Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

so..

• sold on it

Votes: 140 63.9%
  • disappointed

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • indifferent

Votes: 58 26.5%

• Total voters

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
I love the light grey hue it has outdoor. But for my habits (home/office/gym) it looks, most of the time, beige and warm.

I went through a black titanium then.

This is how it looks indoor (where I spent most of time), compared to MBP in space gray color.

Attachments

• IMG_4369.jpeg
    IMG_4369.jpeg
    577.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_4371.jpeg
    IMG_4371.jpeg
    372.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4374.jpeg
    IMG_4374.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_4373.jpeg
    IMG_4373.jpeg
    362.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4376.jpeg
    IMG_4376.jpeg
    417 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: Kuutar and BMox81

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Seeing how incredibly strong and durable the Titanium is on my Apple Watch Ultra 2 (I have hit it by accident against some stuff, and the other stuff got damaged but not my Apple Watch), it's going to be a solid phone.

Also the iPhone 15 Pro Max feels much better in the hand than my iPhone 11 Pro Max it replaces, so Apple did a good job with the weight reduction.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
I love the light grey hue it has outdoor. But for my habits (home/office/gym) it looks, most of the time, beige and warm.

This is how it looks indoor (where I spent most of time), compared to MBP in space gray color.
Thanks for these. Seeing those pictures means I'm going with black. Going with the natural would be good for a few weeks but then I’d be wishing I’d have gone with the black as it would match my MacBook/iPad Pro.

Reactions: Jutah

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012

Actually I’m still torn between natural and black.

I’m an old fan of black color, all my iPhone from X model have been black.

The black is always the same color, it makes me feel i never changed my phone: the natural really triggers me, but i really don’t like the beige/goldish hue under the indoor lights.

If it was a sold gray in every circumstance I’d have no doubt.

Reactions: BMox81

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
i would also be fine with "just" aluminum. the Mini also feels "premium" to me.

and i'm a big fan of lower weight.

Reactions: tomtattoo

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
I just have the Ultra, but the Titanium Apple uses has such a nice colour variation depending on the light. It can look really cold-metallic grey or warm grey and is quite neat.

Reactions: Allen_Wentz

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
The ergonomics and weight reduction with Ti this year is great. Too bad they didn’t go with harder coating methods like they did using DLC with the Apple Watch Series 7 Ti.

I feel that Apple only finally got back to making truly attractive black phone with 14 Pro, and 15 Pro Max follows albeit being matte rather than polished. Almost all versions between 7 and 14 were just different shades of grey..

That being said, I personally find Natural Ti really boring, it’s like how the muted earth or primer colors are gaining popularity for cars.. I think it is mainly popular at launch because it’s new and fresh right now, but after the novelty wears off, it’s just gonna be what it is - different shades of grey

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
i love it as from a weight point of view it's ideal. the 14 pro max was so heavy in comparison.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
The difference in weight is not a big deal to me and they could have just used the same stainless found on the 14 in my opinion. Just not that big of a deal. A lot of hype!

Jared G.K.

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2023
I'm using cases that are partly open, and usually buy silverish iPhone versions - which makes the whole thing look less boring, as you can still see parts of the steel or titanium frame.
And, I've been loving titanium since the days of the early quality pocket cameras of which some were made from it.
On top of that, it's lighter than stainless steel and less of a fingerprint magnet. Both very important for me.
So yes, I'm sold on it.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
The ergonomics and weight reduction with Ti this year is great. Too bad they didn’t go with harder coating methods like they did using DLC with the Apple Watch Series 7 Ti.

I feel that Apple only finally got back to making truly attractive black phone with 14 Pro, and 15 Pro Max follows albeit being matte rather than polished. Almost all versions between 7 and 14 were just different shades of grey..

That being said, I personally find Natural Ti really boring, it’s like how the muted earth or primer colors are gaining popularity for cars.. I think it is mainly popular at launch because it’s new and fresh right now, but after the novelty wears off, it’s just gonna be what it is - different shades of grey
Those folks looking for novelty will always find that "after the novelty wears off, it’s just gonna be what it is," but those just needing a workable long term color for the exoskeleton of their iPhone should do just fine with the Natural Ti alloy what it is.

Also I could not disagree more about your wish to go years backwards to the AW7. After a year I have found the Natural Ti alloy of the AW Ultra to be far superior to any previous Apple Watch, just like after a few weeks I find the Natural Ti alloy of the iPhone 15 PM similarly superior to any previous iPhone. YMMV.

Last edited:

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
Also I could not disagree more about your wish to go years backwards to the AW7. After a year I have found the Natural Ti alloy of the AW Ultra to be far superior to any previous Apple Watch, just like after a few weeks I find the Natural Ti alloy of the iPhone 15 PM similarly superior to any previous iPhone. YMMV.
I’m referring to the scratch resistance of DLC vs PVD. There’s little doubt that the phones would be less prone to scratches if they used DLC for all the Pros this year.

Also, only the series 7 in black titanium and Hermes SS space black was DLC so it’s irrelevant to other colors to be used for comparison

Last edited:

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I’m referring to the scratch resistance of DLC vs PVD. There’s little doubt that the phones would be less prone to scratches if they used DLC for all the Pros this year.

Also, only the series 7 in black titanium and Hermes SS space black was DLC so it’s irrelevant to other colors to be used for comparison
The point stands that DLC and some need for Titanium alloy iPhones to be less prone to scratches are meaningless.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
At the end of the day I'm indifferent to whatever material choice, but specifically in the context of Stainless Steel vs Titanium and all in on titanium because of the weight reduction and less fingerprints. I have the natural titanium finish and disappointedly it does still attract prints, but not nearly the same as the polished steel did.

Reactions: Allen_Wentz

WanderlustSoul

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2023
California
I like the Essential Phone's design, especially the use of titanium and ceramic instead of titanium and glass like the iPhone 15 Pro. I don't mind the weight of the ceramic back, it looks better than glass. The titanium on my Essential Phone has aged well, so I'm hopeful that the iPhone 15 Pro's titanium will also age well.

Reactions: snipr125

christlinah

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2022
Austria
Tbh I love it. While I loved how it matched the AppleWatch, I never liked the glossy look and also Titanium is so much lighter and more elegant.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I choose to not even vote on this as all the talk and bluster about the titanium being lighter then the stainless steel well I have my BS meter pegged out. The titanium is not where the weight savings came from but the aluminum inside is where the weight savings came from. go from a steel case to a bimetal case of titanium/aluminum the weight savings is from using a different lighter material inside.

Now I appreciated the effort apple made on the Pro series as I had a 14 Pro and traded it in for the 15 Pro but that was because I did not get enough internal storage when I bought the base model 14 Pro last year. I did notice it slightly the weight difference but I had to hold both phones in my hands to feel the difference and once I had a case on the 15 it was moot point.

john9876

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
I'm really enjoying my Natural Titanium 15 Pro. I've gone caseless for the first time since my Jet Black 8 (which was a lovely phone but a total magnet for scratches). It's noticeably lighter than the 14 Pro and I'd agree the weight distribution helps the feel in the hand too. The rounded edges make it more comfortable to handle without a case. I can't see any micro-scratches on the brushed metal finish yet. Fingerprints don't show up too badly and are easily wiped off. I also like the natural titanium shade of grey, fortunately I don't associate it with depressing 80s office equipment like some folk here do (my 1984 mac 128k was definitely a browner beige colour :)).

I did get a Belkin screen protector applied in the Apple Store and it's holding up great, looks like new still and gives me some peace of mind when shoving the phone in a pocket or laying it on a table.

RoadCyclistID

Contributor
Oct 18, 2007
Idaho
I'm really enjoying my Natural Titanium 15 Pro. I've gone caseless for the first time since my Jet Black 8 (which was a lovely phone but a total magnet for scratches). It's noticeably lighter than the 14 Pro and I'd agree the weight distribution helps the feel in the hand too. The rounded edges make it more comfortable to handle without a case. I can't see any micro-scratches on the brushed metal finish yet. Fingerprints don't show up too badly and are easily wiped off. I also like the natural titanium shade of grey, fortunately I don't associate it with depressing 80s office equipment like some folk here do (my 1984 mac 128k was definitely a browner beige colour :)).

I did get a Belkin screen protector applied in the Apple Store and it's holding up great, looks like new still and gives me some peace of mind when shoving the phone in a pocket or laying it on a table.
I have the same one and only went with a screen protector and took the case off. I have AC+ so if and when the inevitable happens, all good. Love the feel of the phone without a case and this is the first time I have ever done it. So far so good... whoops.

Reactions: john9876

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I’m sold on titanium (unless it scuffs and chips really bad over time, but I don’t have any scratches yet).
I managed to scuff mine a tiny bit. Dropped out of my pocket maybe 2-3 feet onto the pavement (into a puddle, no less). I didn't have a case on it because a) I just got it recently and b) it looks really nice without a case and c) I'm an idiot. Anyway, unclear whether a stainless frame would have taken any more damage, but honestly I was surprised at how well it came out of the encounter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.