Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
i'm adding a bunch of machines for the break, should see some good #s

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I've got my passkey! Now I have a couple of my machines working on units. I have a small Linux Render farm that I'll put online here shortly.

Oh, please do get that render farm going! Well, when you have some time anyway :p

Also you can put the passkey in all instances of folding that you are running that way it you will get as much credit as possible.

MacProCpo

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
By "small render farm", I mean small! It's made up of 6 Dell GX270, running P4 2.4ghz single core, with my MP as the Que controller (Ubuntu via Parallels). But they should working out pretty good for continuous folding for the time being. I'm building 5 dual processor, dual core Xeon servers (all 2.66ghz) to replace the Dells but that won't happen until the end of December (i'm getting ready to move from Japan back to the States in two weeks and I have most of my stuff packed up). Once I get settled back in the States and have the new servers running, I should be able to commit some good firepower towards the team effort.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
By "small render farm", I mean small! It's made up of 6 Dell GX270, running P4 2.4ghz single core, with my MP as the Que controller (Ubuntu via Parallels). But they should working out pretty good for continuous folding for the time being. I'm building 5 dual processor, dual core Xeon servers (all 2.66ghz) to replace the Dells but that won't happen until the end of December (i'm getting ready to move from Japan back to the States in two weeks and I have most of my stuff packed up). Once I get settled back in the States and have the new servers running, I should be able to commit some good firepower towards the team effort.

Wow, I haven't been anywhere but here for a really long time, I'm starting to solidify I think. I spent some time in Europe long before the wall came down, but then again the Huns were still roaming around - or was that dinosaurs...

We'll give ya' a while to get set up before we set the hounds on ya' :D In the mean time maybe you have a calculator or abacus you can use in your spare time, ya' know, foldingbyhand I think it's called :p

Cheers and welcome back!

MacProCpo

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
Wow, I haven't been anywhere but here for a really long time, I'm starting to solidify I think. I spent some time in Europe long before the wall came down, but then again the Huns were still roaming around - or was that dinosaurs...

We'll give ya' a while to get set up before we set the hounds on ya' :D In the mean time maybe you have a calculator or abacus you can use in your spare time, ya' know, foldingbyhand I think it's called :p

Cheers and welcome back!

I appreciate the welcome back! The Navy has had me all over the world this last decade! I'm going to Norfolk, Va for my last couple of years before I retire. Hopefully my wife will have her college education completed by then and I can stay home and play "Mr. Mom"........and goof around with Blender and the farm full time (oh, and tinker with my cars too:D)!!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

sounds good.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I think I have lost 7 -10k points from the 10th 11th and 12th instead of gaining ~60-70k pts. the 10th I had ~3420 the 11th was ~7200 and the 12th was ~3420. now it's ~3420, 0 and I think 0. Don't suppose it would do any good to complain since I don't have any "proof" of what happened.

Oh well it's just a "game" anyway :rolleyes: and as long as I'm doing something meaningfull that is what really counts anyway. I'm not smart enough to contribute to science myself so this is my way to add to our knowledge of the universe and life.

Anyway, happy Thanksgiving to everyone everywhere and may your points pile up.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I think I have lost 7 -10k points from the 10th 11th and 12th instead of gaining ~60-70k pts. the 10th I had ~3420 the 11th was ~7200 and the 12th was ~3420. now it's ~3420, 0 and I think 0. Don't suppose it would do any good to complain since I don't have any "proof" of what happened.

Oh well it's just a "game" anyway :rolleyes: and as long as I'm doing something meaningfull that is what really counts anyway. I'm not smart enough to contribute to science myself so this is my way to add to our knowledge of the universe and life.

Anyway, happy Thanksgiving to everyone everywhere and may your points pile up.

yeah i'm not sure how i lost, but i know i lost a bigadv unit. but yeah, as long as we're contributing to a good cause, that's what counts.

and happy Thanksgiving to you as well :)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I lost a bigadv unit too. I think they will credit it back but it will take time.

i hope they do. we'll see.

in the meantime, i'm thinking about putting a few video cards in my 2006 mac pro to fold with - since it's only getting like 3500 ppd running the smp client. i know i'll have to run windows to do the GPU2 client for now, but it might be worth it.

does anyone know if this card will work? and could i put 2 or 3 or 4 in there?

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
i hope they do. we'll see.

in the meantime, i'm thinking about putting a few video cards in my 2006 mac pro to fold with - since it's only getting like 3500 ppd running the smp client. i know i'll have to run windows to do the GPU2 client for now, but it might be worth it.

does anyone know if this card will work? and could i put 2 or 3 or 4 in there?

The GeForce 9800 will work from what I have seen, thy this thread for more info. and here google "gpu folding" to find all kinds of info

Let us know how it goes if you do get one to try.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
The GeForce 9800 will work from what I have seen, thy this thread for more info. and here google "gpu folding" to find all kinds of info

Let us know how it goes if you do get one to try.

thanks for the reply and links. i'm not sure if the 9800GT is the route i'll go. but if i could run 2 of those, i'd probably get better ppd than just the smp on my mac pro. i might even try a better card if it'll work

MacProCpo

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
8 WUs down, working on 9, and one more to go before I can get into bigadv.......:D

Does anyone have experience working with GPU2 and ATI cards? I've been playing around with my 4870 GPUs in Windoze and they don't seem to be running any faster then SMP in OSX. I've followed the the ATI GPU install guide on the f@h website i just don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing with regards to productivity.

Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving!

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
We need these bigadv, ClubLexus has raised their production to match ours...

For GPU, it is faster on nvidia...

MacProCpo

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
Guys, need some help. I have 10 WU completed and I want to get bigadv going. I've read the setup how-to on F@H and am a little lost. Am I correct to say all I have to do to initiate bigadv is put the "-bigadv" string in my parameter block in the smp client control window?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Guys, need some help. I have 10 WU completed and I want to get bigadv going. I've read the setup how-to on F@H and am a little lost. Am I correct to say all I have to do to initiate bigadv is put the "-bigadv" string in my parameter block in the smp client control window?

are you running the console version? most people around here usually run that (i think) in terminal. that's what i do. and i'd advise that for you as well. that way, you just add "-bigadv" in the terminal command.

but i think you can do it in the other version as well. basically yes, all you need to add is "-bigadv"

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
are you running the console version? most people around here usually run that (i think) in terminal. that's what i do. and i'd advise that for you as well. that way, you just add "-bigadv" in the terminal command.

but i think you can do it in the other version as well. basically yes, all you need to add is "-bigadv"

You may need to set the unit size in config to "big", it wont take bigadv units if it is set to normal.

MacProCpo

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
Since it's a slow and lazy Saturday at home, I decided to get the PS3 folding. So now I have the MP, my MacBook, two of 6 unix machines, my wife's iMac, and my PS3 folding.........what have you guys done to me? ;)

All the folding happiness will be coming to a close on Dec 7th though. That's when the movers show up to do the final packing and ship all my household goods. I should be back up and running full-on by mid Jan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.