Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
Hello Fellow Mojavians!

I thought since our early and now neglected OSX Mojave has its own forum,
we Mojavians should have their own "what have you done with one today" thread too.

I have found Mojave can have all sorts of uses, even in 2021 and on still functional macs including a MacBook Air!
besides being used a platform for Catalina OSX then to BigSur etc.
I'd say the possibilities are pretty endless as far as day to day use.

I can start this tread by stating that My Macbook air running MOJAVE today was great for internet purposes,
editing and cropping a photo, whew, i has really holding my breathe!
streaming Music to a wifi Speaker (Roger Hodgson's- "Open The Door" the FULL album) in stereo,
sending and receiving some email
and typing this post. (fingers crossed)
And without having to log into my iCloud account 5 times as Catalina demanded.

hopefully we Mojavians can still use this useful and easier interface hopefully forbore December.

any tips and comments will be helpful!

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I'm still using Mojave on my late 2014 Mac Mini. I haven't run into anything I want to do that it won't let me do, somehow. The only "glitch" so far is a bank website that does not play nice with Safari. I have to use Firefox, and I expect that to work for a long time to come.

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
I'm currently using macOS Mojave 10.14.6 on my 2013 Mac Pro. This system is for mission-critical work and has been rock-solid. I use it for all sorts of things... surfing the internet, movies, music, playing games, maintaining my website, scientific computing (via Mathematica), typesetting research articles (via LaTeX), etc.

richmlow

Last edited:

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hello Fellow Mojavians!

we Mojavians should have their own "what have you done with one today" thread too.

I have found Mojave can have all sorts of uses, even in 2021 and on still functional macs including a MacBook Air!

I can start this tread by stating that My Macbook air running MOJAVE today was great for internet purposes,
streaming Music to a wifi Speaker (Roger Hodgson's- "Open The Door" the FULL album) in stereo,

hopefully we Mojavians can still use this useful and easier interface hopefully forbore December.

Bizarre. You describe Mojave as if it was Snow Leopard. As if it were older than Emperor Nero himself. Why do you use the world "obsolete". Where did you get the idea that Mojave was obsolete? Who told you so? If I remember well, there was a Security update not so long ago. Your post looks like you want to convince yourself that your machines on Mojave are not obsolete. Really don't get your post.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Now that Monterey is out, there will not be any updates to Mojave.
Only Monterey/Big Sur/Catalina.

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
Bizarre. You describe Mojave as if it was Snow Leopard. As if it were older than Emperor Nero himself. Why do you use the world "obsolete". Where did you get the idea that Mojave was obsolete? Who told you so? If I remember well, there was a Security update not so long ago. Your post looks like you want to convince yourself that your machines on Mojave are not obsolete. Really don't get your post.
the main reason is maybe someone from Cupertino might read these and might care.
and there are many out there whom love and stopped at Mojave, besides me.
we are having fun with this topic
while maybe help each other incase something helps our  computers rung Mojave.

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
Bizarre. You describe Mojave as if it was Snow Leopard. As if it were older than Emperor Nero himself. Why do you use the world "obsolete". Where did you get the idea that Mojave was obsolete?
As a fellow Mojave user, I read the original post as tongue-in-cheek. We've got other threads on the boards, such as "What have you done with an old Intel Mac today?" or "What have you done with a PowerPC Mac today?" The idea is to showcase how older software and hardware is more than adequate for many people's computing needs/desires. The "obsolete" reference is because nominally, Apple is no longer providing software updates for Mojave - so we're now in the "unsupported" club that includes the old Intels and the PowerPCs, etc.

It's all just a bit of fun. ;)

Urtuluk

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2021
Hello Fellow Mojavians!

As a fellow High Sierrian, I want to say you that you are not alone. We the Yosemiti, the Captains, the Sierrians as well as Saint Catalini, we the Fellowship of the Sacred Obsolescence, heard cries of the ancients and will see end of the Bigsuromans. Let us say again and remember, how fortunate the Man with none!

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
As a fellow High Sierrian, I want to say you that you are not alone. We the Yosemiti, the Captains, the Sierrians as well as Saint Catalini, we the Fellowship of the Sacred Obsolescence, heard cries of the ancients and will see end of the Bigsuromans. Let us say again and remember, how fortunate the Man with none!
bravo!
and lets pay heed to the Mountain_lionmens!

KayEm6419

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2020

Nomadic Intelian here, having wandered out of the desert perchance to find a new macOasiS home.
Perhaps the Creative Visionaries of Cupertino and their storied Bu$iness Brigade will see the capital wisdom of a new supportive landing for us, where we are freed from premature deprecation, and all associated et ceteras, etc.

Enjoy the day, good Fellows!

jpow112

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2007
Hobbyist music production on my MacBook Pro 2015, Mac Mini 2012, and MacBook Air 2015 - Native Instruments Kontakt, PG Music BIAB, MainStage, various add-ons and modules, obsolete interfaces such as Roland VG-99 etc.

All works like clockwork on Mojave - really don’t see any point in upgrading.

Once it starts falling to pieces maybe…

Main machine is the MacBook 15” 2015 - still going strong on 2nd battery, but battery life fading gradually. Main annoyance is the fans going crazy on most webpages. I use my ipad for casual browsing though.

I also have my old 15” PowerBook - still running Tiger - but I’ve not turned it on in a while…

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
Roland VG-99 etc

Main machine is the MacBook 15” 2015 - still going strong on 2nd battery, but battery life fading gradually. Main annoyance is the fans going crazy on most webpages. I use my ipad for casual browsing though.
Roland, the synthesizer company?
i had a Korg in 1993 and 2 Moogs.
that has to be great mixing music on a laptop instead of a multi track tape.

i might purchase a 2013 or '15 Pro, but the battery replacement is agonizing, i heard
the air is strong enough to do many things but not upgradable/swappable RAM
but the air i have now seems to be RAM tough!

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
Hobbyist music production on my MacBook Pro 2015, Mac Mini 2012, and MacBook Air 2015 - Native Instruments Kontakt, PG Music BIAB, MainStage, various add-ons and modules, obsolete interfaces such as Roland VG-99 etc.

All works like clockwork on Mojave - really don’t see any point in upgrading.

Once it starts falling to pieces maybe…

I also have my old 15” PowerBook - still running Tiger - but I’ve not turned it on in a while…
Likewise, I have a FULL AUDIO RIG (Logic etc) for the road, on a 2015 MacBook Pro 16GB (32bit/64bit) ALL DAMN DAY, that 9 months ago just put a new battery in, and put a new OWC 1TB SSD "blade" with a 2011 17" also for the house running Logic and Snow Leopard for (32bit/64bit/Rosetta) ALL DAMN DAY! And we'll PRAY they last unless I have to buy another 2015 MacBook Pro, and put ANOTHER 1TB SSD inside, in say 5-10 years, ALL DAMN DAY!

Gotta have OWC ssd replaceable on these 2015 machine, for SSDs that get "ripped". So yeah we're good guys!

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Welp, in trying to install Monterey onto an external SSD, I managed to screw up either my firmware or partition for recovery on my 2018 mini running Mojave. Am no longer able to do a Cmd R at bootup. I was able to install Monterey onto the external SSD, play with it, start falling in love, then I decided to reboot into Mojave, at which point everything went to poop. I now can no longer see any of my bootable Monterey thumbdrives or SSDs in the Startup Disk utility :/ Sometimes I wonder what the heck Apple is doing.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
Welp, in trying to install Monterey onto an external SSD, I managed to screw up either my firmware or partition for recovery on my 2018 mini running Mojave. Am no longer able to do a Cmd R at bootup. I was able to install Monterey onto the external SSD, play with it, start falling in love, then I decided to reboot into Mojave, at which point everything went to poop. I now can no longer see any of my bootable Monterey thumbdrives or SSDs in the Startup Disk utility :/ Sometimes I wonder what the heck Apple is doing.
i think and read that Monterrey reboots in option mode by pressing the power button down instead of the cmd r sequence.
i agree, what the heck is apple doing?

Patrice Brousseau

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
Montréal, Canada
My two … ahem… Hackintoshes are running like clockworks with Mojave. One for music duties (Studio One, Reaper, Kontakt, etc…) and the other one for office work. I also have an MBP 13 inches Retina 2015 and it will stay too on Mojave.

The old ancient (but indestructible) MBP early 2011 is frozen at Sierra and will stay there.

When it works, why would I create unnecessary troubles?

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
My two … ahem… Hackintoshes are running like clockworks with Mojave. One for music duties (Studio One, Reaper, Kontakt, etc…) and the other one for office work. I also have an MBP 13 inches Retina 2015 and it will stay too on Mojave.

The old ancient (but indestructible) MBP early 2011 is frozen at Sierra and will stay there.

That's awesome if I made a Hackintosh, they would DEFINITELY be ahem, STUCK on Mojave! So cool...

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011

you can probably get that 2011 to join the mojave party with opencore legacy patcher!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.