Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
With working from home since the epidemic hit, I just recently learned the value of a good desk chair. My back was seriously starting to hurt every night so I did some research on the best desk chair for ergonomics and was torn between the huge brands (Herman Miller, Steelcase, Knoll, etc.)

Decided to go with the Steelcase Leap V2 and haven't looked back. The design isn't the absolute prettiest - it gives off a very 90's corporate vibe, but all the reviews I read pointed to it being the perfect chair for most people. Other popular choices like the Aeron were either love it or hate it, and I just didn't want to take that risk. I was able to snag a Leap V2 on craigslist in great condition from a bank closing for $300, and I couldn't be happier.

How about you?

Attachments

• is.jpg
    is.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 621
Reactions: Huntn and dk001

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I have a HM Aeron at home. Love it, but I'll admit that I bought it as much for it being a design icon as much as comfort. The office has a Knoll chair, but I haven't checked which one.

EDIT: Knoll Remix.

Reactions: Huw Price

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
I don’t sit at my desk although if I must sit, I get my grandpa’s old wood office chair.

Reactions: LizKat

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I have a Tempurpedic office chair, but found it was much more comfortable with the back and arms removed. I use it as a piano stool now because I no longer sit at a desk to work. With a laptop (which now is iPad Pro+MK), I sit in various home chairs and find that my back prefers the angles, comfort and variety more than working at a desk.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I usually move around a lot during the day, taking a laptop or iPad with me, so I often stand up and work w/ a laptop resting on either a map chest or worktable or what used to be a freestanding cupboard for sewing supplies but now stores some vinyl records with the cubbyhole-sized drawers reserved for cables and dongles. Yeah it plays hell with my typing but hey so far no carpal tunnel syndrome, I'm gone again before my wrists can set up to complain about anything.

When I'm parked and not using the couch to sit on, then I like best to sit in an old oaken bank customer chair with arms on it, the kind there used to be two of in front of the banker's desk if you ever got past the anteroom to see the banker himself. Comfy but not that comfy, so sitting there again reminds me to get up and move around some more before my aging knees seize up on me. Also reminds me to sit up straight since there were a few of those chairs in my grandma's parlor, off in a kind of at-home paperwork-handling area my granddad had established in that room. I was too little then to sit way back in the chair anyway so sat more towards the edge and can still hear grandma saying "Don't slump in that chair please dear."

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
After going through several office depot like chairs, I splurged on a Herman Miller aeron chair about 4 years ago and it's still holding strong today. I have mine with chrome base/casters so it looks nice as well.

Reactions: Huw Price

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
Congratulations on your finding a great chair at a great price!

Yet another Aeron user here. One at home and one in the office.

My Classic home version is pretty old. I picked it up on eBay a couple of decades ago for less than $300. It had been rode hard, as they say, but with a quirk or two, works well. The office chair is a newer version Aeron.

After spending way too much time in my home office due to the *demic, I considered a newer chair, and looked at both the Steelcase line and the HM Embody. Given the price range, though, I looked hard at tuning up my old Aeron.

Turns out the major problem was simple to fix: at some point I had adjusted it to where it was a bit too high, thereby putting pressure on the bottom of my thighs. I originally thought it was because the pad along the front edge was shot, so I ordered a new one, thinking that would fix the pressure. It didn't.

Then I looked up and read the adjustment instructions. I lowered the chair about an inch, so that my feet are flat on the floor, with knees bent at 90 degrees. I lowered my computer monitor accordingly. Problem solved.

Pleased with the result, I added a lumbar support and a headrest. The lumbar support provides a subtle posture adjustment, and the headrest (a neck rest, really) makes a big difference throughout the day. I don't use it constantly, but it provides an option for posture change that I wish I'd had a long time ago. It makes the Aeron complete, in my opinion. Although Herman Miller doesn't make a headrest for the Aeron, the one I found on Amazon (EngineeredNow) is excellent, and looks like it came with the chair.

No doubt the other chairs I considered are excellent; but I'm glad I didn't have to buy a new one.

Last edited:

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I just use a high-back dining room chair. I put patio chair cushions on the seat and the back, just draping the tied straps over the top on each side. I got a little sore at first, but now I'm used to it. I have no issues with the chair, and I have pre-existing arthritis in my lower back.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That's a chair that can be found in most hipster-ish restaurants in America, that's for sure!
My wife wanted kitchen table chairs when we moved to the new house. I got it from the kitchen. :)

Reactions: TSE

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
This beast.

Am a fan of the mid-century modern aesthetic and was really drawn to this. Am possibly thinking about something with a taller back/more support once I move into my new place and get my new desk (Sauder 426509) set up though.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
This beast.

Am a fan of the mid-century modern aesthetic and was really drawn to this. Am possibly thinking about something with a taller back/more support once I move into my new place and get my new desk (Sauder 426509) set up though.

Mid-century modern IS quite nice. Anything by Eames with Herman Miller is top notch if you knew how much detail goes into manufacturing those chairs.

However, I haven't found a mid-century modern chair that is as comfortable as the boring corporate office looking ones. If I did, I would definitely be in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: GalileoSeven

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I've got an old Lazyboy/La-z-boy recliner that's raised up with a mod I did and with custom adjustable armrests, but the chair itself is falling apart so I don't use it at my main desk anymore, only the den desk. Basic Staples in its place now, but it kills my back... Looking to get something better hopefully with recline soon.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
My Steelcase Gesture has a long warranty I think 10 years but forgot.

After a few months or a year it started to have a problem with a little piece coming off. I contacted Steelcase they wanted to send the piece but I wasn't sure I would be able to figure out how to take it off and put it back on.

So Steelcase discussed it with the team and instead sent me a whole new chair free. While I shipped the old Steelcase Gesture chair after back all for free.

You don't get service like that anywhere else.

• Haha
Reactions: shadow puppet

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Another Aeron user here. Mine is totally ancient and was a well-worn freebie when my old employer moved offices and got new furniture. I replaced the wheels which were pretty dinged up. I think this thing has been in regular use for like 20 years now and it's showing its age but is still quite comfortable. I'd buy a new (er, reconditioned) one in a heartbeat. They aren't cheap but any piece of furniture you spend this much time on is worth spending money on.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Yes but Aeron does not send a total new chair to you if it breaks or a piece comes off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.