Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tdude96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2021
This is a thread for throwing around app ideas for the Vision Pro. App ideas you have or would like to see.

Personally, I'm trying to think of apps that almost anyone could use with no external equipment (or at least optional), and that aren't necessarily "obvious" or built-in uses of the technology.

For example I'm not including things like live cave or underwater exploration which would certainly be a great use, but would require specialized equipment to facilitate. Nor am I including things like flight sims, VR gaming (done to death already), or vanilla conferencing.

But if you want to contribute those kinds of app ideas, feel free. Here are some that come to mind for me.

Historical Reconstruction
• View a AR/VR recreation of an object/street/structure, adjustable between an overlay on top of the existing view and a full VR view

Archaeological
• Pit/Trench Camera for reconstructing a dig
• Live photogrammetry & 3D modeling

Zoological encounters
• View and interact with a variety of existing or extinct animals (similar to Apple's butterfly & dinosaur encounters)

Realty & Architecture
• VR property tours
• Design and explore structures
• Re-imagine an existing home or workspace with live changes including moved furniture and changing the flooring, paint, or other features

Wardrobe
• Visualize and walk around yourself to see how you'd look with different clothing, shoes, glasses, jewelry and haircuts

Physique, Fitness, Physical Therapy
• Visualize yourself from all angles with desired weight or muscle gain/loss
• Perform bodyscans throughout a fitness process and see the progress you've made
• See how an exercise is properly performed from any angle, watch an expert (or have an expert watch you) to refine technique
• Posture analyisis & correction
• Preview a hike, walk or run to familiarize yourself with the area before taking it
• Forelimb mobility assessment & analysis

Tourism
• Preview hotels, beaches, parks, historical sites, etc to plan a perfect trip ahead of time
• Enhanced tours (museum, gallery, etc) with interactive content and object look-up

Education
• Virtually attend any lecture from anywhere, anytime in an immersive classroom experience
• Explore scientific concepts in full detail and from all angles from cellular structure to physiology
• Practice public speaking in an interactive environment
• Learn foreign languages in a more natural way, practicing and interacting in an immersive environment and real life situations

Sports
• Swing analysis (tennis, golf, etc)
• Practice movement patterns
• Martial arts & self-defense practice

Training
• Sales training with real scenarios
• Customer service training with real scenarios
• Safety training with a hands-on experience in a virtual environment
• Product assembly & troubleshooting training

Engineering
• CAD Prototyping & Analysis
• Design assembly and cross-sectioning diagrams with full range of motion and rotation

Business
• Multi-dimensional workflow & networking diagramming

Last edited:

kkee

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2023
Sydney
I am making the historical reconstruction, sort of, in spatial. The idea is similar to Yelp but you can pull up the 3d model of the building out of the 3d map, rotate, zooming, and adding rating/comments.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
OK, so this is a BIG one that's going to take a lot of work but it's going to be something that could really be a giant thing in the future.
Virtual People/Friends/Family.

Imagine your home, it is of course all mapped in 3D by your headset.
You can then have virtual people in your home, they will of course be powered by a form of AI to give them "life"
When wearing the headset, they will freely walk around your home, interacting with items.
Sitting on the sofa with your, watching TV with you.
You can have discussions with them, talk about their day, they will ask about your day.
You will build up relationships with them.

In time, they could even be family members which are no longer around, AI taking in all the data from a loved one, who you can still have with you.
Imagine a very elderly person who's lifelong partner has died, and they face the next 5 - 10 years being alone missing their single love, and being able to still see and talk to a representation of them instead of sitting there alone every dat.

Naturally with an Artificial person/s with you, you can imagine any possibility.

So there, Virtual Humans in your AR home.

kkee

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2023
Sydney
OK, so this is a BIG one that's going to take a lot of work but it's going to be something that could really be a giant thing in the future.

You can then have virtual people in your home, they will of course be powered by a form of AI to give them "life"
When wearing the headset, they will freely walk around your home, interacting with items.
You can have discussions with them, talk about their day, they will ask about your day.

In time, they could even be family members which are no longer around, AI taking in all the data from a loved one, who you can still have with you.
Imagine a very elderly person who's lifelong partner has died, and they face the next 5 - 10 years being alone missing their single love, and being able to still see and talk to a representation of them instead of sitting there alone every dat.

Naturally with an Artificial person/s with you, you can imagine any possibility.

Perhaps it would make more sense to have a 3D holographic projection from Vision Pro. It would be the next milestone once the VP tech becomes common.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
Developers won’t have camera access, and there are probably quite a few restrictions with other sensors, so many of those ideas won’t be possible, especially with the initial version of the OS.

Tdude96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2021
Developers won’t have camera access, and there are probably quite a few restrictions with other sensors, so many of those ideas won’t be possible, especially with the initial version of the OS.
Perhaps not fully, Apple does do things from a privacy-first standpoint, which is nice. But AR Kit for VisionOS should provide developers access to a pretty decent amount of sensor data, even without providing full access to personal data.

ARKit in visionOS offers a new set of sensing capabilities. You adopt these capabilities individually in your app, using data providers to deliver updates asynchronously. The available capabilities include:

• Plane detection. Detect surfaces in a person’s surroundings and use them to anchor content.
  • World tracking. Determine the position and orientation of Apple Vision Pro relative to its surroundings and add world anchors to place content.
  • Hand tracking. Use the person’s hand and finger positions as input for custom gestures and interactivity.
  • Scene reconstruction. Build a mesh of the person’s physical surroundings and incorporate it into your immersive spaces to support interactions.
  • Image tracking. Look for known images in the person’s surroundings and use them as anchor points for custom content.
I would imagine additional capabilities being opened up, even between now and launch as people become more familiar with it.

Reactions: markrich1682

ddvmor

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011

Expanding on this… FaceTime calls would take the form of a 3D ’hologram’ of your caller right in your room.

Reactions: CuddlyButDeadly

ddvmor

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
(Cross-posted from another thread)
I have a ten year old LG TV that converts 2D to 3D on the fly. It’s serviceable, but not great. After ten years, I’d like to think that the algorithms behind that would be a gazillion times better. Imagine being able to watch ANY video content on vision pro with good real time 3D conversion. That would be worth the price of admission for me.

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019

Sounds like a Black Mirror episode.

Burgess07

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
Watertown, WI
Maps! Maybe not for driving right away due to latency issues but maybe walking directions where the sidewalk gets highlighted with arrows pointing in the right direction.

ar-maps.jpg

bkkcanuck8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2015
Maps! Maybe not for driving right away due to latency issues but maybe walking directions where the sidewalk gets highlighted with arrows pointing in the right direction.

View attachment 2229604
Wearing the Vision Pro while driving is not going to be considered legal IMHO. There are already laws on most books with regards to distracted driving and you were not tested wearing it. Eye tests for driving include a peripheral vision component and this device restricts that peripheral vision.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014

Insert NPCs into your home...

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Wearing the Vision Pro while driving is not going to be considered legal IMHO. There are already laws on most books with regards to distracted driving and you were not tested wearing it. Eye tests for driving include a peripheral vision component and this device restricts that peripheral vision.
Irrespective of the law, there is no way Apple would allow the headset to work whilst driving anyway.
They will do everything they can to lock down the device as much as realistically possible to avoid news storie about people getting injured whilst wearing it.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017

"Ghosting" will get a whole new meaning.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
I plan on buying an M2 Pro Mac mini and instead of buying a monitor, I will use the Vision Pro as a monitor. I hope that works. I have an Intel Mac if want to use Mac with an actual monitor.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I plan on buying an M2 Pro Mac mini and instead of buying a monitor, I will use the Vision Pro as a monitor. I hope that works. I have an Intel Mac if want to use Mac with an actual monitor.
But if you have a Vision Pro which is a full computer with a M2 chip, then why would you then also need a M2 Mac as well?

Reactions: 4sallypat

bkkcanuck8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2015
I don't think it's clear if the Vision Pro will actually be a Mac and run Mac software. I suspect not.
There has been rumours of a cut down version of macOS that would run on an iPad as I think a sort of VM, if that ever comes true - that is what I would expect for Vision Pro to. (i.e. basically the UI layer running as a service/app on iPad). I would not expect to run macOS apps themselves except in something like that. It is a long shot though - i.e. I don't know how much veracity it has. However, it would match what I see as a path to merging the iPadOS and macOS platforms - just one more step... then ... announcing a middle device that is both touch and a desktop depending on how you use it. (i.e. if I see it happen I would be 100% sure of the merge strategy, right now I am at around 70 to 75% sure)

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I am intrigued by the idea of concerts. For example, Taylor Swift is coming to Singapore to perform next year and tickets are already out of stock. I get that from a marketing POV, demand will always outstrip supply to build hype, but what if there was a way where anyone with a Vision Pro headset could feel like they are part of the concert experience, without having to deal with the hassle of queueing for tickets, or squeezing with thousands of other participants (and seeing nothing from your spot).

I am even willing to wait for the concert DVD to release months later, if there could be a Spatial Video version of it. It would be a way of divorcing the concert experience from all the other inconveniences associated with it.

bkkcanuck8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2015
I can't see the Vision Pro damaging the demand for in person concerts... but I think 3D Vision Pro oriented performances might be a worthwhile endevour (even if not cheap). The trick will be what is the balance between the a concert performance / club experience visually and the best fidelity for the performance... It will be a while before it is attractive to do it for top stars monetarily (Singapore 6 concerts had a queue depth of more than a million trying to get tickets), but someone like the deep pockets of Apple could do something (even at a loss to them) to demonstrate the use of such a device for avid fans of some of the performers.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
But if you have a Vision Pro which is a full computer with a M2 chip, then why would you then also need a M2 Mac as well?
I work in music production. I have many crucial apps that may not be ready for visionOS.

If that's true, I know for sure they will run on a Mac. I think I will be able to use the Vision Pro as the monitor which will give me a big beautiful interface.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
The majority of new technology take 10-15 to mature into their ultimate form. Compare the following from now to 1st gen product:
Smartwatches
Social Media
Broadband
Mobile App Store.
Electric cars
Cloud Computing

bkkcanuck8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2015
The majority of new technology take 10-15 to mature into their ultimate form. Compare the following from now to 1st gen product:
Smartwatches
Social Media
Broadband
Mobile App Store.
Electric cars
Cloud Computing
Well, count electric cars out of that list... they took over 100 years to reach today and they are not yet in their ultimate form...

kkee

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2023
Sydney
I work in music production. I have many crucial apps that may not be ready for visionOS.

If that's true, I know for sure they will run on a Mac. I think I will be able to use the Vision Pro as the monitor which will give me a big beautiful interface.
You definitely can do that as it is one of the major features from their website:
"Bring your Mac wirelessly into Vision Pro with Mac Virtual Display. You can place it anywhere in space and use Vision Pro as an enormous, private, portable 4K display."

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
There has been rumours of a cut down version of macOS that would run on an iPad as I think a sort of VM, if that ever comes true - that is what I would expect for Vision Pro to. (i.e. basically the UI layer running as a service/app on iPad). I would not expect to run macOS apps themselves except in something like that. It is a long shot though - i.e. I don't know how much veracity it has. However, it would match what I see as a path to merging the iPadOS and macOS platforms - just one more step... then ... announcing a middle device that is both touch and a desktop depending on how you use it. (i.e. if I see it happen I would be 100% sure of the merge strategy, right now I am at around 70 to 75% sure)
You're confusing rumor with speculation or wishful thinking.

Reactions: macman01101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.