Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
Ed H said:
By the time 64 bit goes mainstream, as in fully supported software from major vendors both Meron and Yonah will be old and low in value. Chances are most people would have upgraded either by then or around that time. I give it 4 years before 64 bit really takes off, as in software companies stop supporting/provide downgraded support for 32 bit processors, and i think that is a relatively generous timeframe.

Waiting for technology is and endless cycle, why not wait till 2 years from now when something better than whats out now will be out..

As far as longevity goes i think Merom and Yonah are in the same range, Merom would outpace Yonah once it ships with SR, but thats in April (or sooner maybe) so why dont you all keep waiting :D

Ed

I'm getting deja vu today. This discussion is becoming pointless and endless--pointless because some of us are of different minds. You wanted your computer. You got it, great. We wait because we want to. I don't need to get a MBP right now, so I see no reason to buy a MBP right now, until something happens such as a new rev., processor, GPU, and whatever else happens that makes me satisfied enough to buy that new system. If you can't understand or accept that, no worries. Be happy with what you have.:)

Gurutech

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2006
I upgrade (or atleast try to upgrade) my main computer every 18 months.
I bought MBP when it first came out, and I'm planning to upgrade around this time next year. Then perhaps I will be able to enjoy 64 bit computing power and Santa Rosa platform... or better :)

Since this MBP, I don't have to own two computer (Mac OS and PC laptop) for all my work, and it's been really great (of course .. could've been perfect if my MBP doens't have heat issue)

I'd probably buy MBP even a month ago.. but now, with Merom already out, I'd wait. Anyhow, good luck to all of you guys who are waiting :D

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
I'd say a 10% performance increase in selected areas wouldn't make that much of a difference.
Those areas were content creation if I remember correctly.

Neither would 64-bitness, seeing that nobody makes cheap >1 GB chips on the laptop sockets.

Buy when you need it, wait when you want it. :)

ormandj

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
I'm waiting because of a possible complete redesign. The 32/64bit-ness and the slight performance difference doesn't really matter that much, but the possibility of a major redesign does. Resale value on pre-redesign laptops would drop like a rock, not to mention the new design could very well be much better. It's worth a wait until EOM for me, since I am in no rush to purchase.

Don't use the "enjoy for a month" argument either, I've got plenty of macs around me to keep me "enjoying" computers until I'm good and ready. ;)

sierra oscar

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
South Australia, Australia
HecubusPro said:
...We wait because we want to...

I agree - and we all have different reasons to 'wait' also. For me, I don't care about any new up and coming processor speed bump, architecture improvement or new O/S - I just want a clean revision - revB if possible for any bugs to be well and truly ironed out.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
After G said:
I'd say a 10% performance increase in selected areas wouldn't make that much of a difference.
Those areas were content creation if I remember correctly.

Neither would 64-bitness, seeing that nobody makes cheap >1 GB chips on the laptop sockets.

Buy when you need it, wait when you want it. :)

After G - the performance increase in selected areas is as high as 50% - average performance increase has been documented in the 10% - 14% range - your comment presents a much lower improvement than most of the benchmark tests ON SHIPPING PRODUCTION units is showing. Add a magnetic closure, fast swap hard drive bay, improved cooling system........ sounds attractive IF that heads our way soon (no - I do not even know what I mean by soon anymore) :eek:

Your closing line is pretty good though - exactly where circumstances will direct me.

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
I posted this in the "Page 2" thread, but I thought it would be worth posting here as well...

From Hardmac.com...

http://www2.hardmac.com/news/2006-09-12/#5901
Hardmac.com said:
As forecast, there will be an Apple Special Event at the beginning of the Photokina in Cologne (Köln) on September 25th from 4.30 to 5.30 pm.
With two special events in a month, be dead sure Apple is going for a big hype!

Anothing event, another day. What will happen? What will be announced? Who knows? Steve does.

Gurutech

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2006
I don't really think upgrading from Yonah to Merom is worthy of holding special event anymore.

I suspect that we will see the silent upgrade of MBP and MB just like iMac in near future.

Machead III

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2002
UK, France
This is like pulling-teeth. The endless waiting Apple is putting us through just to figure out where we stand is just so aggrovating. If Apple have to announce before the products are available so that we can decide where we stand financially, fine, so be it, this is just childish.

Silently update the f**king thngs now already, this delay is just pointless.

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
Gurutech said:
I don't really think upgrading from Yonah to Merom is worthy of holding special event anymore.

I suspect that we will see the silent upgrade of MBP and MB just like iMac in near future.

This sounds about right to me. If it is only going to be a yonah to merom update and nothing else, it will be silent. If anything, with all of the new features the iMac offers I think that THAT should have been revealed at a special event. MB and MBP will be silent, and I think they will both be released at the same time. Low end PC models even offer C2D and some people think that the macbook will not receive it with the mbp? Please. :eek:

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
JMies419 said:
This sounds about right to me. If it is only going to be a yonah to merom update and nothing else, it will be silent. If anything, with all of the new features the iMac offers I think that THAT should have been revealed at a special event. MB and MBP will be silent, and I think they will both be released at the same time. Low end PC models even offer C2D and some people think that the macbook will not receive it with the mbp? Please. :eek:

Silent is good! In fact why even have it on Tuesdays, anyday is good! Release it damned it :mad: :p :eek:

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
London, UK
I reckon they will update it next week the same way they did the iMacs silently the week before a big show I reckon they will do the MBP's silently the week before a big show.

richyfp

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2004
Better CTO options

Judging by the recent Mac mini upgrades (which use 2.5" disks), a new MBP might also bring the option of a 160 Gb HD as CTO or maybe even as standard on the 17". That would up the maximum storage by 33%, which is pretty significant.

Also, hopefully they'll bring the 15" more on par with the 17" with a DL Superdrive, FW800 and three USB 2 ports (or some combination thereof). That would be nice. I'm waiting til the end of September. Fingers crossed!

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Gurutech said:
I upgrade (or atleast try to upgrade) my main computer every 18 months.
when you upgrade your main computer every 18 months, do you sell back your previous main computer, or do you demote it to your secondary computer?

if you sell it after 18 months of use, how much do you usually get back?
i'm trying to do a calculation, to see how much does the computer's value go down over time averagely.. thanks

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
Foggy said:
I reckon they will update it next week the same way they did the iMacs silently the week before a big show I reckon they will do the MBP's silently the week before a big show.

In a way, that almost makes more sense than updating during the show, given the fact they updated the iMacs last week before yesterday's big press event. And considering it seems like apple is hosting another event on the 25th right as Photokina is about to start, possibly announcing Aperture updates, new iSight, photo related stuff, it makes sense to go ahead and get the MBP updates out a week early to make room for those announcements.

Then again, I'm probably wrong. :)

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
bearbo said:
when you upgrade your main computer every 18 months, do you sell back your previous main computer, or do you demote it to your secondary computer?

if you sell it after 18 months of use, how much do you usually get back?
i'm trying to do a calculation, to see how much does the computer's value go down over time averagely.. thanks

This probably has changed in the past year, with the switch to intel.

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
ZoomZoomZoom said:
This probably has changed in the past year, with the switch to intel.

eBay would be the best place to check for consistent pricing on current and older systems. I recently sold my G3 iBook and got a little over $300 for it, which was in keeping with what most people were making on the same system.

Matiandos

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2006
viccles said:
I still think the current model is tops and people who are sick of waiting I don't think would miss out on much if they went and bought a Yonah model. But obviously its your choice :cool:

signed & enjoying my MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.