Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
Obsolete.. How sad. I think we live in a climate hell where we should use already produced stuff. But it's always better to buy the new "green" gadgets and throw away the still working stuff?

I still use my MBP mid 2012. Good for the environment. Sadly no more OS updates.
the post was very tongue in cheek, I have Mojave on my MBA 2010 and MBP 2012 running okay.
the MacBook Air 2010 just received a fresh new power adaptor, the fourth one since 2015
Mojave is a great OS even today!

rin67630: yes OCLP is a much needed process in 2023 but then we wont have precious Mojave!

Reactions: maxoakland

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
wow
my MacBook Pro mid 2012 13" running Mojave ("Aaaaaahhhhhhh"-angel chorus) just received a phone call.
from Canada!
through an iPhone BLUE min 12.
crystal clear and no problems!

Reactions: macsound1

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Today Mojavians lost What'sApp that now refuses to run under Mojave.
But the Web-Version still works...

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Ok thanks I thought something was wrong with my installation. Suddenly it stopped working. Sad.
Developers are forced to use Apple's IDE, which makes code that automatically rejects older OSes.
Unless wanting to pay for twice the manpower to maintain older versions, that is the consequence.
Blame Apple, not Meta.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Developers are forced to use Apple's IDE, which makes code that automatically rejects older OSes.
Unless wanting to pay for twice the manpower to maintain older versions, that is the consequence.
Blame Apple, not Meta.
I see but telegram is still working.

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
MacOS Mojave debuted in late 2018 (most users didn't dabble with it until 2019 or 2020); if it's "obsolete", it's only because Apple has gaslighted you into thinking so.

Mojave runs Adobe CS6 Extended, ClarisCAD2023, LibreOffice2023, and "modern" HTML5 browsers. The only things it can't run are bleeding-edge versions of subscription-model software (so you look for the last prior version that will, whereupon you'll discover that there's no difference 90% of the time). With Retroactive, you can also run Aperature, Logic Pro 9, and Final Cut Pro 7 (i.e., the "good" versions, before half their features were stripped out).

Mojave tips: use Carbon Copy Cloner 5 to clone a Mojave boot drive into a drive partition formatted to MacOS Extended (journaled) rather than APFS, boot into it, verify everything is ship-shape, then use Disk Utility to erase the original partition from APFS to MacOS Extended (journaled); performance will improve dramatically. (Mojave is the last OS than run from a non-APFS formatted volume.) Also, turn off Notifications and MRT in Terminal (search elsewhere here on how to do that).

Reactions: MarkC426

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
MacOS Mojave debuted in late 2018 (most users didn't dabble with it until 2019 or 2020); if it's "obsolete", it's only because Apple has gaslighted you into thinking so.

Mojave runs Adobe CS6 Extended, ClarisCAD2023, LibreOffice2023, and "modern" HTML5 browsers. The only things it can't run are bleeding-edge versions of subscription-model software (so you look for the last prior version that will, whereupon you'll discover that there's no difference 90% of the time). With Retroactive, you can also run Aperature, Logic Pro 9, and Final Cut Pro 7 (i.e., the "good" versions, before half their features were stripped out).

Mojave tips: use Carbon Copy Cloner 5 to clone a Mojave boot drive into a drive partition formatted to MacOS Extended (journaled) rather than APFS, boot into it, verify everything is ship-shape, then use Disk Utility to erase the original partition from APFS to MacOS Extended (journaled); performance will improve dramatically. (Mojave is the last OS than run from a non-APFS formatted volume.) Also, turn off Notifications and MRT in Terminal (search elsewhere here on how to do that).
Why disable Notifications and MRT? I haven't noticed any issues with them.

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
Why disable Notifications and MRT? I haven't noticed any issues with them.
You probably don't notice an APFS file-system grinding your drives to slag either. It's just that one day your computer won't start for seemingly inexplicable reasons. You then take it to a tech like me, who will cheerfully tell you a tale of manufactured-obsolescence woe regarding all things Apple now does to hammer a drive constantly (mainly in pursuit of collecting maximum data for its shady intel patrons) -- as opposed to engineering as little disk-access as possible from the OS, like every OS did for the first 35 years of personal computing.

Reactions: rin67630

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
You probably don't notice an APFS file-system grinding your drives to slag either. It's just that one day your computer won't start for seemingly inexplicable reasons. You then take it to a tech like me, who will cheerfully tell you a tale of manufactured-obsolescence woe regarding all things Apple now does to hammer a drive constantly (mainly in pursuit of collecting maximum data for its shady intel patrons) -- as opposed to engineering as little disk-access as possible from the OS, like every OS did for the first 35 years of personal computing.
So MRT and Notifications hammer the SSD? Is there a way to see this is the logs or elsewhere? Or maybe some forum posts detailing this issue. My last SSD lasted 7 years running 24/7, most of those on Mojave.

My primary performance issue with Mojave lately has been Spotlight. Its performance seems to degrade over a period of weeks, necessitating a reboot. The other issue that recently cropped up was SafariPlugInNotifier repeatedly crashing and using 100% CPU. The fix was to disable its launchagent.

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
Early SSDs had a notoriously low number of maximum write cycles, and older rotational drives were less robust as well. Apple *knew* this, and deliberately made rotational-drive models eligible for APFS file-systems (APFS is designed for SSDs, and writes to random sectors rather than sequential sectors, which really stresses the read/write arm of a mechanical drive), and exponentially multiplied the amount of background drive access with MRT ("malicious removal tool" scanning for malware, when arguably the worst thing on any Mac was MRT itself), Spotlight Indexing (the OS periodically collects data on every file on the drive), and various automatic iCloud and TimeMachine syncing utilities. Apple knew that all this hop/skip/jump/hulahoop nonsense going on at especially startup would make Intel-era machines run artificially slowly, and wear out the drives until they failed.

Last edited:
Reactions: rin67630

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Early SSDs had a notoriously low number of maximum write cycles, and older rotational drives were less robust as well. Apple *knew* this, and deliberately made rotational-drive models eligible for APFS file-systems (APFS is designed for SSDs, and writes to random sectors rather than sequential sectors, which really stresses the read/write arm of a mechanical drive), and exponentially multiplied the amount of background drive access with MRT ("malicious removal tool" scanning for malware, when arguably the worst thling on any Mac was MRT itself), Spotlight Indexing (the OS periodically collects data on every file on the drive), and various automatic iCloud and TimeMachine syncing utilities. Apple knew that all this hop/skip/jump/hulahoop nonsense going on at especially startup would make Intel-era machines run artificially slowly, and wear out the drives until they failed.
I never format my spinning HDDs with APFS. HFS+ works great for HDDs.

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
I never format my spinning HDDs with APFS. HFS+ works great for HDDs.
The subject matter of the thread is Mojave, which by default formats the installed-to partition to APFS. (The OS will still function in HFS+, however, meaning an installation can be cloned from APFS into it. With Catalina, this was no longer possible. )

Last edited:

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Early SSDs had a notoriously low number of maximum write cycles
This was not the case by the time Apple got on the SSD bandwagon. Even early 2011-2012 ones could do thousands of TB writes despite being rated for just 75TB or so. Even the cheapo 2D TLC could do a couple hundred TB. Today's 3D TLC NAND can do 300 TBW per 500gb of space.

While macOS does write a lot more vs Windows for example, it's not enough to wear out a SSD provided the user is not swapping out tens of GBs on a regular basis. it's very similar with regular HFS+ too. I hit my SSD quite a bit with graphics and still do about 30-40gb per day. Since my SSD is rated for 1200 TBW, that's 30,000 days. In reality, it'll do way more than 1200 TBW

Reactions: MarkC426

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
This was not the case by the time Apple got on the SSD bandwagon. Even early 2011-2012 ones could do thousands of TB writes despite being rated for just 75TB or so. Even the cheapo 2D TLC could do a couple hundred TB. Today's 3D TLC NAND can do 300 TBW per 500gb of space.
"A couple hundred TB" isn't that much if you're a video professional -- which meant, paradoxically, the 2012-era machines most likely to be affected were the high-end 3.12TB fusion-drive systems (I've seen multiple smart-failures of both the SSDs and hhds, but none before APFS).

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
"A couple hundred TB" isn't that much if you're a video professional -- which meant, paradoxically, the 2012-era machines most likely to be affected were the high-end 3.12TB fusion-drive systems (I've seen multiple smart-failures of both the SSDs and hhds, but none before APFS).
A video professional wouldn't be using the cheapest 2D TLC NAND that just came out that already had widespread firmware issues. Apple most definitely was not using those drives. Mainstream back then was 2 bit MLC. Those had such high endurance way beyond their rated amount that even a 256gb drive could handle petabytes.

With Fusion, large sequential writes such as those from video editing would hit the HDD anyways. SSHDs basically cache random access/smaller files as that's where the speedup is most significant.

Today, it's a moot point (assuming RAM is sufficient) especially with SSDs in the 1-2TB range. Even 2015 SSDs were eating 9 PB of data before showing relocation events at the same 256gb size.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Oh, I am on 10.13, High Sierra.. It is still going strong, on my 2013 macbook 13 inch macbook pro, which to be honest even though it is 11 years old, outshines my 2020 M1 Macbook Air... those benchmarks every geek drools over, useless, absolutely useless, they prove nothing other than the tests are useless...

I use a 2006 Mac Pro running Final Cut Pro 7, and no issues, so benchmarks saying this or that, is garbage.. Any reviewer using a benchmark clearly is confused.. Benchmark tests cannot be trusted!!

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
It is never a good idea to use your system disk as a scratch disk.
Always write to a separate drive for video/animation (because as you say, you disk gets hammered).

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
I fear, I will have to sadly leave Mojave and all it's features that i've been using like off-line speech recognition.
My heavily used Arduino IDE is relying on current versions of Python and that ones have now stopped working with Mojave...
I am currently considering returning to Windows. I am really pissed of by all these version's barriers.

Grumpus

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2021
"and that ones have now stopped working with Mojave..."
What python version is no longer working? Where did it come from? The installer for 3.12.2 on python.org claims to be for OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) and later. Does this not work on Mojave? If not, you could consider using MacPorts, which will allow you to install and use a number of different python releases, easily selecting among them.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
What python version is no longer working? Where did it come from? The installer for 3.12.2 on python.org claims to be for OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) and later. Does this not work on Mojave? If not, you could consider using MacPorts, which will allow you to install and use a number of different python releases, easily selecting among them.
Python works, but the Arduino IDE can't compile any more, it requires some previous structures that were jeopadized.
There is an issue on Github which were almost immediately closed arguing that no support will be given to Mojave.
Anyhow I am tired of all the hassles keeping Mojave running despite more and more apps quitting.
The off-line speech recognition was keeping me there, but now my patience is on it's end.
I will not upgrade macOS, but am now returning to Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.