Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shawmanus

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2006
Actually dell has already shipped merom notebooks to customers. So have HP/Gateway. You can even buy sony at circuit city/best buy.

macaddicted

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Down on Copperline...
I was kind of hoping for today as well, but I too didn't really expect it.

Photokina seems to be a more logical place to upgrade the MB/MBP, unless of course they do a silent upgrade.

(just covering all the bases...)

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
If you keep up the "whats coming up next" attitude chances are you will never buy a laptop. I would rather see Apple release a merom MBP when they have a complete solution, just putting the chip on the exsisting mainboard will produce little performance increases and probably a noticable heat increase. in all actuality your Merom will be crippled performance wise on the older board, whereas the Current Core/Duo is at optimal performance being that the board was made for it.

If you cant wait till next year just buy now, if you want a half-assed "pc like" solution go ahead and wait/hope that Apple will just plop a new chip there, but i have a feeling you will be waiting on in to next year.

I got tired of waiting & ordered my MBP on Sunday, all computers become obsolete in time. By the time all the major software companies upgrade their code to fully utilize 64 bit processors Merom will be outdated anyhow.

Ed

mcpusc

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
MacBook Pro's now have a ship date of 1-3 days. That, plus the slashdot'ers who got their ship dates pushed back to the 13th, makes me hope they're released tommorow.

I'll wait one more day. I have to order before the end of the week, as I have a friend with an internship at Apple that ends Friday. Losing that discount would be a major problem.

Edit: It's only 1-3 days for the low-end 15". D'oh.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
I totally agree with you there, however, they already made that half-assed solution in the iMac line... :(

Ed H said:
If you keep up the "whats coming up next" attitude chances are you will never buy a laptop. I would rather see Apple release a merom MBP when they have a complete solution, just putting the chip on the exsisting mainboard will produce little performance increases and probably a noticable heat increase. in all actuality your Merom will be crippled performance wise on the older board, whereas the Current Core/Duo is at optimal performance being that the board was made for it.

If you cant wait till next year just buy now, if you want a half-assed "pc like" solution go ahead and wait/hope that Apple will just plop a new chip there, but i have a feeling you will be waiting on in to next year.

I got tired of waiting & ordered my MBP on Sunday, all computers become obsolete in time. By the time all the major software companies upgrade their code to fully utilize 64 bit processors Merom will be outdated anyhow.

Ed

vega07

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
mcpusc said:
MacBook Pro's now have a ship date of 1-3 days. That, plus the slashdot'ers who got their ship dates pushed back to the 13th, makes me hope they're released tommorow.

I'll wait one more day. I have to order before the end of the week, as I have a friend with an internship at Apple that ends Friday. Losing that discount would be a major problem.

Edit: It's only 1-3 days for the low-end 15". D'oh.

umm..it still says within 24 hours for me.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Here is the estimates from my order.

All i changed was to 1GB of ram and a 100GB HD

Qty. Product Estimated Shipped By Estimated Delivered By
INCASE NEOPRENE SLEEVE FOR MBP 15 BK-USA
Sep 13, 2006 Sep 15, 2006
MBPRO 15/2.0 CTO
Show Details Hide Details
2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo
1GB 667 DDR2- 2x512 SO-DIMMS
100GB Serial ATA drive@5400rpm
SuperDrive (DVD+/-RW/CD-RW)
Glossy Widescreen Display
No optional SW
BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS
Airport Extreme Card & Bluetooth
Sep 15, 2006 Sep 20, 2006

Ill post a photo once they allow screenshots

Ed

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
Ed H said:

Ed

I haven't given up hope yet, but I've given myself to the Photokina event on the 26th, since that is more of a pro event anyway--it would seem to make more sense that C2D MBP's would release on that day (though hopefully earlier.)

And according to this PC Perspectives test on the Core 2 Duo, it performs better in just about every area--slightly cooler, better battery life, better power management. These aren't significant but they're measurable improvment nonetheless.
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=288&type=expert&pid=1

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
HecubusPro said:
And according to this PC Perspectives test on the Core 2 Duo, it performs better in just about every area--slightly cooler, better battery life, better power management. These aren't significant but they're measurable improvment nonetheless.
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=288&type=expert&pid=1

And according to other sites that have been posted in one of the 50 threads on this subject there isnt a noticeable difference in performance, they produce more heat, and they can use more power under load.

Again for me it was the fact that by the time all of the major software vendors start fully utilizing 64 bit processors the Merom will be outdated anyhow. The difference between a coreduo and a core2duo now really is minimal for "future proofing". Performance wise and heat wise ive seen more articles saying the difference is minimal, even reports that Merom can be worse with power consumption than the current chip. Articles tend to lean different ways when the gain/loss is so minimal that its hard to tell either way.

Ed

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Ed H said:
Here is the estimates from my order.

All i changed was to 1GB of ram and a 100GB HD

Qty. Product Estimated Shipped By Estimated Delivered By
INCASE NEOPRENE SLEEVE FOR MBP 15 BK-USA
Sep 13, 2006 Sep 15, 2006
MBPRO 15/2.0 CTO
Show Details Hide Details
2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo
1GB 667 DDR2- 2x512 SO-DIMMS
100GB Serial ATA drive@5400rpm
SuperDrive (DVD+/-RW/CD-RW)
Glossy Widescreen Display
No optional SW
BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS
Airport Extreme Card & Bluetooth
Sep 15, 2006 Sep 20, 2006

Ill post a photo once they allow screenshots

Ed

Yours is a CTO, nothing unusual.

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
Ed H said:
And according to other sites that have been posted in one of the 50 threads on this subject there isnt a noticeable difference in performance, they produce more heat, and they can use more power under load.

Again for me it was the fact that by the time all of the major software vendors start fully utilizing 64 bit processors the Merom will be outdated anyhow. The difference between a coreduo and a core2duo now really is minimal for "future proofing". Performance wise and heat wise ive seen more articles saying the difference is minimal, even reports that Merom can be worse with power consumption than the current chip. Articles tend to lean different ways when the gain/loss is so minimal that its hard to tell either way.

Ed

As I've said, I'm not hopelessly holding out for C2D MBP (I'm sure some people are holding out, but not everyone.) The 26th is my end date and I will be happy with a CD MBP. Since my friend has a CD macbook pro, I hope that I can really find out if the PC Perspective review is accurate, or the other sites posted in the other 50 threads are correct.

I'm glad you got a MBP, and you seem very justified in your purchase. I, and many other want to be justified in our decision to wait a little bit longer for a C2D MBP. We'll see when and if they actually release what difference there is in the systems.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
if you hold out for, say til 26th and nothing comes out, you'd be regretting why you didn't buy a month (or two) earlier and started enjoying it back them

btw, aren't we already on rev. B mbp, or does it have to be a HUGE revision for it to become revision B?

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
i'm jusy saying, because i know i would, and i believe a number of people would just because after they waited, nothing comes out, they are disappointed, if they knew that earlier, they'd have, well, not waited.

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
bearbo said:
i'm jusy saying, because i know i would, and i believe a number of people would just because after they waited, nothing comes out, they are disappointed, if they knew that earlier, they'd have, well, not waited.

I'm waiting until the 26th for my own reasons. I'm sure others have their reasons for waiting or not.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
bearbo said:
if you hold out for, say til 26th and nothing comes out, you'd be regretting why you didn't buy a month (or two) earlier and started enjoying it back them

What is there to enjoy? It is just a computer, get a life yourself.

bearbo said:

Woah... So you are saying Apple thinks they can blackmail us into buying a deprecated model just by withholding speedbumps when it is expected? Please don't insult our intelligence. We know it is forthcoming, if it doesn't come we will either make do or get PC alternatives, the morons will choose to give in to the blackmail of course....

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I still think the current model is tops and people who are sick of waiting I don't think would miss out on much if they went and bought a Yonah model. But obviously its your choice :cool:

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
viccles said:
I still think the current model is tops and people who are sick of waiting I don't think would miss out on much if they went and bought a Yonah model. But obviously its your choice :cool:

It really depends on perspective. You may see Yonah -> Merom as just a probably 200mhz increment. The way I see it, it is the end of literally an age... that started from 486s all the way up till now. It is a monumental change, it is worth waiting for. Will you regret it if you miss out on it? Probably not so soon, but it will eventually make a difference at some point.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
generik said:
It really depends on perspective. You may see Yonah -> Merom as just a probably 200mhz increment. The way I see it, it is the end of literally an age... that started from 486s all the way up till now. It is a monumental change, it is worth waiting for. Will you regret it if you miss out on it? Probably not so soon, but it will eventually make a difference at some point.

It may make a difference at some point but if you are looking at a computer for the near future then I don't think you'd have too many worries

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
viccles said:
It may make a difference at some point but if you are looking at a computer for the near future then I don't think you'd have too many worries

Near future is subjective. Some users on these very forums will even from time to time bring up their *insert ancient mac here* and mention how they are still useful today, x years after purchase!

One way or another 32 bit and 64 bit is going to affect the resale value of your Mac as well when it comes to your next upgrade... and why wouldn't it affect the resale? Is 64 bit more desirable? Can't find it in you to say no? Then yes, it is indeed more desirable, and likewise at some point this will be a differential factor in whether to place bid an additional $100 or sit it out.

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
viccles said:

I guess it's a peace-of-mind thing then.

I see no reason to wait for a C2D MBP. But I also am not in desperate need of a new computer at this instant. Now if my PC were to crap out on me tomorrow, you can bet I would be down at my local Apple store picking up my new computer.

But knowing that waiting will reward us (we hope:) ) with the "best" laptop apple offers, nay, the "best" laptop available, makes us feel all warm and fuzzy. At least it does me. I want that merom MBP. I want it. I don't need it this instant. Waiting a few more weeks isn't going to be fun, but it isn't going to kill me. If October comes and goes (yes, I just pushed my date back into October :D ), I'll look at my alternatives.

I'm very happy for all of those people who recently bought MBP's, or couldn't wait and bought them this past week or today. Excellent choice in computer! Whether you needed it or not is immaterial. You made a decision and it was the right one for you. I am waiting, and that is the right choice for me, and for others on this forum.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
generik said:
Near future is subjective. Some users on these very forums will even from time to time bring up their *insert ancient mac here* and mention how they are still useful today, x years after purchase!

One way or another 32 bit and 64 bit is going to affect the resale value of your Mac as well when it comes to your next upgrade... and why wouldn't it affect the resale? Is 64 bit more desirable? Can't find it in you to say no? Then yes, it is indeed more desirable, and likewise at some point this will be a differential factor in whether to place bid an additional $100 or sit it out.

It would affect the resale price I agree because it is older technology so I guess most would want to factor that in

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
By the time 64 bit goes mainstream, as in fully supported software from major vendors both Meron and Yonah will be old and low in value. Chances are most people would have upgraded either by then or around that time. I give it 4 years before 64 bit really takes off, as in software companies stop supporting/provide downgraded support for 32 bit processors, and i think that is a relatively generous timeframe.

Waiting for technology is and endless cycle, why not wait till 2 years from now when something better than whats out now will be out..

As far as longevity goes i think Merom and Yonah are in the same range, Merom would outpace Yonah once it ships with SR, but thats in April (or sooner maybe) so why dont you all keep waiting :D

Ed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.