Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
I'm kind of excited for this new turn, but I reckon it won't be as intuitive for the general consumer.

The Phazer

macrumors 68040
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I'm not expecting it to be worked radically, it'll just be a subtle shift in direction.

That said, if the Podcast App is killed and podcast functionality is just left in the music app, with improvements to syncing, then it'll be good news for everyone.

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Knowing Joni, it (software look) will be so polished that it will scratch too easily. Just like his iPhone 5 bevel edges and old iPod backs. ;)

Rockoar

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
Knowing Joni, it (software look) will be so polished that it will scratch too easily. Just like his iPhone 5 bevel edges and old iPod backs. ;)

Whats up with THAT. That's Ive major failure in my opinion. Yeah, they look quite beautiful when you get them out of the box but just 5 minute after it's all scratched up. I'm talking about the old iPod's back, NOT about the iPhone 5.

jordancrombie92

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2012
United Kingdom
Now Jon Ive is in charge of iOS, what features would you like to see in iOS 7?

I'm hoping that :
- all that tacky skeuomorphism will be gone!
- we will finally see 'active' icons
- there will be a new lock screen
- there will be an option for multiple app selection

anything else you would like to see?

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
I'm doubtful as to whether any major changes to iOS will come in at least the next 2 versions. Still, I hope I'm wrong, would be nice to see something fresh! :apple:

karlwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
A complete graphical overhaul and hopefully the dumping of stupid slow animations like when you click on folders and the screen "splits" (SO ugly).

Theres a lot of work to be done though. Id like widges and more custom choices as well, but the main thing here is not the amount of new functions but some desperately needed fresh thinking about how it should all come together.

Its about time. 2007 called, they want their software back. Im sure Sir Jony Ive will do amazing things like he has with hardware lately.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
A complete graphical overhaul and hopefully the dumping of stupid slow animations like when you click on folders and the screen "splits" (SO ugly).

Theres a lot of work to be done though. Id like widges and more custom choices as well, but the main thing here is not the amount of new functions but some desperately needed fresh thinking about how it should all come together.

Its about time. 2007 called, they want their software back. Im sure Sir Jony Ive will do amazing things like he has with hardware lately.

While i agree that iOS needs quite a lot of working done to it, stuff like widgets will never be on iOS.
Johnny will only be in charge of design not features.

jordancrombie92

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2012
United Kingdom
i agree that it needs a complete overhaul! id like to see widgets but not like android does em. Apple's special version of them. maybe that just means making the native apps 'active' and being able to change the size of them?

EDIT: a bit like window's phone?

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
man... poor bastard, this Jon Ive: I bet he hasn't realized the land mine he's stepped into. All the cry babies that take iOS too seriously and over analyze every single tiny bit of it. And in the end, there's no way to keep everybody happy. With hardware design there's always an end to any discussion. But with software design, everybody thinks they should have their own idea of how anything should look and work. Plus, the ability to further customize it. A real nightmare.

For what it's worth, I doubt Jon Ive's involvement in iOS will be permanent...

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Att.: Apple

Don't make the same mistake as Microsoft. It's awful.

Yeah, much as I admire Ive's stripped-down look in hardware, I'm not sure that I want 101 apps on my phone with no easy, out-of-the-corner-of-my-eye, way of telling them apart. Quirky as the skeumorphisms are, they make each app distinctive. So I can flip between tasks easily while doing other things like running to catch a flight or getting cash from an ATM.

So I hope that apps and different contexts keep their distinct identities - whether it's through skeumorphism or some other device. Imagine you went to a party where all your friends were wearing identical masks. It would certainly slow down your interactions with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.