Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
I am sure whatever Jony has going on, it will be the most polished and best looking. Thats his thing.

i'm excited, but hardware is vastly different than software. making a new GUI is extremely difficult

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Whats up with THAT. That's Ive major failure in my opinion. Yeah, they look quite beautiful when you get them out of the box but just 5 minute after it's all scratched up. I'm talking about the old iPod's back, NOT about the iPhone 5.

+1. I agree.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
how about pixel agnostic GUI, where they don't have to be rigid about the size of the display?

using vector art instead of sprites or whatever you call it

having 3D icons that take up actual 3D space on the desktop, being effected by lighting and movement

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
how about pixel agnostic GUI, where they don't have to be rigid about the size of the display?

using vector art instead of sprites or whatever you call it

having 3D icons that take up actual 3D space on the desktop, being effected by lighting and movement

These ideas make me happy. :)

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Overall, I'm mostly positive about Ive taking over because the OS has been stagnant for quite a while and the fanboy defense that "consumers will be confused if you change it" just doesnt fly anymore. BUT, I do worry a little about Jony Ive's tendency to take minimalistic design a little too far.

"Form over Function" is easier to hide in beautiful hardware since its mostly aesthetics, but when working with a UI then simplicity isn't always the best thing. But either way, I'm excited to see iOS outdated software finally catch up to their futuristic hardware.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So how does this actually work organizationally since Federighi is in charge of OSX/iOS and Cue has iTunes/iBooks/App Store? Who has the ultimate say what the final product looks like?

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
I would like an easier way to move the apps from page to page. The hold/jiggle and try to manuever always messes up for me! I do not connect my phone to computer either so that way of organizing is out of the conversation for me.

Another two features I loved when I was jailbroken was Dock Coverflow. I had 10 apps on my dock and flicked through them effortlessly.

Also a double click on the top status bar would open up a screenshot of all my active apps open and I could turn them off with one touch or switch to them instantly instead of the hold and jiggle method required now. Ahh I want JB for Iphone 5 now...haha

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
*Scrolls through each page looking for mockup, doesn't see one. Instantaneously disappointed*

Claefer

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
I believe you should lodge that complaint with the engineering team, not Ive.

Didn't Ive vote against adding some kind of protection to the back because it took away from the "integrity" of the device?

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Didn't Ive vote against adding some kind of protection to the back because it took away from the "integrity" of the device?

well, he's right. and there are a billion cases out there if you want.

how do you protect anything without a case?

arcade16

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
If they are smart, it will look like OS X in the pre-iOS era.

The clean, skeuomorphism-free aesthetic of, OS X Tiger drew myself and so many others to macs.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
If they are smart, it will look like OS X in the pre-iOS era.

The clean, skeuomorphism-free aesthetic of, OS X Tiger drew myself and so many others to macs.

OS X is just as dated looking as iOS

let's move forward instead of backwards

Ive has something new in his shaved noggin

Claefer

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
well, he's right. and there are a billion cases out there if you want.

how do you protect anything without a case?

Okay, I found the passage from Steve Jobs (the book, that is): The iPod Nano, for example, was prone to getting scratched because Ive believed that a clear coating would lessen the purity of his design.

Thanks, Jony!

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Okay, I found the passage from Steve Jobs (the book, that is): The iPod Nano, for example, was prone to getting scratched because Ive believed that a clear coating would lessen the purity of his design.

Thanks, Jony!

this is circular because the clear coating will also get scratched and the same people that would complain about the scratched back would also complain about the scratched coating

also, how is black anodization not a coating?

"Anodizing increases corrosion resistance and wear resistance, and provides better adhesion for paint primers and glues than does bare metal."

But people will bitch about the black protection being scratched

Claefer

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
this is circular because the clear coating will also get scratched and the same people that would complain about the scratched back would also complain about the scratched coating

also, how is black anodization not a coating?

"Anodizing increases corrosion resistance and wear resistance, and provides better adhesion for paint primers and glues than does bare metal."

But people will bitch about the black protection being scratched

People complain about anything and everything. I guess it's like when you buy a new car and the next day you see marks on the bumper or the door.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
People complain about anything and everything. I guess it's like when you buy a new car and the next day you see marks on the bumper or the door.

thanks Jony, you're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't :D

Deako

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
United Kingdom
An empty home screen (save for essential apps) with an applications icon. Hopefully. And then choose what we want, where we want it would be nice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.