Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
My Iphone 8 is over 2 1/2 years old. I am retired and home a lot of the time. It is on the charger over night, and anytime I am home it is on a charger. It very seldom gets much under 90%. Probably the lowest the battery has ever been is around 60%, and that has only been a time or two. I am not babying the phone, this is just the way that I use it. It says that my battery health is 99%, and I know that this can't be accurate, but I can't really notice much difference in my phone's performance from when it was new.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
My iPhone 12 Mini always gets drained to less than 10% most days because I am at work. My battery is sitting around 85% which is pretty bad for a phone that’s less than 1.5 years old.

tedley

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Sacramento
My iPhone 12 Mini always gets drained to less than 10% most days because I am at work. My battery is sitting around 85% which is pretty bad for a phone that’s less than 1.5 years old.
That’s worse than average for sure. The up side is if it hits 79% before you’ve had it two years, Apple will replace the battery for free.

Keep in mind though that battery health is not linear. It could stay at a given percentage point for months.

My current phone went from mid 80s to 81 percent in a week. When it hit 81 percent it stayed there for 6-7 months. It’s been at 80% for about 4-5! Months now.

Fortunately battery replacement isn’t that expensive. I’d just use the device and not sweat it too much.

Good luck!

Reactions: Andeddu

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
My XS has fared well through the years.

Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 7.53.59 PM.png

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
Base on what I have read, charge to 100% does not hurt health as long as you use it and let it goes back to below 90% in short term of time instead of let it stay at 100% level for days.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Right there with you at 84% on my 12 mini. I'm very happy with the 12 mini, but it does have a small battery. It now requires a mid-day charge on a pretty regular basis. I will probably get the battery replaced once it drops just a bit lower. But that might be more towards this Summer than now.

Note that if you don't get an Apple OEM battery, you will get a warning sign from the OS and the OS will no longer rate the batter health. I think the battery warning eventually goes away as a warning. But there will always be some indication in the battery health section. I would not be concerned about use or safety if the repair shop is reputable. The repair shops can install a slightly larger battery in the same space than what Apple was shipping with mini in Fall 2020. But I'd be concerned about resale value with a battery warning. Certainly compared to value of doing resale with a nice battery health indicator number to show the buyer. So I think when I do my mini battery replacement I will insist on Apple OEM battery.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
My X after three years registered 70-odd percent on the phone, but Coconut Battery showed it only had 20 percent. Apple plays some games there I think. (And the life of it showed it really was 20 percent).

My 12 Pro Max after 14 months is at 87 percent (started around 104 percent in Coconut battery).

My 12 mini is down to around 90 percent after 14 months.

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
I used an iPhone 8 Plus for 3 years and 9 months before I recently replaced it with a 13. When I switched, the battery health on the 8+ was about 78%. FWIW

IPhone12promaxuser

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2023
That’s worse than average for sure. The up side is if it hits 79% before you’ve had it two years, Apple will replace the battery for free.

Keep in mind though that battery health is not linear. It could stay at a given percentage point for months.

My current phone went from mid 80s to 81 percent in a week. When it hit 81 percent it stayed there for 6-7 months. It’s been at 80% for about 4-5! Months now.

Fortunately battery replacement isn’t that expensive. I’d just use the device and not sweat it too much.

Good luck!
Good to know that the battery health can stay at a certain percentage for a while. My iPhone 12 pro max health went from 88% to 81 in 1 month 2 days, which had me worried. I really hope it stays here for few months now..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.