick! Kyary Pamyu Pamyu rocks, and her fashions are always interesting. My daughter loves Ponponpon... okay, yeah, so do I-- it's just so freakin' catchy.

Speaking of piano-centered jazz, Happybunny and Shrink, I've been listening to a bit of Kim Pensyl lately. Yeah, some think he's too Muzak, but I like it anyway. Here he is at a live outdoor festival:

Last edited:

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
So it turns out some of the videos GoPro upload to their YouTube channels contain some pretty good music...

Been listening to Emancipators other music all morning in the background.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.