Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Just finished The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (1966) by Robert Heinlein. First read, it’s not great, but I enjoyed it. Written in first person, easy reading, but reads more like a documentary. The author puts much effort into describing the Moon Colony, how it functions, it’s social order, which includes plural marriage by necessity, multiple husbands and wives in single family clusters. A most interesting aspect of the story is a computer who achieves self awareness and a catapult which is used to send goods from the Moon to the Earth, oh and there is a revolution. :)
That is easily my favourite RAH novel, ( and that of most Heinlein fans). It is nice to get to see Mike rescued in "The Cat Who Walks Through Walls).

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Since The Irishman is now on Netflix, I'm finally going to read the book I Heard You Paint Houses written by Charles Brandt that's been collecting dust in my bookshelf for a while now. First the book, then the film.

I am interested in reading this one also... Let us all know what you think of it!

While I am not reading traditional books at the moment, I am catching up on some of my back issues of my graphic novels:

Currently reading the following, depending on which room I am in...

Usagi Yojimbo Saga Volume 2 - Love his art and story telling, not to mention, I am a sucker for anything that is related to Samurai warriors and ancient Japan.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - the movie Balderunner is based on this book...

and soon to start, again: Watchman's DC Classic Version... Should be here this week!!!

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Just started reading "Artemis" by Andy Weir. So far I am enjoying it greatly! Very well written and it reminds me a lot of a Heinlein novel, in style. Much better than "Emergence" by David R. Palmer, which I started yesterday and put down.

60437.jpeg

Reactions: mikzn

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
Fiction: Star Trek: Vanguard - "What Judgements Come" (that whole series has been a perennial favorite of mine for quite a while)

Non Fiction: Asia's Cauldron: The South China Sea and the End of a Stable Pacific

scubachap

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
UK
I've been plugging through Samuel Pepys - surprisingly readable and amusing (but you're sort of laughing at him rather than with him at times.). It's one of those ones you can pick up and put down too. Goes to prove that people stay the same and it's just technology that changes. If you do try it go for a decent edition as footnotes (on each page) really help. I struggled and gave up with the free Kindle ones - they 'vexed me' as they seem to edit a lot of stuff out so as not to offend, I mean really? I'm reading this one as an actual book which is decent and too expensive.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I've been plugging through Samuel Pepys - surprisingly readable and amusing (but you're sort of laughing at him rather than with him at times.). It's one of those ones you can pick up and put down too. Goes to prove that people stay the same and it's just technology that changes. If you do try it go for a decent edition as footnotes (on each page) really help. I struggled and gave up with the free Kindle ones - they 'vexed me' as they seem to edit a lot of stuff out so as not to offend, I mean really? I'm reading this one as an actual book which is decent and too expensive.

If you like Samuel Pepys, (and his times), I can also recommend that you take a look at Daniel Defoe's "A Journal of the Plague Year" which I thought excellent.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks - I'll take a look at that. I've vaguely heard of it but hadn't really thought of reading it.

This is the same Daniel Defoe who wrote "Robinson Crusoe".

"A Journal Of The Plague Year" is considered to be one of the first classic "works" of modern journalism, which is simultaneously both serious and accessible, for it is a exceptionally well-researched and well-written work.

I suspect that the success (and fame) of Robinson Crusoe has overshadowed the fact that Defoe was also a very fine chronicler of his times and a formidable writer (and journalist).

Reactions: LizKat

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
“One technology doesn’t replace another, it complements. Books are no more threatened by Kindle than stairs by elevators.” Stephen Fry.

Or radios by TV.

All of these media can exist simultaneously, and, as you say, can complement one another.
[automerge]1576939058[/automerge]
Anyone know of any good books about Albania and it's history? @Scepticalscribe

On Albania, by itself, no, but I can recommend a few books on the Balkans (which include Albania) and on the former Yugoslavia (again, with sections on Albania).

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
The Last Lion (Vol. 1) by William Manchester. An amazing book on Winston Churchill, it covers the 1874–1932 years. I particularly loved the description of the Victorian society and all its nuances, especially on sexual tastes. Should be read by everyone.

The Last Lion (Vol. 2) - Alone, by William Manchester. Second volume (of 3) of Manchester's bio of Churchill. This covers the time up to Churchill's appointment as Prime Minister. Another volume that reminds me how difficult it is to read current events, current moods, and where they are going to lead us. I was very (negatively) impressed by Chamberlain's stubbornness (he even lied to his own entire Cabinet).

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
So, over the last two days I have finished up Mark Millar's original "American Jesus" graphic novel and the DC Black Label series "Harleen". Both extremely good reads!

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Reading the 750+ page account by David Halberstam of The Fifties.

Halberstam The Fifties cover art.jpg

Impossible to summarize it, except to say that it seems in retrospect also impossible that so much stuff happened in the couple decades of my childhood and teen years. Hah, I can remember more than a few times thinking in the 50s in particular, "gee nothing ever happens any more." I was not bored, nor was that reference personal really, nor regretful. It was just a middle school kid's assessment of what seemed like a somewhat calmer world in the times after the end of WWII, at least after our dads and uncles were home again and trying to make or resume an adult life in the USA. But then kids are singleminded about their own interests and whatever lies outside that tends to get short shrift in passing. Now I find it all pretty interesting. The politics were a fair bit harsher than I had remembered, and I was actually pretty interested in that from time to time, even back then.

Anyway rather than try to summarize I'll quote the Amazon blurb that attempted to give readers something of a sense of the range of things Halberstam looks at in this fascinating book:

"The Fifties is a sweeping social, political, economic, and cultural history of the ten years that Halberstam regards as seminal in determining what our nation is today. Halberstam offers portraits of not only the titans of the age: Eisenhower, Dulles, Oppenheimer, MacArthur, Hoover, and Nixon, but also of Harley Earl, who put fins on cars; Dick and Mac McDonald and Ray Kroc, who mass-produced the American hamburger; Kemmons Wilson, who placed his Holiday Inns along the nation's roadsides; U-2 pilot Gary Francis Powers; Grace Metalious, who wrote Peyton Place; and "Goody" Pincus, who led the team that invented the Pill."​
I'm having fun with it. In the time of a childhood up to young adulthood, there can be surprising lacunae in the later recollection of events that one lived through without really having synthesized some overall sense of those couple of decades.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Reading the 750+ page account by David Halberstam of The Fifties.

Impossible to summarize it, except to say that it seems in retrospect also impossible that so much stuff happened in the couple decades of my childhood and teen years. Hah, I can remember more than a few times thinking in the 50s in particular, "gee nothing ever happens any more." I was not bored, nor was that reference personal really, nor regretful. It was just a middle school kid's assessment of what seemed like a somewhat calmer world in the times after the end of WWII, at least after our dads and uncles were home again and trying to make or resume an adult life in the USA. But then kids are singleminded about their own interests and whatever lies outside that tends to get short shrift in passing. Now I find it all pretty interesting. The politics were a fair bit harsher than I had remembered, and I was actually pretty interested in that from time to time, even back then.

Anyway rather than try to summarize I'll quote the Amazon blurb that attempted to give readers something of a sense of the range of things Halberstam looks at in this fascinating book:

"The Fifties is a sweeping social, political, economic, and cultural history of the ten years that Halberstam regards as seminal in determining what our nation is today. Halberstam offers portraits of not only the titans of the age: Eisenhower, Dulles, Oppenheimer, MacArthur, Hoover, and Nixon, but also of Harley Earl, who put fins on cars; Dick and Mac McDonald and Ray Kroc, who mass-produced the American hamburger; Kemmons Wilson, who placed his Holiday Inns along the nation's roadsides; U-2 pilot Gary Francis Powers; Grace Metalious, who wrote Peyton Place; and "Goody" Pincus, who led the team that invented the Pill."​
I'm having fun with it. In the time of a childhood up to young adulthood, there can be surprising lacunae in the later recollection of events that one lived through without really having synthesized some overall sense of those couple of decades.

Funny you should say that; my mother - who lived through the 50s as a young adult, thought it a suffocating, conformist, stagnant decade, intellectually, socially and culturally (apart from Elvis, whom she detested, pointing out that, "he put me off the dance floor"); she far preferred the 60s and 70s, not least in terms of women's rights and civil rights and the opening up of education, society, social mobility and opportunity, in general.

However, I do remember thinking that the seventies felt the same - i.e. sort of "boring", (especially after what had seemed to have been the excitement of the 60s, although people who lived through it, and were not at the epicentres of the various excitements, told me that it was nothing like as exciting as it may have seemed).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.