Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Its a shame there isn't some law that says if a company no longer supports software they released for X number of years, they have to open source it so the community of users can support it themselves... bet that would change the number of years Apple provides updates to their OS versions beyond the 3 years they currently do. =)

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
i just realized i am now downloading and installing Mojave the  way, without a patch, or shut-offs
Tuesday i luckily picked up a 2012 mini for $125- and found out now that sports a i7 processor!
i never had one of those processors, never thought i was worth that....

does this mean i am a computer geek?

KayEm6419

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2020
i just realized i am now downloading and installing Mojave the  way, without a patch, or shut-offs
Tuesday i luckily picked up a 2012 mini for $125- and found out now that sports a i7 processor!
i never had one of those processors, never thought i was worth that....

does this mean i am a computer geek?

Hello MBAir2010,

Hope you have a grand time with your new mini! Sounds like a sweet machine, well deserved.

Richard Devine has an article at imore.com written for your newfound inner Geek:

How to upgrade the 2012 Mac Mini for use 2021​

The 2012 Mac Mini held a special place in many hearts thanks to how easy it was to upgrade. It remains Apple's last properly upgradeable Mac Mini, and even in 2020 can be a pretty handy little computer with the right bits inside. Here we'll walk you through breathing new life into your old Mac for not a lot of money. ...more

Wishing you great good health and happiness throughout this next New Year!

Cheers! ???
KM

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
Hello MBAir2010,

Hope you have a grand time with your new mini! Sounds like a sweet machine, well deserved.

Richard Devine has an article at imore.com written for your newfound inner Geek:
thanks for the message, i read this page recently and was encouraged by yje ease of upgrade.
I'm waiting for a fan which should come next week, so the mini is on hold
i installed a WD blue 500 SATA ssd drive today
and the start up was 3 seconds and the response time between apps was extremely fast!
i even luckily pair an anger BT keyboard today, and might bet a track pad soon.

thanks again!

and
gomacnobak.JPG

Last edited:

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Worked on some photos today in Lightroom 6.14. I don't see the point in paying for the subscription model when it gives me no benefits and costs more in the long run. I will eventually have to switch to something else, but that is years out as my A7S II works perfectly fine for me.
Truth be told, when I got my A7S II about a year ago and upgraded the CameraRaw I had to call up Adobe and was given a special download link to the older version. They have claimed to not have CS6 Suite for Mac online for whatever reason.
Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 8.21.26 PM.png

conmee

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2019
Reno, NV
Mojavians,

Won’t lie I’d been playing around with Monterey a bit over the holidays but I have to say there isn’t anything it can do that I need or want enough to leave Mojave (2019 MacBook Pro). And with a few features already AS-exclusive, I believe that will be a trend for the next one or two OS releases that still support Intel before we reach the end of the line with Intel compatible macOS releases. Unless Apple introduces something truly game changing that is also Intel Mac compatible, I think Mojave is the end of the line for me.

I really like the fact that the Intel Macs have been jack of all trades type machines, being able to run macOS, Linux (easier pre-touchbar/pre-T2), and Windows. I rarely used Bootcamp but I use Parallels to run Windows 7 and Windows XP (tons of old school games), and I even still dink around with OS/2 and old versions of DOS in virtual machines just for the heck of it. But one mission critical application for Parallels that I prefer not to live without is I can run an image of my work laptop (Dell) in a VM using Parallels so I have the convenience of running my work machine on my Mac and just swiping between macOS and the work VM. I really would like to not give up that convenience. Sure I can keep an Intel Mac on hand for that type of situation and to run all my old Wintel OSes, but I’ll be less likely to fire up a separate machine to reminisce and play Unreal or Doom rather than the current convenience of just firing up a VM. So Apple Silicon (and latest UI) currently aren’t part of my future computing plans.

Anyhow, no real point to this post other than the Midwinter Musings of a Mojavian™.™️

Think I’ll fire up Castle Wolfenstein in DOS 3.30 in a Parallels VM on an Intel MacBook Pro running Mojave.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
Mojavians,

Won’t lie I’d been playing around with Monterey a bit over the holidays but I have to say there isn’t anything it can do that I need or want enough to leave Mojave (2019 MacBook Pro).
the Mac mini ran Catalina for 1 hour last week and might get Monterry on the second drive today.
If i feel the effort is worth a 2nd drive.

We Mojavians can use other OS, i might need a newer one to play HBO on safari, which Mojave does not like.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
Worked on some photos today in Lightroom 6.14. I don't see the point in paying for the subscription model when it gives me no benefits and costs more in the long run. I will eventually have to switch to something else, but that is years out as my A7S II works perfectly fine for me.
Truth be told, when I got my A7S II about a year ago and upgraded the CameraRaw I had to call up Adobe and was given a special download link to the older version. They have claimed to not have CS6 Suite for Mac online for whatever reason.
View attachment 1940587
that os a great photo!
is lightroom light photoshop?
thanks in advance!

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
that os a great photo!
is lightroom light photoshop?
thanks in advance!
Thanks!
Lightroom is an image organization program, think iPhoto/Photos on steroids. Photoshop is more about image manipulation and doesn't categorize or sort your photos for you.

Today I learned why my scratch disk was giving me issues. Too much power draw over the hub! Time to buy more hubs.
Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 10.13.29 PM.png

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
I picked up a Dell WD15 off ebay for $10 a while back and decided to revisit today to solve the NVME power issue. Didn't solve it so I'll have to figure something else about that BUT it did solve my Mini's sleep issue.
Also dropped 2x WD Blue 2TB 2.5 Sata drives in my Thunderbolt 2 RAID enclosure. I use the RAID enclosure for my photos and had it in a 2x 8TB RAID 1 for years. Slow but safe.

A local computer store had the WD Blues on sale so I swapped it out and now my 110k+ Lightroom library loads instantly instead of hanging and taking eons to get anywhere. RAID 0 all the way for SSDs.

Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 12.21.05 PM.png

Reactions: MBAir2010

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I'm typing on a 2015 MacBook Pro running Mojave right now. I could run Monterey but I don't have a real reason to upgrade and there are a few problems with Monterey. My main issue at the moment is a memory leak. I have two other Macs on Big Sur and one on Monterey. Not touching Catalina.

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
Catalina just doesn’t work right with my iMac Late 2013, iTunes just has major issues. Safari just crashes on me Or some sites just crashes out. Mojave just runs fast and perfect on this machine.

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
Mojave appreciates these comments by continuing to provide sturdy, safe and great screen saver enjoyment!
also
I'm watching The Mandalorian via an apple tv 3gen in great Bose sound via mojave
the picture is sharp and sound clear!

i guess i could do this in snow leopard tho......

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Mojave appreciates these comments by continuing to provide sturdy, safe and great screen saver enjoyment!
also
I'm watching The Mandalorian via an apple tv 3gen in great Bose sound via mojave
the picture is sharp and sound clear!

i guess i could do this in snow leopard tho......
Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 11.46.01 PM.png

Looks like Mavericks is the lowest officially you can go for Disney+. I'm not sure what SL hardware can run that could even run AV1 codec outside of the Mac Pro.

Reactions: KeesMacPro

conmee

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2019
Reno, NV
I'm typing on a 2015 MacBook Pro running Mojave right now. I could run Monterey but I don't have a real reason to upgrade and there are a few problems with Monterey. My main issue at the moment is a memory leak. I have two other Macs on Big Sur and one on Monterey. Not touching Catalina.
My 2015 15” MBP was my favorite MacBook. Wish I could have put my 2019 display, CPU, GPU, and 32gb of memory in that form factor.

Random comment: Maybe just me but I also liked the separate round metal power button and those tiny LEDs on the side of the MacBook indicating battery charge on the pre-Retina MacBook Pro. I don’t care for the power button to be in the function key rows.

Long live Mojave!

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
Everyone still happy?
we have lost some internet comforts, like HBO and some sites not launching as before.
but everything else seems smooth sailing
for now.....

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

conmee

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2019
Reno, NV
I built a Monterey virtual machine in Parallels to play around with.

Random thoughts: I figure eventually Apple will release the final macOS that supports Intel and then we’ll have three years of software support from that date from folks like Microsoft and Intuit as they appear to now be following Apple’s standard macOS support window (and probably hundreds of other vendors), so let’s say this year’s macOS is the last Intel compatible, October-ish 2025 all Intel macs finally out in the cold. Maybe we get one more in 2023, so October-ish 2026. That puts my fully loaded 2019 MBP at 7 years old when all Intel support stops (for me). All in all not the worst, wouldn’t mind having longer support. I usually replace machines every 5 years or so, but with no more Intel MBPs, I’ll have to decide if I move to an AS MBP or keep what I have and run windows in bootcamp or possibly Linux (if drivers for touchbar and T2 ever get made). Or just get a Windows machine which at this point is the least desirable option for me.

So what was my point? Uh… lol… oh, so to continue using Mojave as the main OS on my MBP and use Parallels to run whatever is the last macOS supporting Intel for purposes of extending life of laptop without upgrading Mojave. Or could bite the bullet now and jump to Big Sur (Monterey still looking like a work in progress, what with memory leaks and other issues). But what does that buy me besides some extra OS updates and maybe the occasional app requiring a newer OS (looking at you Microsoft 365 and TurboTax)? As I’ve played around with BS and Monterey, there aren’t really any features since Catalina that I would use. So BS and Monterey for me would just be a new UI and intro of some AS-only features that Intel won’t get. And this and next year’s OS probably won’t be different in that every OS from Monterey onward really will be tuned/crafted for AS as it should be (not really complaining about that).

So if I leave Mojave behind, here are the advantages in my use case (in addition to extended support and app compatibility):

Catalina: In addition to saying goodbye to my handful of 32-bit games and one or two apps, I do appreciated the separate write-only system partition and Activation lock as additional security features starting in Catalina. I also like better iCloud integration/feature layout in Preferences, a dedicated Find My app to track family members (put the booze away before wife gets home, etc), and I like that Reminders works/syncs with iCloud/iPhone which doesn’t work on Mojave depending on whether or not you upgraded your Notes back when iOS 13 came out. And it’s the same UI I’ve become used to the past 12+ years. That’s really it for Catalina advantages for me.

Big Sur: Same benefits as Catalina but with an extra year of support and new UI. The new UI could be seen as a disadvantage depending on your preference (I still prefer Mojave/Catalina UI). As I’ve played around with Big Sur I also realize the widgets are a lot less useful than the Catalina widgets. For instance, I follow about 25 stocks on iPhone stock app. I can see the first 12 (that’s how I’ve set it) in the macOS widget and can scroll inside the widget. Same with weather, I can click on the widget and get 7-day and hourly forecasts. In Big Sur/Monterey, I can only see a max of six stocks and if I click the widget anywhere it goes to the Stocks app. Same with weather. Not sure why the widgets aren’t interactive in the Notification Center anymore but this seems like going backward in terms of functionality. I actually do like the top right menu bar with time/date right justified, I can hide spotlight icon, and in general I like the more iOS like functionality with drop down menu for audio, connections, etc. So based on these items, it seems like Big Sur is a step backward from Catalina. UI some hits mostly misses. So not sure Big Sur is the answer other than knowing it’s the last macOS that has feature parity between AS and Intel models.

Monterey: Same benefits as Catalina, same drawbacks as Big Sur, but longer support window given it’s the current macOS. The only thing I’ve come across that I like so far is the ability to finally export Keychain/Safari logins/passwords. The password management is a definite advantage over Catalina/Big Sur. And as we all know some features were introduced that don’t work on our Intel MBPs. So other than password mgmt, nothing enticing me to install Monterey. And I know everyone had their preference, but the startup background is horrible. Much prefer Big Sur background or a landscape or how about an option to just select a solid color or gradient? Seeing the pinkishpurpleishewhite background just starts things off on a bad footing… ;-)

Ok so that’s my Mojave stream-of-consciousness. Ha! Anyone else grappling with the decision to hold on to Mojave at all costs, or just throw in the towel and embrace Apple’s vision of the future with Big Sur/Monterey?

Stay strong, fellow Mojavians!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.