Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I have an Aeron at home that I've had for a handful of years and basically every desk chair at work is an Aeron as well. They are great, but I agree, you should probably go find somewhere that has a bunch that you can try if possible. I readily admit that I bought my personal Aeron as much for it being a design icon as it being a great task chair.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
The Aeron is mentioned often, and it is an excellent task chair if that is all the OP seeks.

But also keep in mind that it's not the most conventionally comfortable chair, and not well suited to anything other than sitting bolt upright and working. It's not a chair that one can kick back in, like an "executive" style chair.

It's the plebes in the salt mines who need the Aerons, not their masters in the executive offices smoking cigars made of C-notes with their feet plopped on the desk while they count their kitty.

Personally, I prefer something with some cushioning, and there are other chairs have that without sacrificing ergonomics.

Not dissimilar to mattresses; firm ones may be better for your back, but a lot of people don't find them comfortable.

And another good example of try before you buy.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
In need of a new office chair - my back can’t much more of the current chair. I’m sitting for 6-8 hours daily.

What’s your recommendation?

#1 recommendation -- go and try out various chairs to determine which one you find comfortable.

Not me, or anyone else, because fit, and preferences will differ. Also keep in mind that a model like the Aeron comes in different sizes.

A commercial-grade chair can be a costly investment, so take the time to do the research and shopping.

That extra cost brings better materials, build quality, and serviceability. Which means that unlike a cheap chair that becomes landfill fodder when it wears, or breaks, the spendy charis can be repaired, so there also exists a used/refurbished market for them, at lower cost.
@TVreporter: @TheIntruder (quoted above) has made some excellent suggestions, not least, to try out many different chairs for yourself, as size, fit, proportions, comfort, materials, quality, will all differ, and differ significantly. Personally, I also recommend arm rests.

This is an area where subjective preference does matter; we can advise you, but only you can tell whether a chair meets your own, specific needs.

To those I would add, while you may have set a budget, and a commercial grade chair will be costly, if you are sitting in a chair for six to eight hours a day, it is worth spending as much as your budget permits - as much as you can afford - on a chair that meets your needs and that you find comfortable.

My own chair was made to order by the German company Klöber, and is superb, offering comfort, quality and lumbar support. However, needless to say, this came at a price.

Last edited:
Reactions: max2 and TVreporter

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The Aeron is mentioned often, and it is an excellent task chair if that is all the OP seeks.

But also keep in mind that it's not the most conventionally comfortable chair, and not well suited to anything other than sitting bolt upright and working. It's not a chair that one can kick back in, like an "executive" style chair.

It's the plebes in the salt mines who need the Aerons, not their masters in the executive offices smoking cigars made of C-notes with their feet plopped on the desk while they count their kitty.

Personally, I prefer something with some cushioning, and there are other chairs have that without sacrificing ergonomics.

Not dissimilar to mattresses; firm ones may be better for your back, but a lot of people don't find them comfortable.

And another good example of try before you buy.
Excellent points re comfort, as this is something that is entirely subjective but is also something very necessary for the OP to decide for him or her self.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My immediate practical advice to the OP - @TVreporter - would be to do some research online as to which companies make (manufacture) seriously good desk chairs, and then, either to visit, or make an appointment to visit, places that stock them in order to try them out personally.

And ask (as you have done here) for advice; I would never have heard of Klöber (my own desk chair is their Moteo Style "task chair" which had - I subsequently learned - actually won a "Red Dot" international design award around a decade ago) if I hadn't sought advice, and my German sister-in-law passionately recommended their chairs as she uses them herself.

Last edited:

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Early 1980s Steelcase Office Chair. I bought it around 1982 for about $190 and I still use it today. I find it very comfortable and it was clearly well-built. The color of mine is a solid light gray that you would expect in an office environment. $190 for 40 years of service is quite good.

My desk is a table that I bought when my employer was laying off a lot of people. They trucked the office furniture to a warehouse and allowed employees to buy stuff. I got a six feet by 3 feet table which will hold probably 1,000 pounds for $20 - the only thing is that I had to get it home myself. I got a could of these and it's my computer desk.

Screenshot 2023-01-02 at 10.07.41 AM.png

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Early 1980s Steelcase Office Chair. I bought it around 1982 for about $190 and I still use it today. I find it very comfortable and it was clearly well-built. The color of mine is a solid light gray that you would expect in an office environment. $190 for 40 years of service is quite good.

My desk is a table that I bought when my employer was laying off a lot of people. They trucked the office furniture to a warehouse and allowed employees to buy stuff. I got a six feet by 3 feet table which will hold probably 1,000 pounds for $20 - the only thing is that I had to get it home myself. I got a could of these and it's my computer desk.

View attachment 2135927

Nice! Looks absolutely gorgeous and brand new. Did the gray used to be not so yellowish?

Reactions: max2

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Nice! Looks absolutely gorgeous and brand new. Did the gray used to be not so yellowish?

That picture is just a stock picture that I found. The gray has not yellowed - it's still gray. Steelcase stuff was considered pretty expensive at the time. I have several other Steelcase pieces from the 1980s and 1990s that I picked up used for $10-$20 and they are still serviceable. They are generally side-chairs though.

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
46253A_1.jpg

I paid a little over $500 for this La-Z-Boy hoping it would feel as soft as a luxury car seat. Well, it doesn't. It is super solid built though.

Last edited:
Reactions: max2

johnb300m

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2008
Chicago, IL
Since our part time WFH schedule is looking permanent, I got a HM Mirra2 chair several months ago.
It's been really really comfortable. Maybe a bit more so than the Aeron chairs we have at the office.
I really like the absence of a foam seat pan, where it won't settle over the years.
And the Mirra's adjustable waterfall is helpful to adjust away any pressure points on the rear thighs.
mirra2.png

rohit361888

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2023
That's great to hear that you found a comfortable and supportive desk chair that has helped alleviate your back pain! The Steelcase Leap V2 is definitely a popular choice among those who prioritize ergonomics and comfort in their office chairs. It's great that you were able to find a good deal on Craigslist as well.

Many people have experienced similar back pain and discomfort while working from home during the pandemic, which has highlighted the importance of having a good desk chair to support our bodies during long hours of sitting. It's important to invest in a high-quality chair that provides the necessary support and adjustability to keep our bodies comfortable and healthy.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Steelcase Leap V2, and for emphasizing the importance of prioritizing comfort and ergonomics when it comes to choosing an office chair.
With working from home since the epidemic hit, I just recently learned the value of a good desk chair. My back was seriously starting to hurt every night so I did some research on the best desk chair for ergonomics and was torn between the huge brands (Herman Miller, Steelcase, Knoll, etc.)

Decided to go with the Steelcase Leap V2 and haven't looked back. The design isn't the absolute prettiest - it gives off a very 90's corporate vibe, but all the reviews I read pointed to it being the perfect chair for most people. Other popular choices like the Aeron were either love it or hate it, and I just didn't want to take that risk. I was able to snag a Leap V2 on craigslist in great condition from a bank closing for $300, and I couldn't be happier.

How about you?

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
At work, they supplied everyone with the Steelcase Amia chair. It's pretty good and no complaint about it. 2 years ago I decided to order the Steelcase Gesture w/headrest for myself at home. I particularly like the 360º arm.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have some chair from Office Max, a major manufacturer that I paid $300 for. It is comfortable, I thought it was leather, but it’s not, and the faux leather surface is now pealing off. It’s about 6 years old. My bad, I did not key in on the description, made an assumption, and faux leather is just another Fool’d Ya. Real leather usually holds up quite well. I have an easy chair in the family room that is well over 10 years old and it looks and feels great. My previous office chair was made of fabric and it lasted about 10 years, still have it as a spar and the material is still in great shape.

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
Another Aeron user here. Mine is totally ancient and was a well-worn freebie when my old employer moved offices and got new furniture. I replaced the wheels which were pretty dinged up. I think this thing has been in regular use for like 20 years now and it's showing its age but is still quite comfortable. I'd buy a new (er, reconditioned) one in a heartbeat. They aren't cheap but any piece of furniture you spend this much time on is worth spending money on.
Got it as a freebie?! Nice! 🙂

We have two HM Mirra 2. Ok, does job 🙂

AggiePhil

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2022
+1 for the Steelcase Gesture. A few years ago, I bought my own Neutral Posture chair for about $1,000. Then, shortly thereafter, my office got everyone Steelcase Gestures. I must say, the Gesture blows everything else I've used away.

Reactions: satcomer

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I have a Steelcase chair which I bought around 1980. I still use it daily and I'd love to buy another one but I'm pretty sure that they don't make it anymore. I can certainly say that it has stood the test of time. I bought it because the company I worked for bought them for their offices. It cost about $190 at the time which was a lot of money to spend for a chair back then.

I had an Aeron chair at work for a couple of years and did not find it as comfortable. I'd guess that it cost $1K as it had a ton of adjustments and seemed pretty sturdy.

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
I’m moving home and will be installing a completely new home office, where I spend many hours each day.

I’m looking for a comfortable office chair. One where I can both work comfortably, and lean back to read, or relax. I don’t want to spend thousands, but am willing to go to 5 or 600 for the right chair. I’m not keen on PU leather but would be happy with a good quality fabric or true leather.

I’m looking for suggestions, with images if you can, with pros and cons

Any thoughts appreciated

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.