Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Mojave tips: use Carbon Copy Cloner 5 to clone a Mojave boot drive into a drive partition formatted to MacOS Extended (journaled) rather than APFS...
Only if you havn't a SSD yet. Also if e.g. you have a Fusion drive.
On a SSD Mojave runs better with APFS.

Last edited:

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
Only if you havn't a SSD yet. Also if e.g. you have a Fusion drive.
On a SSD Mojave runs better with APFS.
Define "better". (It's certainly not faster with APFS, and, whatever its other ostensible dubious merits, APFS increases the complexity of easily creating bootable backups immensely, not to mention an utter dearth of recovery utilities should anything ever snarl up your data partition.)

Last edited:

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
Minghold said:
"A couple hundred TB" isn't that much if you're a video professional -- which meant, paradoxically, the 2012-era machines most likely to be affected were the high-end 3.12TB fusion-drive systems (I've seen multiple smart-failures of both the SSDs and hhds, but none before APFS).
It is never a good idea to use your system disk as a scratch disk. Always write to a separate drive for video/animation (because as you say, you disk gets hammered).
Boldfaced context unaddressed by nonsequiturious response.

Reactions: MarkC426

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Define "better". (It's certainly not faster with APFS, and, whatever its other ostensible dubious merits, APFS increases the complexity of easily creating bootable backups immensely, not to mention an utter dearth of recovery utilities should anything ever snarl up your data partition.)
Better= better handling of SSD Read/Writes, longer life of the SSD medium.
Normally on a SSD once, it dies, everything is lost. Don't expect to read sectors like on an rotating drive.
Recovery utilities will already fail by accessing the controller, that is my experience.

The separate data partition you speak of came only later, with Catalina

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
Better= better handling of SSD Read/Writes, longer life of the SSD medium.
Propaganda at odds with reality.
Normally on a SSD once, it dies, everything is lost.
<sigh> <ignite blade>
Don't expect to read sectors like on an rotating drive.
I made no reference to dead drives.
The separate data partition you speak of came only later, with Catalina
Which is why Mojave can be cloned back into HFS+, but Catalina cannot. (Catalina sucking the high, hard one being a common theme of these 32bit & HFS+ threads.)

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
APFS increases the complexity of easily creating bootable backups immensely.
Wher did you get that assertion from?
Crucial contextual word bolded, underlined, and italicized so that the avatarless respondent might understand the reality of the "assertion". (There were at least three or four utilities one could use to create bootable external clones of one's operating system in HFS, whereas there's only one that half-ass works with APFS.)

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Crucial contextual word bolded, underlined, and italicized so that the avatarless respondent might understand the reality of the "assertion". (There were at least three or four utilities one could use to create bootable external clones of one's operating system in HFS, whereas there's only one that half-ass works with APFS.)
R i d i c u l o u s !
CCC never has any problem making bootable clones neither with HFS+, nor with APFS on Mojave.
In fact: it is not even aware of the file system below.
The problem you are addressing comes with newer mocOS versions and their system partitions, not with APFS.
And there it had to struggle with Apple's restrictions.

And ‒ by the way – the system boots on an EFI that is not APFS, but plain FAT16.

Last edited:

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
There were at least three or four utilities one could use to create bootable external clones of one's operating system in HFS, whereas there's only one that half-ass works with APFS.
R i d i c u l o u s !
CCC never has any problem making bootable clones neither with HFS+, nor with APFS on Mojave.
Now name a second utility that can make a bootable backup of an APFS OS from Catalina onward.

(See the "single source dependency" problem for an overview of the issue that I am highlighting here.)
The problem you are addressing comes with newer mocOS versions and their system partitions, not with APFS.
And there it had to struggle with Apple's restrictions.
No blip. What do you think I'vebeen grousing about in these threads?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

No *business* that cares about, say, the redundant security of being to deploy particular configuration to its machines via "sneakernet" (i.e., manual cloning from external "master" physical backups) in the event anything ever happens to its network, will ever use the newer Apple machines sans a good deal of trepidation, and not at all if it refrains from having a network for whatever reason.

In short, Apple is abandoning its prior end-users in deference to its new "customers": the shadowy intelligence patrons that control "evil big tech" now, which are pursuing their own agendas of escalating dependency: They want you on their "cloud" 24/7, and for you to have little to no control over "your" computer. <insert meme of Neo waking up in The Matrix, and all the rows of pods have Apple logos>

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Now name a second utility that can make a bootable backup of an APFS OS from Catalina onward.
dd (that was easy ;))

Again, APFS is not the culprit. but Apple's decision to lock pretty much everything.
In short, Apple is abandoning its prior end-users in deference to its new "customers": the shadowy intelligence patrons that control "evil big tech" now, which are pursuing their own agendas of escalating dependency: They want you on their "cloud" 24/7, and for you to have little to no control over "your" computer.
I don't appeal that.

Last edited:

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
dd (that was easy ;))
Insofar as I am aware, DDrescue (a linux utility) it does not have the ability to create a viable bootable clone partition of a partition. Blitzing the entire target drive is the only option. DDr is also useless if the machines to be serviced are running an OS that forbears USB-booting -- because there's no way to launch the utility.
Again, APFS is not the culprit.
APFS thrashes rotational drives, and Apple cheerfully insists that everyone with a thinside intel iMac or MacMini (85% of 2012-2020 machines) "upgrade" to Catalina or other APFS OS.
...but Apple's decision to lock pretty much everything.
There are multiple legs on Apple's new stool-of-suck. (Spotlight telemetry is another stool-leg.)

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Insofar as I am aware, DDrescue (a linux utility) it does not have the ability to create a viable bootable clone partition of a partition. Blitzing the entire target drive is the only option. DDr is also useless if the machines to be serviced are running an OS that forbears USB-booting -- because there's no way to launch the utility.
You just have got no clue.
The macOS command dd if=/dev/rdisk0 of=/dev/rdisk1 bs=1m will backup anything from disk0 to disk1.
It makes a 1.1 copy of the full drive.
APFS thrashes rotational drives,
That's true ! Don't use APFS on spinners.
and Apple cheerfully insists that everyone with a thinside intel iMac or MacMini (85% of 2012-2020 machines) "upgrade" to Catalina or other APFS OS.
Apple can stomp with it's foot that Cupertino gets an earthquake, I won't, but I happily use APFS.

Last edited:

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
You just have got no clue.
(When I moderate forums elsewhere, one of the highlights of my day is summarily dispatching generic avatarless alphanumeric-handled users at the first hint of overweening smug. Kid, if you're gonna gamma-crow, at least get yourself a fedora.)
The macOS command dd if=/dev/rdisk0 of=/dev/rdisk1 bs=1m will backup anything from disk0 to disk1. It makes a 1.1 copy of the full drive.
Because "a 1.1 copy of the full drive" perfectly satisfies a requirement for "a viable bootable clone partition of a partition" exactly how?

I even italicized the pertinent word *twice*, and you <blanked-out> right over it.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Because "a 1.1 copy of the full drive" perfectly satisfies a requirement for "a viable bootable clone partition of a partition" exactly how?
If you prefer to clone only a partition, dd is your friend too:
dd if=/dev/disk0s1 of=/dev/disk1s2 bs=1m
Will raw copy partition 1 of disk 0 to partition 2 of disk1.
It's just somewhat slower, since it copies logically.
Here you are...

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
As a fellow High Sierrian, I want to say you that you are not alone. We the Yosemiti, the Captains, the Sierrians as well as Saint Catalini, we the Fellowship of the Sacred Obsolescence, heard cries of the ancients and will see end of the Bigsuromans. Let us say again and remember, how fortunate the Man with none!
Don't disregard Snow Leopardians...

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
If you prefer to clone only a partition, dd is your friend too:
dd if=/dev/disk0s1 of=/dev/disk1s2 bs=1m
Will raw copy partition 1 of disk 0 to partition 2 of disk1.
It's just somewhat slower, since it copies logically.
Here you are...
If it's so "easy", go slap a GUI shell around it, and steal Bombich's lunch-money.

• Haha
Reactions: rin67630

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
SuperDuper. Been using it for years and it can do bootable APFS backups from different-size SSDs (been cloning my 2TB NVMe SSD's startup volume to a 128gb external SSD). It's also possible to bypass superduper completely for restoring too. (via the migration assistant - just point it to the superduper disk)

Apple provides asr, which is the backbone of bootable APFS backups.

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I am wondering what is the XProtect version people have on their Mojave installations?
My Late 2008 13 inch unibody seems to stuck on 2188, while the latest should be 2190.

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
I am wondering what is the XProtect version people have on their Mojave installations?
My Late 2008 13 inch unibody seems to stuck on 2188, while the latest should be 2190.
The best way to remove 99.99% of malware risk from any Mac system is to perform these two steps:

* Right(or control)-click Safari, News, and Mail, and remove all of them from the dock. (Find third-party browsers and mail-clients as replacements. Stop rewarding Apple's deliberately withholding of so-called "security" by buying newer machines.)

* Install the uBlock and Adblocker Ultimate browser extensions.

And do not ever pay money for antimalware utilities (and especially not for Macs).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(Disabling dead-weight MRT is also an option to explore.)

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
The best way to remove 99.99% of malware risk from any Mac system is to perform these two steps:

* Right(or control)-click Safari, News, and Mail, and remove all of them from the dock. (Find third-party browsers and mail-clients as replacements. Stop rewarding Apple's deliberately withholding of so-called "security" by buying newer machines.)

* Install the uBlock and Adblocker Ultimate browser extensions.

And do not ever pay money for antimalware utilities (and especially not for Macs).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(Disabling dead-weight MRT is also an option to explore.)
True, true, true, true to all of the above however when something suddenly stops updating itself you can't help but start to wonder what could have possibly caused it.
Perhaps even more deliberate Mojave obsolescence?

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
when something suddenly stops updating itself you can't help but start to wonder what could have possibly caused it.
In my case, things stop updating themselves when I turn the bloody auto-updating off.

Training a planet of sheep to equate automatic updates as protection or security or other euphemism for safety has to be one of the biggest outright scams of the internet age.

• Wow
Reactions: m4v3r1ck

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
In my case, things stop updating themselves when I turn the bloody auto-updating off.

Training a planet of sheep to equate automatic updates as protection or security or other euphemism for safety has to be one of the biggest outright scams of the internet age.

Although I don't use Auto Update on any of my devices, I do feel for the users - not just being sheep in this regard - that find comfort in it. I just want to be in control as much as possible with all my gear. Whatever ecosystem it's part of.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Whatsapp is working again with Mojave 😅 Version 2.2411.51. Why did I got a new Macbook? 😆

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.