Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Should get32/33 mins per frame, something else must be slowing it down. Could be the raid, spotlight, check the activity monitor. Keep HT on.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
i was running -8, should i be running -16?

spotlight shouldnt have been an issue-- it had been on for hours and theres no user accounts on it. raid wasnt on yet.

not stressing too much about it. it's nice to replace a bunch of random machines (especially imacs) with one big producer that actually has a big fan and is designed to get rid of heat fast. those imacs get so hot i get scared for the components. we've had several go out recently. the fan hole on the back is so small its almost comical. apple can't have a fan on the back thats bigger than the logo! it can't have a hard drive light or a cd eject! that would ruin the aesthetics! can't replace the harddrive without suction cups!! needless to say i hate imacs.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I don't want to be ignorant, but I thought that HT was all about utilising the unused portions of each core. But if you're running F@H shouldn't those cores be fully utilised anyway?

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
right now its reformatting into a RAID, boss wanted to RAID it. lost 2 frames no biggie. here's what i got before that

[22:05:44] pleted 2500 out of 250000 steps (1%)
[22:54:37] Completed 5000 out of 250000 steps (2%)

so thats about 50 mins per frame. i was thinking maybe that was due to the clock speed being 2.26 or the HT. the old 3ghz MP does a frame in the low to mid 40s

wont get to test until tomorrow

I run this:
Code:
./fah6 -bigadv -smp 16 -local
which works all 16 cores/threads, check activity monitor to see how many cores are running, there should be 16 total. The first time I started it there were only 4 running so I shut it down and restarted with the -smp 16 in it and that did the trick.
I don't want to be ignorant, but I thought that HT was all about utilising the unused portions of each core. But if you're running F@H shouldn't those cores be fully utilised anyway?
2.26 to 2.66 shouldn't make that big of a difference and I didn't know you could even turn HT off, even if you wanted to.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
cool thats probably it then, the -16.

the processor trick is with the dev tools. there's a prefpane where u can turn off individual cores, and turn off hyperthreading. too bad there's not a dev tool for overclocking ;)

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa

the processor trick is with the dev tools. there's a prefpane where u can turn off individual cores, and turn off hyperthreading. too bad there's not a dev tool for overclocking ;)

Oh yeah, I remember that now, about something in dev tools, that would be really interesting to have oc tools as well.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

alright. let us know how the -16 works. i've read on the folding forums about some people having more success with -15, you might even give that a try also

We might take team Lituania today ;)

i hope so

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
To become a relevant team, we need to reach 250k units per day, almost double the current rate. We need 70 more iMacs/MacBooks or 5 8-core systems.

We have reached 200k PPD, nice power up...
Keep going, we need more bigadv users...

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
We might take team Lituania today ;)

We got them!
Well, we may pass each other back and forth a few times before we can really pull away...
Next target: 2.3 weeks away! Keep Folding!

And a little pat in the back as I just took the #8 spot on the team. Watch out this week #7! After it gets more tricky and WhiteRabbit is coming behind faaaaast...

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
We got them!
Well, we may pass each other back and forth a few times before we can really pull away...

And a little pat in the back as I just took the #8 spot on the team. Watch out this week #7! After it gets more tricky and WhiteRabbit is coming behind faaaaast...

was' up Doc! Yeah, looks like we will do musical chairs with Lithuania again maybe, he he, hope they are up to it :D

You know the story about the rabbit and the frog? Good, neither do I :p Oh, and pat on the back too.

That dang i7 is going back to normal units until I can figure out why it is so sloooooow... like a tortise...

Belly-laughs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2003
you wish
i engaged an octo late last week, will set up another tomorrow. they both run 24/7.

the graphic designers using them rarely require more than 1 core anyway :)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
We got them!

looks like we're ahead now i think

That dang i7 is going back to normal units until I can figure out why it is so sloooooow... like a tortise...

how slow?

i engaged an octo late last week, will set up another tomorrow. they both run 24/7.

alright! nice! let us know how they are doing, and run the bigadv units if you can

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008

Welcome!
Please run the bigadv units, you will get much better PPD. It looks like you are running the regular SMP client for now.
Use -smp 8 if the are 2008 or earlier, -smp 16 if they are 2009 otco...

Belly-laughs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2003
you wish
alright! nice! let us know how they are doing, and run the bigadv units if you can

Welcome!
Please run the bigadv units, you will get much better PPD. It looks like you are running the regular SMP client for now.
Use -smp 8 if the are 2008 or earlier, -smp 16 if they are 2009 otco...

Both computers now up-and-running. No complaints from the designers regarding poor performance :)

I'm running the standard client, I'll look into the other options when I got some spare time.

It's quite remarkable to see the performance boost compared to my G5 dual 1.8 that's been folding for years.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Both computers now up-and-running. No complaints from the designers regarding poor performance :)

I'm running the standard client, I'll look into the other options when I got some spare time.

It's quite remarkable to see the performance boost compared to my G5 dual 1.8 that's been folding for years.

glad to hear it. just so you know, the bigadv units will get you some big time points. it really is worth it if the machine is fast enough, and i'm pretty sure those are

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.