Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Everyone has their own tastes man! Chill, chill!!! Office chair discussion is to unite us, not divide!!!

I totally agree!

Just stating my experience.

I tried 3 different chairs off of Amazon and the third one is what I liked.

frozenoem1

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2018
I’ve tried the high end chairs, even Herman Miller’s.

To be honest the one that keeps my posterior and lower back happy is a Windsor Armchair , made by my great grandfather sometime in the 1800’s.

Discovered or rediscovered it when my desk chair broke a castor in March at the start of first lockdown.

Didn’t desire to travel 2-4.5 hours to select a new chair, grabbed what was handy and 8 months later haven’t looked back .

Thank heavens we’re the same height, the odd bit is no lower back pain ever.

And as of now don’t even mind the lack of cushioning, can sit for 1-2 hours and still feel my legs upon standing.

Feet can rest on floor with thighs above seat, blood flows with no pins and needles effect.

Beginning to think ergonomics was invented in 1800’s, comfort in a Cherry or walnut seat scooped out for butt cheeks. Considering bringing in my oak rocking chair/recliner from garage, wonder if seat will be upholstered or not Think it’s called a Chataqua or Morris rocker/recliner.

Last edited:

KennethS

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
UK
I’ve tried the high end chairs, even Herman Miller’s.

To be honest the one that keeps my posterior and lower back happy is a Windsor Armchair , made by my great grandfather sometime in the 1800’s.

Discovered or rediscovered it when my desk chair broke a castor in March at the start of first lockdown.

Didn’t desire to travel 2-4.5 hours to select a new chair, grabbed what was handy and 8 months later haven’t looked back .

Thank heavens we’re the same height, the odd bit is no lower back pain ever.

And as of now don’t even mind the lack of cushioning, can sit for 1-2 hours and still feel my legs upon standing.

Feet can rest on floor with thighs above seat, blood flows with no pins and needles effect.

Beginning to think ergonomics was invented in 1800’s, comfort in a Cherry or walnut seat scooped out for butt cheeks. Considering bringing in my oak rocking chair/recliner from garage, wonder if seat will be upholstered or not Think it’s called a Chataqua or Morris rocker/recliner.
That's awesome -- can't beat family heirlooms!

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
I have had this one for 20 years now. When I had my own business I initially rented a small office in an Office Furniture company’s building. Never paid for any furniture for the office and was able to test all their stock.

This is the one I bought from them as it was the most comfortable. Cost £190 all that time ago.

No longer have my own business but this chair has been in every office since then and now at home with the Covid thing.

I am about to re-upholster it though.

50e95cdc3ee92767cb84cbc747ee165a.jpg

These are a couple of my re-upholstery projects

137f13a032764119642f69830f61a289.jpg

cf7002a66481dfb65bd546b4ff0159f0.jpg

Cushion still to do

a42eea92a7b2bfa9f0d51569c4a96101.jpg

51c2a52c1e0a310d3789f6e175060f3d.jpg

60024d0b3a1474e17c95631d19a687f1.jpg

Reidan

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
I am starting to develop arthritis in my spine. So sitting in chairs and leaning forward to reach keyboard for more than about an hour is getting very uncomfortable to me. I am also very tell, which is one of the reasons I am getting the arthritis in the spine. At the office I had them raise my cubicle counter height so that I did not have to bend over. That helped some. With the counter raised I was able to roll the chair close and put a foot stool under the desk to prop my feet on. This reclined position helped the pain tremendously. I could shift from sitting upright to leaning back several times a day and make it through the day.

So turns out the pandemic and working from home was actually a good thing for me. Like the previous poster, I also have a Layzboy recliner. Since I was already reclining back at my cubicle desk, I knew this would be a good option. My employer is a retail company. In our stores we have some height adjustable tables. Do not go high enough to be a standing desk, but they go high enough to clear the arms of my recliner. I took one home and added some casters to it. Found some from HomeDepot that screwed right into the threaded holes of the adjustable feet. I lean back in my recliner and roll the table up to me and place my MacBook on it with iPad off to the side. When I need to get up, just roll it forward. Can also have it in front of me if I feel like sitting upright instead of reclining. Only issue has been making the cat get out of the way when I need to roll it.

I just got the table 2 days ago. But so far it is working better than holding the laptop in my lap, or on my stomach. I plan to add a monitor arm and USB-C dock to it for my MacBook. And strap a power strip to the underside to power everything. Then have a single power cable running to the wall. Was already planning to post some pics once I have it completed.

Reactions: entatlrg

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
I have a Herman Miller Aeron from the late Nineties, purchased at a massive discount at a liquidation sale by a bankrupt dotcom company. Yeah, it's about 22-23 years old. If it wasn't such a kickass office chair, I would have replaced it long ago.

If it ever breaks, I will likely replace it with a Steelcase Leap (or similar) which didn't come out until several years after I acquired the Aeron.

Perhaps just as important is a keyboard platform with adjustable height.

However, the most important ergonomic device is the properly adjusted full screen monitor.

Notebook computers are abysmal regarding ergonomics. Tiny screen at the wrong height and angle, keyboard and pointing device at the wrong height. Yes, I have owned notebook computers continuously for nearly twenty years but I won't spend more than about 75 minutes in front of one.

Last edited:

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I tried Aeron Herman Miller chair, Embody Herman Miller chair, and Steelcase Gesture.

Huw Price

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
London
With working from home since the epidemic hit, I just recently learned the value of a good desk chair. My back was seriously starting to hurt every night so I did some research on the best desk chair for ergonomics and was torn between the huge brands (Herman Miller, Steelcase, Knoll, etc.)

Decided to go with the Steelcase Leap V2 and haven't looked back. The design isn't the absolute prettiest - it gives off a very 90's corporate vibe, but all the reviews I read pointed to it being the perfect chair for most people. Other popular choices like the Aeron were either love it or hate it, and I just didn't want to take that risk. I was able to snag a Leap V2 on craigslist in great condition from a bank closing for $300, and I couldn't be happier.

How about you?
Aeron Chair, second hand in London for about £300 some years ago. Everytime there's a downturn in the financial districts Aeron chairs turn up seemingly by the van load. Not every chair is in good nick, discretion is needed.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Based on recommendations here, I just got a Herman Miller Aeron on EBay for $600 which is about half of retail. it was advertised as open box, but mine had signs of some slight use. Meanwhile, it is superb. I feel like its correcting my posture.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Based on recommendations here, I just got a Herman Miller Aeron on EBay for $600 which is about half of retail. it was advertised as open box, but mine had signs of some slight use. Meanwhile, it is superb. I feel like its correcting my posture.

Glad you love it! Aerons are amazing and unique chairs for sure. :)

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
In need of a new office chair - my back can’t much more of the current chair. I’m sitting for 6-8 hours daily.

What’s your recommendation?

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
If you live in a warm climate, the Herman Miller Aeron. If you live in a cold climate, the Herman Miller Embody. Both have a ton of customization options to tailor the chair to your body shape. I love the aluminum options.

Reactions: TVreporter

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
If you live in a warm climate, the Herman Miller Aeron. If you live in a cold climate, the Herman Miller Embody. Both have a ton of customization options to tailor the chair to your body shape. I love the aluminum options.

Both not good chairs in my opinion no offense. I tried both. Steelcase makes better chairs. Plus better warranty.

Steelcase Gesture has the best service.

I got a whole new chair free of charge shipped to me and old one shipped back to them before. Just because a small issue. It was not major. Did not effect the comfort or being able to use it. They wanted me to repair it myself sense no one was around my area to come out. Though they said if I didn't feel comfortable doing it they would send me a whole new chair free of charge.

That is service.

Herman Miller will not do this I asked before.

Sense you don't believe me I will get proof. :)

Last edited:

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
#1 recommendation -- go and try out various chairs to determine which one you find comfortable.

Not me, or anyone else, because fit, and preferences will differ. Also keep in mind that a model like the Aeron comes in different sizes.

A commercial-grade chair can be a costly investment, so take the time to do the research and shopping.

That extra cost brings better materials, build quality, and serviceability. Which means that unlike a cheap chair that becomes landfill fodder when it wears, or breaks, the spendy charis can be repaired, so there also exists a used/refurbished market for them, at lower cost.

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
I tend to gravitate towards chairs designed for gamers. I don't game, but gamers live in their chairs, so I figured they'd be my best shot at a chair to spend all day in. So far, that's worked out for me. But I agree with others, you should go sit in several, as chairs are a very subjective purchase, fit-wise.

Reactions: TVreporter

Lasermoon

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2020
AKRacing
I used to get through a chair every 2 years, so I have had many cheap, expensive, leather, fake leather, orthopaedic, fancy, gaming, but the best by far is the AKRAcing chair build quality is very good especially the underneath frame it's all metal the part that swivels and what it all screws into.
The only thing I don't like is the armrests, I screwed mine into position so they don't swivel now

All the other chairs iv'e had the base swivel bit screws into chip board and they wear and come loose and you are unable to tighten them, then they creak and become lop sided over time.
IMG_2358.jpeg
IMG_2359.jpeg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.