Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Where can i get the Mojave version of XCode? I need it to compile some Homebrew stuff.
The store will not deliver older versions, i you haven't "purchased" it previously (I hate this arbitrary limitation).

Thank you for any help.
Regards
Laszlo

P.S: Alternatively for the time being a compiled version of telnet will do.

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Where can i get the Mojave version of XCode? I need it to compile some Homebrew stuff.
The store will not deliver older versions, i you haven't "purchased" it previously (I hate this arbitrary limitation).

Thank you for any help.
Regards
Laszlo

P.S: Alternatively for the time being a compiled version of telnet will do.
Apple. should be pretty obvious. They have the previous versions available.

• Angry
Reactions: maxoakland

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Last edited:
Reactions: rin67630

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Last edited:

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Apple. should be pretty obvious. They have the previous versions available.
yes, but in the store they will not let you download it if you hadn't "purchased for free" it before.
Just to annoy those, who come to late to the game...

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
yes, but in the store they will not let you download it if you hadn't "purchased for free" it before.
Just to annoy those, who come to late to the game...
The Apple Store isn't the only place for Apple software, they have a website for downloads, and you don't need the store to install it for you. Kinda don't understand your problem, you seem capable enough to use a forum to post messages etc, yet can't seem to figure out how to get freely availble software, which the answer would have been known to you with a simple internet search and the resource given at the same time. 🤷‍♂️

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Good news!

Some of your might be aware that Mojave has a bug with network shares being disconnected, more specifically SMB shares. Usually when the computer is left idle you come back and the shares are gone.

Did some looking into this and found that disabling Enable Power Nap (under Sys Prefs/Energy Saver) helps solve this.

I've only done limited testing but I left my computer on overnight and shares were still there!
(hopefully I am not speaking too soon about this!)

Reactions: maxoakland

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Don't see 'power nap' in my Energy Saver settings......🤔
Interesting... I'm on a desktop if it make any difference.

Here is what I see
Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 1.38.24 PM.png

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Maybe it's because I am connected to a UPS.....

from Apple support page:

What is Power Nap on Mac?​

Power Nap, available on Mac computers with flash memory, lets some Mac computers stay up to date even while they’re sleeping.

Last edited:

conmee

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2019
Reno, NV
Fellow Mojavians,

After spending a few months travelling to Big Sur and Monterey, I am back home with Mojave on my 2019 15" MacBook Pro. I've seen both the wondrous and mundane in my travels, but nothing beats the comfort of Mojave on an Intel Mac. I do believe performance is a hair snappier, 32-bit orphans once again have a home, and no doubt an unapologetically Intel-only code base is best on the Isle of Intel, unsullied by Apple's ARM embrace.

When the time is right, I'll consider an M3 or thereabouts, but my current system will forever be Mojave and the 32-bit misfits will always be at the ready, regardless of what directions Apple takes in the future.

Long live Mojave (and iTunes and Dashboard)!

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Fellow Mojavians,

After spending a few months travelling to Big Sur and Monterey, I am back home with Mojave on my 2019 15" MacBook Pro. I've seen both the wondrous and mundane in my travels, but nothing beats the comfort of Mojave on an Intel Mac. I do believe performance is a hair snappier, 32-bit orphans once again have a home, and no doubt an unapologetically Intel-only code base is best on the Isle of Intel, unsullied by Apple's ARM embrace.

When the time is right, I'll consider an M3 or thereabouts, but my current system will forever be Mojave and the 32-bit misfits will always be at the ready, regardless of what directions Apple takes in the future.

Long live Mojave (and iTunes and Dashboard)!
I picked up a used M1 Mini and I've been giving Monterey a thorough test drive. The Finder Spotlight memory leak is super annoying as are the UI changes. So many little bugs that just pick away at your enjoyment of using macOS.

Then, I'll switch back to my Mojave machine, and suddenly all the tension leaves my body and I can relax. Mojave just feels better. It has a calming effect somehow compared to Monterey which ramps up my irritation.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I picked up a used M1 Mini and I've been giving Monterey a thorough test drive. The Finder Spotlight memory leak is super annoying as are the UI changes. So many little bugs that just pick away at your enjoyment of using macOS.

Then, I'll switch back to my Mojave machine, and suddenly all the tension leaves my body and I can relax. Mojave just feels better. It has a calming effect somehow compared to Monterey which ramps up my irritation.
So true!
I installed Big Sur on a fast external disk(starting from an old MBP where I experiment) fast access for being on an external disk. I use it just when I need an app that has not been updated for Mojave. But I NEED iTunes and a lot of other comforting/soothing apps included MailHub. 💖Mojave💖

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
For me Mojave just works, its a shame safari is not updated but there are better browser's that work perfectly. I have tried all the updates upto Monterey and still prefer Mojave as its not bloated and run's sweet on everything i use.

I can duel boot windows if needed and again no issue's with win 11 I think Apple have gone the way microsoft did with vista, to much bloat trying to support 2 systems intel and M series in one operating system which seems as buggy as it get's.

If they have to support 2 system's they should have 2 version's one for intel and 1 for M chip systems. not try and get one system to load on both. double trouble i say.

They should also offer security fix's for people who are happy to use the system they purchased or upgraded to. Poor show for apple user's who dont need to splash the cash on new hardware just to get security fix's.

Mojave works for me so i will be sticking to it on my maxed out Mac pro 5.1

• Love
Reactions: m4v3r1ck and conmee

Lounge Deluxe

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
Amsterdam
Yesterday I made a bootable Mojave installer, re-partitioned the SSD of my 2014 MBP that had Big Sur installed and installed a fresh copy of Mojave. I reverted to Mojave mainly for it being then last OS with iTunes which I prefer over Music.app anytime. I did try the great Retroactive project and got iTunes 12 running on Big Sur, but somehow iTunes often had issues and iTunes related utilities such as WhatsOn and Smarts would not recognize iTunes and therefore not run.

Very happy to be back on Mojave again, but I’ve noticed that after installing Office 2019, Office 2019 updates refused to install as the Microsoft Update Assistant required me to upgrade the OS first. Is this only me or are others experiencing this as well?

Last edited:
  • Wow

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I definitely need a pre 'Apple Music' app machine.
I have been (and still in the process of) recording my extensive vinyl collection into iTunes.

It's a long process, but most are white label/dj promo copies from the early 90's, so don't really exist digitally.

• Love

conmee

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2019
Reno, NV
Yesterday I made a bootable Mojave installer, re-partitioned the SSD of my 2014 MBP that had Big Sur installed and installed a fresh copy of Mojave. I reverted to Mojave mainly for it being then last OS with iTunes which I prefer over Music.app anytime. I did try the great Retroactive project and got iTunes 12 running on Big Sur, but somehow iTunes often had issues and iTunes related utilities such as WhatsOn and Smarts would not recognize iTunes and therefore not run.

Very happy to be back on Mojave again, but I’ve noticed that after installing Office 2019, Office 2019 updates refused to install as the Microsoft Update Assistant required me to upgrade the OS first. Is this only me or are others experiencing this as well?
Microsoft, like Intuit and I believe Norton and others, are now aligning with Apple’s 3yr support cycle for macOS. If you’re on Mojave (and soon Catalina when Ventura is released), Microsoft will only provide updates if you’re on a “supported” macOS version (meaning Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura soon). I run Office 2016 with a full/perpetual license and just uninstall Microsoft Update. If there are features you need from 2019/2021 versions, you’ll have to upgrade to keep getting Microsoft support. I’m not a power user of Microsoft Office so 2016 still does everything I need.

I did buy a perpetual license for Office 2021 and installed it when I was using Big Sur and Monterey, but it doesn't install unless you're running Catalina or newer OS.

1665805822549.png

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Microsoft, like Intuit and I believe Norton and others, are now aligning with Apple’s 3yr support cycle for macOS. If you’re on Mojave (and soon Catalina when Ventura is released), Microsoft will only provide updates if you’re on a “supported” macOS version (meaning Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura soon). I run Office 2016 with a full/perpetual license and just uninstall Microsoft Update. If there are features you need from 2019/2021 versions, you’ll have to upgrade to keep getting Microsoft support. I’m not a power user of Microsoft Office so 2016 still does everything I need.

I did buy a perpetual license for Office 2021 and installed it when I was using Big Sur and Monterey, but it doesn't install unless you're running Catalina or newer OS.

View attachment 2095186
I wonder if there is a plist inside the installer that has a list of "compatible" OSes. And if so, I wonder if editing that plist would allow you to install MS Office on an older OS ;)

conmee

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2019
Reno, NV
The Microsoft 2021 install.pkg doesn't give the option to Show Package Contents and I don't see any volume mounted that would let me edit a plist. Any idea how to view the contents of Microsoft's installer.pkg? Utility of some kind?

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
The Microsoft 2021 install.pkg doesn't give the option to Show Package Contents and I don't see any volume mounted that would let me edit a plist. Any idea how to view the contents of Microsoft's installer.pkg? Utility of some kind?

I was able to install MS Word 2021 using Pacifist but it wouldn't launch, saying the minimum requirement was Catalina. I then opened the plist in a plist editor and changed the minimum system requirement to Mojave but it still wouldn't open. I'm not sure if this is because I would need to change a setting elsewhere or if there is some SwiftUI or other Catalina+ specific code.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Of course, older versions of MS Office work fine. There is also Pages/Numbers/Keynote. Personally, I use BBEdit and Markdown.

But if you need a MS Office alternative, check out the venerable Nisus Writer Pro. Seems to have a hardcore following. Howard Oakley of The Eclectic Light Company has been using it for 30 years and he writes for Macworld, MacLife, and other magazines in addition to the daily posts on his Mac blog.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.