Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
i think and read that Monterrey reboots in option mode by pressing the power button down instead of the cmd r sequence.
i agree, what the heck is apple doing?
Yes, that was the problem, to switch I have to press the option key. Shut off, wait 10 seconds. Turn on and hold option key until the apple comes on. Tab between boot options. Boy do I feel stupid. Granted I did have to switch from my Dell keyboard to an official apple one with the option key ? Yeah Monterrey works. Yeah, I’m in love with the Finder preview option. Yeah, it’s surprisingly fast even running off an external SSD. Monitor works nicely.

Patrice Brousseau

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
Montréal, Canada
you can probably get that 2011 to join the mojave party with opencore legacy patcher!
Yes I could but I read this: « • Built-in iSight cameras: Currently, built-in iSight cameras do not work correctly on some machines. It seems to be hit or miss, but when installing, expect your iSight camera to be non-functional. »

As I rely sometimes on my camera, I don’t want to take the risk… even if I guess that with a good Sierra backup I could go back easily.

Reactions: MBAir2010

conmee

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2019
Reno, NV
Hail, fellow Mojavians!

Today on my 2019 MacBook Pro, I ran the pure, unadulterated, Intel-only Mojave, with not a single line of ARM/AS/M1 code nor any AS-only features. I fired up iTunes and savored (metaphorically) the completely accurate music metadata and album art and the many features that didn’t make it into the Music App. I changed my login and lock screen backgrounds without issue, and fired up Doom 3 for 30 minutes of casual demon spawn destruction. Lastly, launched a mediocre game called Gunship III (Carrier Landings) and it features the USS Constellation, the carrier my father served on during Vietnam. It’s more for sentimental value, as I continue to crash on approach (the flight physics aren’t what you’d call realistic).

Take care my fellow Mojavians!

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Another Mojavian here, glad to see the Mojave universe is still working for so many others !
On a secondary old computer, what would you suggest to install:

No crapalina, between big Sur and Monterey, which one does less issues?
I have two apps to try and alas, they only work from 10.15 onward.

I tried in the past to install a different system on an external disc but it ruined my computer putting some c$#@ on it anyway, I gues they become tethered. Never again. I had to reinstall Mojave

Last edited:

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Long time not reading you !
Well, I come bearing bad news... iTunes 12.6 is dead in Big Sur. I couldn’t log into the store. #85
The Windows version works just fine in Crossover and probably in Wine.
I still have Mojave installed as a back-up stable system that I can rely on for work. But after the sluggish Catalina, I am very pleased with Big Sur. It feels fast like High Sierra. :)

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Well, I come bearing bad news... iTunes 12.6 is dead in Big Sur. I couldn’t log into the store. #85
The Windows version works just fine in Crossover and probably in Wine.
I still have Mojave installed as a back-up stable system that I can rely on for work. But after the sluggish Catalina, I am very pleased with Big Sur. It feels fast like High Sierra. :)
I'm not going to install it on my main computer but on a second one , thanks as usual for the heads up!
Does Apple configurator work on Big Sur?

conmee

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2019
Reno, NV
Happy Thanksgiving, fellow Mojavians!

In between football and turkey, for fun I mapped F4 to display the Dashboard for old time's sake and did some Imperial to Metric conversions and a couple sessions of the Tile Game (interestingly, I've never played it previously, looks to have a Yosemite-inspired image). And while in Terminal, I turned off the System Preferences badge that pops up for updates/upgrades (yeah, softwareupdate --ignore never going to be deprecated in Mojave, baby!). And because it's still there in Mojave, I fired up Network Utility and pinged all the devices on my network. Gobble, gobble!

Take care, Mojavians!

KayEm6419

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2020
Happy Thanksgiving, fellow Mojavians!

In between football and turkey, for fun I mapped F4 to display the Dashboard for old time's sake and did some Imperial to Metric conversions and a couple sessions of the Tile Game (interestingly, I've never played it previously, looks to have a Yosemite-inspired image). And while in Terminal, I turned off the System Preferences badge that pops up for updates/upgrades (yeah, softwareupdate --ignore never going to be deprecated in Mojave, baby!). And because it's still there in Mojave, I fired up Network Utility and pinged all the devices on my network. Gobble, gobble!

Take care, Mojavians!

Happy Thanksgiving to you, conmee!

Appreciate your enthusiastic tales of Mojavian derring-do. You really know our desert terrain well.

Obsolete? I think not...

Best, KM (sojourning for a bit on Cat Island in an Intelian APFS)

tompaulman

macrumors member
May 16, 2021
Today I used Mojave to do all the usual stuff that I do with my main machine - browsed the web, read emails, downloaded new music and started a new online course. This is my main OS and it will probably stay my main OS for years to come, until one of these conditions is met:
- both of my obsolete (2008 and 2011) MBP die
- both of my obsolete MBP will become slow beyond usability, something like PowerBook Titanium in 2021
- Mojave won't allow me to do my daily activities anymore, i.e. there won't be any supported browser or mail client anymore
- Apple releases an OS that will be user-friendly, intuitive, stable and won't look like iOS. Mojave is the last OS that meets these criteria

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Today I used Mojave to do all the usual stuff that I do with my main machine - browsed the web, read emails, downloaded new music and started a new online course. This is my main OS and it will probably stay my main OS for years to come, until one of these conditions is met:
- both of my obsolete (2008 and 2011) MBP die
- both of my obsolete MBP will become slow beyond usability, something like PowerBook Titanium in 2021
- Mojave won't allow me to do my daily activities anymore, i.e. there won't be any supported browser or mail client anymore
- Apple releases an OS that will be user-friendly, intuitive, stable and won't look like iOS. Mojave is the last OS that meets these criteria
Your criteria, my criteria.
The last one : my dream.

conmee

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2019
Reno, NV
Fellow Mojavians,

I have a 2019 MacBook Pro and based on my configuration is likely the most powerful MacBook that can run and came preinstalled with Mojave. The build date June 24, 2019 was shortly before Catalina was released. This will probably be my final Mac unless the current Big Sur/Monterey UI changes or allows for themes (among other reasons). But I have a feeling that macOS may only support Intel for a few more releases and I don’t anticipate a UI change before Intel support is dropped.

The general direction of both Apple and Microsoft in tying more and more functionality to the cloud/walled garden has me considering Linux in the future. But for now, I would expect Mojave+Intel will work just fine for another 3-5 years or longer. Not worried about security updates as I’ve never been hacked/infected once in 30 years. Although back in the mid/late 90s, Microsoft Word/Windows 95/98 were plagued by those annoying macro “viruses” that were fairly easy to clean up. Not to mention, we have all been compromised by the major credit bureaus and retailers that have all our important info. I’ve got a small stack of notices from Experian, Adobe, Best Buy, Google, Blue Shield, my university informing me that their systems have been compromised at some point during the past four years. Maybe others have been hacked/ransomed. But I keep regular backups and don’t click on questionable email/sites, and it’s worked for me for a few decades. I also think hackers know that Apple more or less strongly encourages annual updates, and with all macOS sitting at 6.85% globally and Mojave 6.83% of THAT 6.85%, I don’t think anyone will be wasting time on any Mojave exploits in the future. Given the quality of Apple software QA recently, I’m sure hackers will have more than enough exploits to work with in future macOS. And as someone else said in this thread maybe, with Apple no longer pushing updates to Mojave, that means no more random bugs or breaking software/functionality. (Wow, apologies for the long security update digression, guess just telling myself no more security updates will be OK lol).

Fired up Adobe Creative Suite 6.5 Photoshop, amazing how it's at least 10 years old and does 90% of what current Photoshop does (although I used Affinity now). I also used a nifty 32-bit app called MPEG Slipstream that works with MPEG videos.

The only software I use that doesn’t work for me so far on Mojave is Turbotax. They sent me an email saying that to use their 2021 software, I’d need at least Catalina (and I’m sure next year it will be at least Big Sur, and so on), so I guess H&R Block software does my taxes this year.

The only thing I wouldn’t mind having on Mojave as of today is the ability to sync Reminders. As we all know, that functionality broke with iOS 13. Anyone know of a workaround? I tried to copy the Reminders app from Catalina but won’t execute on Mojave. I’m sure some tweaks could be done to make it executable, but I’m not willing to put too much time into that effort. :)

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
Fellow Mojavians,

I have a 2019 MacBook Pro and based on my configuration is likely the most powerful MacBook that can run and came preinstalled with Mojave. The build date June 24, 2019 was shortly before Catalina was released. This will probably be my final Mac unless the current Big Sur/Monterey UI changes or allows for themes (among other reasons). But I have a feeling that macOS may only support Intel for a few more releases and I don’t anticipate a UI change before Intel support is dropped.

The general direction of both Apple and Microsoft in tying more and more functionality to the cloud/walled garden has me considering Linux in the future. But for now, I would expect Mojave+Intel will work just fine for another 3-5 years or longer. Not worried about security updates as I’ve never been hacked/infected once in 30 years. Although back in the mid/late 90s, Microsoft Word/Windows 95/98 were plagued by those annoying macro “viruses” that were fairly easy to clean up. Not to mention, we have all been compromised by the major credit bureaus and retailers that have all our important info. I’ve got a small stack of notices from Experian, Adobe, Best Buy, Google, Blue Shield, my university informing me that their systems have been compromised at some point during the past four years. Maybe others have been hacked/ransomed. But I keep regular backups and don’t click on questionable email/sites, and it’s worked for me for a few decades. I also think hackers know that Apple more or less strongly encourages annual updates, and with all macOS sitting at 6.85% globally and Mojave 6.83% of THAT 6.85%, I don’t think anyone will be wasting time on any Mojave exploits in the future. Given the quality of Apple software QA recently, I’m sure hackers will have more than enough exploits to work with in future macOS. And as someone else said in this thread maybe, with Apple no longer pushing updates to Mojave, that means no more random bugs or breaking software/functionality. (Wow, apologies for the long security update digression, guess just telling myself no more security updates will be OK lol).

Fired up Adobe Creative Suite 6.5 Photoshop, amazing how it's at least 10 years old and does 90% of what current Photoshop does (although I used Affinity now). I also used a nifty 32-bit app called MPEG Slipstream that works with MPEG videos.

The only software I use that doesn’t work for me so far on Mojave is Turbotax. They sent me an email saying that to use their 2021 software, I’d need at least Catalina (and I’m sure next year it will be at least Big Sur, and so on), so I guess H&R Block software does my taxes this year.

The only thing I wouldn’t mind having on Mojave as of today is the ability to sync Reminders. As we all know, that functionality broke with iOS 13. Anyone know of a workaround? I tried to copy the Reminders app from Catalina but won’t execute on Mojave. I’m sure some tweaks could be done to make it executable, but I’m not willing to put too much time into that effort. :)
Excellent post!
i use hr block
reminders works on my end, macbook air ipad 15, but this was august

Reactions: conmee

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I believe Reminders will still work if you never “upgraded” your Reminders back in 2019. Not sure. But Reminders on my MacBook and on my iPhone don’t sync these days.
Same here: I don’t know why Apple had to do that and “punish ” who stayed on Mojave.
I’m using only reminders on iPhone and iPad , both still on 14.8.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
welp reminders don't sync in via the clouds with Mojave with 10S 15
another annoyance from apple.
still not worth catalinaing anymore!

many members here insist that apple never enforces updates
and it is our freedom of choice not to upgrade,
but in this case
not upgrading means one will not have all the features provided.

Reactions: katbel

tompaulman

macrumors member
May 16, 2021
I second this. Shared reminders are the only thing that I miss. I heard there was a workaround by using another storage (not iCloud) but when I checked it out, I found out that it was not free.
Also, shared Notes started acting up in Mojave after I updated to iOS15. Sometimes they just randomly disappear from Notes in Mojave only to reappear later.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I second this. Shared reminders are the only thing that I miss. I heard there was a workaround by using another storage (not iCloud) but when I checked it out, I found out that it was not free.
Also, shared Notes started acting up in Mojave after I updated to iOS15. Sometimes they just randomly disappear from Notes in Mojave only to reappear later.
A workaround is to use Safari-iCloud reminders in Mojave instead of the app, but you need to sign in .

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
I still use Mojave my main OS on my last Mac. I have a Samsung laptop that I quite like and don't see myself buying another Mac ever again. Too much of a reliance on depreciated software.

A few days ago I learned just how efficient Affinity Photo is. I've been transitioning to Affinity over the course of a few months and decided to plug in one of my big .PSB files into it. Pretty impressive it squashed it down to under half its size. Thanks for nothing Adobe.

unknown.png

conmee

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2019
Reno, NV
Changed my startup/login background to a Christmas theme today... let's see Big Sur/Monterey do that. ;-)

So how long before we Mojavians end up in the "Older OS X Versions" forum category? Before or after Monterey's successor?

Older.png

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
@Gregg2 I hope we'll get another 12 months. I have a newer used Macbook Air - present ;) - incoming, to be on the safe side in case I get horrible alerts for my current setup. Fingers crossed.

Happy Holidays and an Apple New Year 2022! :cool:

Edit: Made a screencap for future generations to come into my family.

We'll be remembered because they'll know what we did in 2021, fellow Mojavians!

Screenshot 2021-12-24 at 22.34.59.png

/Thank you @conmee for the idea.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.