Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
The iPhone 13 line has only been out for about 4 months. My launch day 13 Pro has been charged on a MagSafe charger almost every night and is at 100% capacity.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
If a person is careful how they charge and discharge the phone, the battery can still have over 90% battery health after 6 years of constant daily use.

If a person abuses the battery, it can be toast in less than 2 years.

This is definitely true, although I am of the mindset that I’d rather just use the device in the way that suits me best rather than worry too much about the battery. If I have to spend $80 to replace the battery in 2-3 years so be it.

John981

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
I think with most people's usage patterns you can expect the battery to lose about 7-10% of its health with every year of use, so that you end up with 80-85% battery health left after two years.

Of course there are going to be variables in this calculation that change the result. If you don't go through your entire battery every day, charge primarily using lower power adapters, and so on, you might be able to go for three years before the battery health ends up at 80%. If you're really trying to take care of your battery, maybe you can get the wear down to 5% per year.

I used my previous iPhone X for roughly two years and ended up with 86% battery health when I sold it, meaning on average it used up 7% of battery health for every year of use. I didn't usually get it below 50% but did use an iPad's power adapter to charge it, so there was probably room for improvement in terms of longevity.

Reactions: Lwii2boo

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
I think with most people's usage patterns you can expect the battery to lose about 7-10% of its health with every year of use, so that you end up with 80-85% battery health left after two years.

Of course there are going to be variables in this calculation that change the result. If you don't go through your entire battery every day, charge primarily using lower power adapters, and so on, you might be able to go for three years before the battery health ends up at 80%. If you're really trying to take care of your battery, maybe you can get the wear down to 5% per year.

I used my previous iPhone X for roughly two years and ended up with 86% battery health when I sold it, meaning on average it used up 7% of battery health for every year of use. I didn't usually get it below 50% but did use an iPad's power adapter to charge it, so there was probably room for improvement in terms of longevity.

Then what happen if someone uses iPhone for 3 to 5 years with dropping around 10% per year?

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Any stats?
They wouldn’t be very useful as a lot of factors play into it.

You should be good for 2 years.

Got my 11 Pro Max in March 2020, we are now in Jan 2022 and I am at 87% health and the battery still lasts me a day, don’t get obsessed with the battery health number or it will drive you to do weird things like charge to 80% and have to watch your charging like a Hawk 🤣 don’t be that person.

John981

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
Then what happen if someone uses iPhone for 3 to 5 years with dropping around 10% per year?
It'll degrade further every year? I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. From my experience, most people will find it difficult to deal with their phone once it's below 80%, but no one is stopping you from still using it at that point. My girlfriends iPhone 8 sits at 75% right now and she's okay with it for now.

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
After three years my Xs dropped to 83% and while not bad, I just replaced the battery giving me a few more hours of screen on time per day. In general I think it's best not to worry about battery degradation and just use the device as you want.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Then the phone would likely be prone to inaccurate charge % and random shutdowns.

I used the iPhone 7 for 4 years (don't like notch, large phones and OLED). The last year of use, it was pretty much charging 2-3 times a day even when it was mostly on standby. I have Wi-Fi calling and SMS forwarding enabled so the LTE iPad was doing everything. COVID-related store closures made it difficult to get the battery replaced. Very glad when the iPhone SE 2020 was released.

My iPhone SE 2020 is going on 2 years old now and is down to 86%. Need to charge it twice a day now. The SE 2022 couldn't come soon enough for me.

Mind, I expect phones with larger batteries won't deteriorate as quickly as the 4.7" and smaller iPhones.

tedley

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Sacramento
I have an 3 1/2 year old 8 plus. I pay no attention to the 40-80 rule. I charge to 100% and discharge to 10% or so. I also use wireless charging. The battery has around 1000 cycles and is at 80% health.

Last edited:
Reactions: You’re not me

trhoffmann

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2019
I am a light phone user with a 2+ year old XR. I charge it 2 times a week. The battery health is still @ 100%.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Gotta remember that a battery that has a health score of 70% is toast in the respect that it’s pretty useless. That being so, figure 70% is really essentially zero.
So you’ve only got 30% points from new to toast to deal with.

In that line of thinking, 85% is actually 50%

Reactions: rui no onna

GoodWheaties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Just as a heads up to people here, I wouldn’t go by the battery health in iOS. I have an SE that shows 86% in Settings but 64% in Coconut Battery. A rather drastic difference. And judging by the battery life, Coconut is right.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Just as a heads up to people here, I wouldn’t go by the battery health in iOS. I have an SE that shows 86% in Settings but 64% in Coconut Battery. A rather drastic difference. And judging by the battery life, Coconut is right.

Caveat there, when you go to the Apple Store to get battery swapped, they'll go by the internal readings. If it shows 80+% within warranty period (regular or AC+), you'll have to pay the battery replacement fee.

JamieLannister

Suspended
Jun 10, 2016
I still own an iPad 2. Yes, the 2nd generation model. The battery still works fine and no bulging no problems. It doesn't last forever (like 8 hours of use more like 4 hours at most) but the apps it uses are so slow it's only good for small babies to dabble with. I'm impressed with how long it has been in use (constantly charged and off charger as well). Apple really does make fantastic quality products.

I had to replace my MacBook Pro 13" early 2015 model just last year due to the battery being done with. that again is impressive and quite aligned with what apple specs. My old 2010 mbp 17" started to bulge and that too lasted about 5 years before any swelling.

Reactions: Sunset Cassette

GoodWheaties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Caveat there, when you go to the Apple Store to get battery swapped, they'll go by the internal readings. If it shows 80+% within warranty period (regular or AC+), you'll have to pay the battery replacement fee.
Right, that was more for people who are not under warranty. I actually have two old SE’s that have 4+ year old batteries that show 85% and 86% but in Coconut Battery both are well below 80%. My wife’s 12 shows 86% after just over a year. Haven’t checked it in Coconut though.

GoodWheaties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
I still own an iPad 2. Yes, the 2nd generation model. The battery still works fine and no bulging no problems. It doesn't last forever (like 8 hours of use more like 4 hours at most) but the apps it uses are so slow it's only good for small babies to dabble with. I'm impressed with how long it has been in use (constantly charged and off charger as well). Apple really does make fantastic quality products.

I had to replace my MacBook Pro 13" early 2015 model just last year due to the battery being done with. that again is impressive and quite aligned with what apple specs. My old 2010 mbp 17" started to bulge and that too lasted about 5 years before any swelling.
We have an iPad 1 and iPad 3 that are still occasionally used as video players for the kids on long trips or camping. Batteries are both at 80% health and last a very long time.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021

Ipad battery is much bigger so it would last longer than iPhone in general

Rembixe

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am at 87% on my iPhone 12 PRO which I have been using since the month it was launched.

I drop it into my charger at the night stand every night and charges it every time I enter my car as I use CarPlay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.