Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Just started reading "Artemis" by Andy Weir. So far I am enjoying it greatly! Very well written and it reminds me a lot of a Heinlein novel, in style. Much better than "Emergence" by David R. Palmer, which I started yesterday and put down.

60437.jpeg
I loved The Martian.

Reactions: mikzn

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Nothing fancy but I recently purchased a few that I have not read for many many years so looking forward to them again:

Lord of the Flies
The War of the Worlds

Catch 22
The Sun Also Rises

I recently read The War of the Worlds book, which I had not read before, I really liked it! Lord of the Flies is a classic which I read quite a few years ago!

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
91yvdE4f39L._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

Mortal Engines, book 1. I'd seen the trailer for the movie, and we got the 8 book set from Costco for my boys for Christmas. Overall, I thought this was a pretty decent dystopian young adult novel. I was a little bothered by how often just luck was necessary to keep the main characters from dying though.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Just finished.

Brilliant.

A Prayer for Owen Meany? Yep, I thought so too, eventually. I too had started it once or twice a long time ago (or maybe three times) and had always set it down and didn't go back until one summer when I almost lent it out to someone, and then realized "wait a darn minute... if I do this I'll never see it again and then I never will finish it!"

I had to set aside my impatience with the thing a few times. In retrospect it was when I was trying to "get somewhere" with the book instead of just allowing myself to be immersed in it.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
A Prayer for Owen Meany? Yep, I thought so too, eventually. I too had started it once or twice a long time ago (or maybe three times) and had always set it down and didn't go back until one summer when I almost lent it out to someone, and then realized "wait a darn minute... if I do this I'll never see it again and then I never will finish it!"

I had to set aside my impatience with the thing a few times. In retrospect it was when I was trying to "get somewhere" with the book instead of just allowing myself to be immersed in it.

Exactly.

Glad I did.

This is next:

mystery.jpg

Yeah I'm that kind of reader.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
The book I've enjoyed the most this year is "Shoe Dog" by Phil Knight;

In 1962, fresh out of business school, Phil Knight borrowed $50 from his father and created a company with a simple mission: import high-quality, low-cost athletic shoes from Japan. Selling the shoes from the boot of his Plymouth, Knight grossed $8000 in his first year. Today, Nike's annual sales top $30 billion. In an age of start-ups, Nike is the ne plus ultra of all start-ups, and the swoosh has become a revolutionary, globe-spanning icon, one of the most ubiquitous and recognisable symbols in the world today. But Knight, the man behind the swoosh, has always remained a mystery. Now, for the first time, he tells his story. Candid, humble, wry and gutsy, he begins with his crossroads moment when at 24 he decided to start his own business. He details the many risks and daunting setbacks that stood between him and his dream - along with his early triumphs. Above all, he recalls how his first band of partners and employees soon became a tight-knit band of brothers. Together, harnessing the transcendent power of a shared mission, and a deep belief in the spirit of sport, they built a brand that changed everything. A memoir rich with insight, humour and hard-won wisdom, this book is also studded with lessons - about building something from scratch, overcoming adversity, and ultimately leaving your mark on the world

Reactions: pachyderm

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm currently reading Revenge of the Sith, and I'm amazed at the depth and complexity of the plot, and characters which is so absent in the movie. While the book certainly mirrors the movie closely, it does add details and embellishments that make the story compelling. If only the movie was like this. Anakin Skywalker was somewhat flat and 2 dimensional in the movie, but the book is portraying him as a complex and flawed person.

1577889233289.png

Reactions: ucfgrad93

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Finally finished up Andy Weir's "Artemis", (a really good book. Well written and easily read). And am now starting "Unnatural Acts" by Kevin J. Anderson. Returning to the world of Dan Shamble, zombie private eye. It's a hoot!
515sJobrTQL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited:

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Over the weekend I finished both "Elantris" by Brandan Sanderson, and "Tiamat's Wrath" by James SA Corey.

the new year hit, I pulled up my list of books read in 2019 and realized, quite stupified. I haven't read a single novel in 2019.

probably the only time ever in my life, since I was a kid, that I didn't read regularly.

this year I am making it an effort to watch a little less TV and read a lot more. 2 books a month is my current goal (that would have been easy for me even just a few years ago)

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
A detour into a volume of poetry for me, as a break from Halberstam’s interesting but lengthy tome about the 1950s, which book I’d posted about earlier in here.

A Piece of Good News -- Katie Peterson (Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 2019).

From a review in the NYT:

Peterson’s prickly, playful book is filled with quasi parables (including a poem called “New Parable”) that often keep an attractive distance from their own sponsoring emotions — attractive in part because when Peterson chooses to narrow that gap, the results are striking.​
So we pass from “The Fountain,” a knottily delightful examination of what it means to make something — a statue of a woman by a fountain, a poem, a relationship with an audience — to “The Massachusetts Book of the Dead,” a series of short poems focused on the death of Peterson’s mother that includes these almost brutally straightforward lines:​
My mother died at nine o’clock at night.
I will be awake
past my bedtime forever.
It’s as if a fable split open and a diary page fell out. Poetry is always about what’s being said and not said, but rarely are the two so expertly intertwined.​
Me, I always enjoy a collection of poems where certain lines stand out for me even when I've no idea what the poet may have had in mind when they fell from the pen... this is from a poem in there titled "The Bargain":

But when the sun goes down, you
wonder what it weighs.

I'm a huge fan of ambiguity and nuance, and often find the very idea of doubt or uncertainty energizing, so it's probably not strange that I like dipping into poetry where I get to say "I don't know what that means, and it's so great!" without giving a damn whether anyone else would find whatever it was quite clear and straightforward. Reading poetry for me is sort of like sketching a novel on the fly, from an outline a poet happened to drop in the road.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I'm currently reading Revenge of the Sith, and I'm amazed at the depth and complexity of the plot, and characters which is so absent in the movie. While the book certainly mirrors the movie closely, it does add details and embellishments that make the story compelling. If only the movie was like this. Anakin Skywalker was somewhat flat and 2 dimensional in the movie, but the book is portraying him as a complex and flawed person.

View attachment 886057

A lot of the novelizations of the Star Wars movies add incredible amount of depth to the story that the movies just don't. Probably because Lucas really doesn't know how to write characters and direct them.

I remember as a kid reading Lucas' own novelizations of "A New Hope" and it was incredible. it actually gave a lot more depth to some of the characters who you only saw for a split second on screen. Like the little sub narrative in the book where he describes why he wants off Tattooine so bad. His friends had already left. Only to run into his best friend again before the battle of yavin and watch his X-wing get shot down.

just little things like that really flesh out the characters

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
A lot of the novelizations of the Star Wars movies add incredible amount of depth to the story that the movies just don't. Probably because Lucas really doesn't know how to write characters and direct them.

I remember as a kid reading Lucas' own novelizations of "A New Hope" and it was incredible. it actually gave a lot more depth to some of the characters who you only saw for a split second on screen. Like the little sub narrative in the book where he describes why he wants off Tattooine so bad. His friends had already left. Only to run into his best friend again before the battle of yavin and watch his X-wing get shot down.

just little things like that really flesh out the characters

Maybe I should start with one of the novels.. I still haven't dipped really even a toe in to the movies/TV land of Star Wars. It's not about the genre, I think. Just that I learned to read before seeing "moving pictures" on a screen and so still tend to reach first for a book and then might get interested if there's a film adaptation.

I'm sure I've missed some great films that were not based directly on books! But it's starting to feel inexcusable not to have more knowledge of this iconic set of works than a few half-remembered Star Trek TV episodes I might have seen back in the day.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Maybe I should start with one of the novels.. I still haven't dipped really even a toe in to the movies/TV land of Star Wars. It's not about the genre, I think. Just that I learned to read before seeing "moving pictures" on a screen and so still tend to reach first for a book and then might get interested if there's a film adaptation.

I'm sure I've missed some great films that were not based directly on books! But it's starting to feel inexcusable not to have more knowledge of this iconic set of works than a few half-remembered Star Trek TV episodes I might have seen back in the day.

The biggest problem with diving into star wars books is the change in Canon of the story.

Anything written before Disney bought the rights is not considered official in universe story anymore. So a lot of the books prior will have references to things that don't exist in the new narrative.

So Unless it's The three movie trilogies, Rebels, Clone Wars, or Resistance or a book published directly from Disney's publishing arm, there may be confusion in a lot of the extraneous narratives that existed in the book but not movie.

I believe this is because the expanded universe, which was mostly book based was not included in the rights disney bought. (I believe Penguin publishing owns those). So Disney just said it doesn't count anymore.

So i still recommend reading the novelizations of the movie, just providing a caveat that if it wasn't in the movie, but it's in the book, it may be providing conflicting background narrative to what you may expect from the modern Star Wars story.

However, one of the reasons the books of Star Wars worked alongside the movies is that the books were written after the movies for the most part. So they don't fundamentally vary that much from the movie.

As someone who has read so much growing up, seeing so many of my favourite series suddenly getting turned into movies and shows, film adaptations of books rarely ever live up to the book itself.

Reactions: Huntn and LizKat

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I had read Dune 7 years after it was published 1965. I have it in ebook format and was hesitant to reread it, but I started it and one page later was immediately sucked back in, such a great narrative, easy to immerse, good reading, interesting characters, with an intriguing plot. Closer to the start than the finish and enjoying every minute of it. And then there is THIS. :D

5769D4B4-EDA3-45BB-8A52-CDC49EAE70FB.jpeg

Last edited:

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I had read Dune 7 years after it was published 1965. I have it in ebook format and was hesitant to reread it, but I started it and one page later was immediately sucked back in, such a great narrative, easy to immerse, good reading, interesting characters, with an intriguing plot. Closer to the start than the finish and enjoying every minute of it. And then there is THIS. :D

One of my Top reads ever. The entire series.

Reactions: mikzn and Huntn

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
So Disney just said it doesn't count anymore.

Gotta love that approach. Straight outta 21st century business schools. Fake is the real deal by time the lawyers finish with it.

I've been thinking to get real about Star Trek fare by using a road map that Renzatic wrote up for me once. It sounded sensible at the time, all I need to do is fish that mail or post out of archives..

Reactions: Huntn

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

It was like reading a Sci Fi Bible.

I had to quit.

Reactions: millerj123

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver

I have read the whole series several times - even the newer prequels (Paul of Dune, Machine Crusade, etc.) - might have to do a complete reboot and read everything in chronological order in preparation of the 2020 movie - I have high hopes - but am realistic - hard to do this justice - IMHO

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have read the whole series several times - even the newer prequels (Paul of Dune, Machine Crusade, etc.) - might have to do a complete reboot and read everything in chronological order in preparation of the 2020 movie - I have high hopes - but am realistic - hard to do this justice - IMHO
When I read Dune there were no sequels, maybe this time I’ll take it further. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.