Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeonIbis

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2020
I have the basic clear ESR Zero (flexible TPU; no magsafe ring). It fits well, gives good protection, and was very cheap. I don't like that it has a blue-ish tinge (something to do with the anti-yellowing, I'm guessing) and makes my white Pro look very cold/silvery, but that wouldn't be an issue depending on colour & individual preferences. It does show marks on the back but they wipe off easily. Also the popsocket adhesive sticks so well I don't think I could get it off if I tried! (The traditional sticky kind, not magnetic.)

dhson91

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013

Attachments

• IMG_3289.JPG
    IMG_3289.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_3290.JPG
    IMG_3290.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 158

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
All my ESR clears turned yellow pretty quickly last year. Now avoiding like the plague and gone for Otterbox instead

cawgijoe

macrumors regular
May 23, 2017
Virginia
Got the Raptic Air Clear yesterday for my 13 pro. It's got rubberized material on the sides which makes it less slippery than others. Feels good in the hand. The top and bottom and around the top sides, is a silver meatal band for protection and strength. I believe the back is a hard polycarbonate that hopefully won't yellow over time. The area around the camera is raised for camera protection. Very similar to other clear cases I'm assuming, but I do like their focus on drop protection. For a discounted price of $36 with free shipping, I can't complain.
Also, the free shipping took one day! Surprised the heck out of me.

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Torras clear case with MagSafe just arrived. I love the way it looks, especially with the orange buttons.

Attachments

• IMG_6107.jpg
    IMG_6107.jpg
    742.9 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_9395.jpg
    IMG_9395.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_9396.jpg
    IMG_9396.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_9397.jpg
    IMG_9397.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_9398.jpg
    IMG_9398.jpg
    524.2 KB · Views: 261
Reactions: vded and cawgijoe

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
I have dry hands so for me its not slippery.
if they are sweaty, yes, it becomes a little slippery.

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2002
I bought a few, including Spigen Ultra Hybrid.

The thinnest with magsafe, which I kept, is the Ringke Fusion.

I only bought ones that were soft or had at least a TPU frame with hard back (like Spigen Ultra Hybrid and Ringke Fusion). No hard snap on cases because they leave marks and abrasions on the metal part.

Thanks for the tip on the Ringke. Just received today and I like it much better than the Torras clear. The sides of the Ringke have more grip than the Torras, and the back is slightly Frosted, compared to the clear Torras. 9/10.

Ranking of cases that that I have so far:

1. Apple Silicone (Clay)
2. Ringke MagSafe Matte Clear
3. Apple Fine Woven (Taupe)
4. Torras Clear

Ordered but not received: Bullstap (Dune).

Last edited:
Reactions: cannono

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
I got a Spigen ultra hybrid clear. I like the feel of it. Grippy. But I’m almost certain this will go yellow sooner or later. They do advertise it’s anti yellowing but I bought Spiegen clear for my Dad twice for his 13PM and they all went yellow.

I like how some of you said the Ringke is thin. I may try it out. But then the TPU around the case will eventually go yellow. It’ll be a waste again. I rather buy something $50 and not yellowing.

Reactions: gusto5

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
I got a Spigen ultra hybrid clear. I like the feel of it. Grippy. But I’m almost certain this will go yellow sooner or later. They do advertise it’s anti yellowing but I bought Spiegen clear for my Dad twice for his 13PM and they all went yellow.

I like how some of you said the Ringke is thin. I may try it out. But then the TPU around the case will eventually go yellow. It’ll be a waste again. I rather buy something $50 and not yellowing.
I upgrade yearly, but I’d rather get two $19 cases I like and will need to replace than one $40 case I think will last but doesn’t feel as good

earthdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2014
I have used the Spigen Ultra since the 13 PM and every time about 4 months into it I send a picture and email about the yellowing. A new one shows up in the mail about a week later. Yay for customer service that's why I continue to use it on my 15PM as well.

Lyusi

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2021
I have used the Spigen Ultra since the 13 PM and every time about 4 months into it I send a picture and email about the yellowing. A new one shows up in the mail about a week later. Yay for customer service that's why I continue to use it on my 15PM as well.
So you prefer to continue to use a bad quality case instead to change it?

Lyusi

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2021
So you prefer to continue to use a bad quality case instead to change it

earthdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2014
So you prefer to continue to use a bad quality case instead to change it
Ouch... LOL. TPU will yellow sooner or later. I want the grip of TPU and clear at the same time. So proven Customer Service lets me have both.

Reactions: one more

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I like Apple’s clear cases and I got one of those, but I also ordered the dbrand ghost case. I’m a little skeptical at how durable that is though.

earthdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2014
I like Apple’s clear cases and I got one of those, but I also ordered the dbrand ghost case. I’m a little skeptical at how durable that is though.
I am very interested in the Dbrand Ghost as well looking forward to seeing user hands on reviews.

Reactions: gusto5

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
But then the TPU around the case will eventually go yellow. It’ll be a waste again. I rather buy something $50 and not yellowing.

As far as I know, there is no way to prevent TPU cases or parts yellowing, so I am very curious to know if you find something decent, as harder transparent plastic cases tend to scratch the iPhone’s sides. Perhaps with clear cases we need to accept yellowing as a given and change them every 3-6 months, like gloves. If this is so, then buying a soft slim TPU case like ESR Zero (around 10$) could be a better option. 🤷🏻‍♂️

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth

How do Apple’s clear cases handle putting them on and taking them off regularly to clean up the stuff that gets between the case and the iPhone? Is it as easy to remove as softer TPU offerings? Does it leave any marks on the iPhone metal sides after keeping it on for a while in your experience?

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
How do Apple’s clear cases handle putting them on and taking them off regularly to clean up the stuff that gets between the case and the iPhone? Is it as easy to remove as softer TPU offerings? Does it leave any marks on the iPhone metal sides after keeping it on for a while in your experience?
The case is very stiff and not easy to remove from the iPhone. Once you got it loose, the sides tend to show micro cracks.

Reactions: one more

SweetLou122

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
I picked up the Pelican ranger for the 15PM. Never had a clear/TPU case, but I like it so far. Hard to tell if it is more or less slippery than other clear cases, but doesn't seem to bad to me (for comparison, the most slick case I can remember was the symmetry I had on the 8 plus).

Pros:
-Relatively cheap $20 or less on sale
-snug fit with solid sides and bottom with minimal flex
-5 mm camera lip all the way around (primary reason for me picking this one versus Torras/spigen etc)
-Good magsafe, FW wallet has no issues so far, and camera lip probably actually helps from the wallet getting knocked off going in/out of pockets
-corners are beefed up

Cons:
-No action button (cutout version only as far as I can tell, not a huge deal for me).
-lip around the screen could be taller, would like a 1-2mm lip on each of the rear corners like some of their bigger cases have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.