Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sewerx

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2020
I’ve been using the same phone since 2010. I never care about any special charging practice - always charged to 100% and many times deeply discharged. Battery health is 78% and still working fine (no shutdowns, no bulging). 11+ years iPhone still last enough for my everyday use. Phone got some problems (apps) but a battery ain't one.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
I am at 87% on my iPhone 12 PRO which I have been using since the month it was launched.

I drop it into my charger at the night stand every night and charges it every time I enter my car as I use CarPlay.

Basically same for my phone

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
After almost 4 years I had my iPhone X battery replaced (80% capacity and service battery notification showing). Never had an unexpected shutdown, only some stuttering on certain screens and charge wouldn't last as long.. After Apple replaced it, I couldn't be happier with the performance of the device and the battery..

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
My 12 Pro has been at 89% for over 4 months. It was dropping fast enough I thought I may get a free battery replacement before my 2 year AC+ was up, but now that doesn't seem likely.

free battery replacement is very hard, must be below 80% within warranty period which is almost impossible

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
After almost 4 years I had my iPhone X battery replaced (80% capacity and service battery notification showing). Never had an unexpected shutdown, only some stuttering on certain screens and charge wouldn't last as long.. After Apple replaced it, I couldn't be happier with the performance of the device and the battery..

You pay for the new battery right? That is like half of iphone X second hand price.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
You pay for the new battery right? That is like half of iphone X second hand price.
$69 including ear piece speaker that Apple replaces during the battery service. If I get another years worth of use plus use it as a backup phone when I decide to buy a new 14ProMax or possibly a 15ProMax it's money well spent. I've had absolutely no issues with my X and it still performs extremely well for a 4 year old device.. I used to upgrade every two years but this phone has taught me that's not necessary anymore.. Screen size is the only reason that I'd like to upgrade, Pro Max size is what tempts me each year..

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
They wouldn’t be very useful as a lot of factors play into it.

You should be good for 2 years.

Got my 11 Pro Max in March 2020, we are now in Jan 2022 and I am at 87% health and the battery still lasts me a day, don’t get obsessed with the battery health number or it will drive you to do weird things like charge to 80% and have to watch your charging like a Hawk don’t be that person.

Doing that seems stressful. I use my phone as I wish and charge whenever I feel I need to. I don’t let the battery hit under 20% and I charge overnight every night. I have a launch day 12 Pro Max and I’m already down to 85%. It’s cool though because I’ll get a battery replacement when it hits 80% and keep it as a back up phone when the 14 Pro Max launch. I now upgrade every 2 years.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
$69 including ear piece speaker that Apple replaces during the battery service. If I get another years worth of use plus use it as a backup phone when I decide to buy a new 14ProMax or possibly a 15ProMax it's money well spent. I've had absolutely no issues with my X and it still performs extremely well for a 4 year old device.. I used to upgrade every two years but this phone has taught me that's not necessary anymore.. Screen size is the only reason that I'd like to upgrade, Pro Max size is what tempts me each year..

There should be "Cheap Max 14", I would buy it if it exists.

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
I’m a former CPF flashlight/battery hobbyist and follow good charge practices. My previous 3 iOS devices averaged ~6yrs of primary use, and then another ~4yrs as secondary (music players/streamers). Slow out-dated processors (not battery or iOS support) is my usual upgrade motivation.

Older devices don’t have batt health meters, but I did test my iPad2 at 15hrs SOT new, and 10hrs SOT after 7yrs - so say ~66% health. My guess is that my iPhone3&5 batts aged a bit faster, but not due to smaller size, rather ‘harder use’ conditions (deeper DoD; hot/cold extremes; and vibration/shocks/drops).

My 2.4yo XR (now ‘only device’) is 96% health and seems on track with my iPad2’s performance. With today’s Shortcut/smartplug option to program your own automated ‘custom optimization’, for me, it’s far less effort/cost than swapping batteries every few year.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

RadioHedgeFund

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2018
I still own an iPad 2. Yes, the 2nd generation model. The battery still works fine and no bulging no problems. It doesn't last forever (like 8 hours of use more like 4 hours at most) but the apps it uses are so slow it's only good for small babies to dabble with. I'm impressed with how long it has been in use (constantly charged and off charger as well). Apple really does make fantastic quality products.

I had to replace my MacBook Pro 13" early 2015 model just last year due to the battery being done with. that again is impressive and quite aligned with what apple specs. My old 2010 mbp 17" started to bulge and that too lasted about 5 years before any swelling.
I think this runs with expectations. I have an iPad 2 and an OG Mini and for the older apps I run on them that don't work on the latest models they are actually fine. Eg the old version of Pages on the iPad 2 is still a fine word processor.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Older devices don’t have batt health meters, but I did test my iPad2 at 15hrs SOT new, and 10hrs SOT after 7yrs - so say ~66% health. My guess is that my iPhone3&5 batts aged a bit faster, but not due to smaller size, rather ‘harder use’ conditions (deeper DoD; hot/cold extremes; and vibration/shocks/drops).

My 2.4yo XR (now ‘only device’) is 96% health and seems on track with my iPad2’s performance. With today’s Shortcut/smartplug option to program your own automated ‘custom optimization’, for me, it’s far less effort/cost than swapping batteries every few year.

I think it is due to smaller battery size. My iPhone SE 2020 (7 Wh) is pretty much on standby the entire day (because SOT sucks vs iPad) while I use iPads primarily. Even then, the SE's battery is pretty bad now. I have to charge it twice a day even when it's doing nothing.

The XR's 11 Wh battery may be small compared to iPad batteries but it's adequate for the things it needs to power (smaller display, etc).

Reactions: reppans

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
I think it is due to smaller battery size..

Thinking more about it, you are right. Screen rendering, and arguably speakers, seem to be about the only proportionately variable power consumers. Most everything else (processors, antennas, sensors, ear jacks, apps, etc) should be fixed-ish power consumers that will represent relatively larger drains on smaller batts. Also my phone has the added (and significant burden) of maintaining cellular signal and comms.

We’ll see how this XR goes as I’ve now consolidated onto this single device.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Thinking more about it, you are right. Screen rendering, and arguably speakers, seem to be about the only proportionately variable power consumers. Most everything else (processors, antennas, sensors, ear jacks, apps, etc) should be fixed-ish power consumers that will represent relatively larger drains on smaller batts. Also my phone has the added (and significant burden) of maintaining cellular signal and comms.

We’ll see how this XR goes as I’ve now consolidated onto this single device.

Yeah, cellular (especially low signal) is bad on battery longevity. I have the same model iPad, one LTE and one WiFi-only. The LTE model drains more quickly (ergo charged frequently and uses more battery cycles) than WiFi-only.

Pecka

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2022
My iPhone 8 bought in November 2017 has 421 cycles and is at 81% capacity.

caranddriver

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
SF Bay Area
I think it all varies on iPhone usage and then OCD on battery health. Obviously, the more you use it the more you have to charge and go through more cycles. I would say posters who said up to 10%/year seems reasonable.

I'm being much more OCD about my new iPhone 13 Pro. Trying to charge when it hits 40 or in the 30's and then take off the charger when it hits 80 or so. Of course, having only wired CarPlay it is impossible to stop the charging at 80 so will end up higher depending on how long I'm driving. The value of CarPlay is greater than taking the phone off the charger.

caranddriver

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
SF Bay Area
I would only go to Apple for replacement batteries and now you can pay for them with Apple Gift Card (which can be added to Apple balance to pay for everything as well). Target, Amazon and Best Buy throw promos leading up to Xmas. I think this season the best was 15% off in form of a gift card of the selling vendor. Was 20% in years past, unfortunately not this year.

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
I had my XS for 3 years and the battery capacity was at 79% when I traded it in on my 13 Pro.

I don't worry/think one bit about how I charge the phone, and everything I did with that phone was "wrong" according to the experts. I discharged it clear to shutdown many times, randomly topped off the charge throughout the day, exposed the phone to extreme high temperatures/direct sunlight causing overheat shutdowns numerous times, charged/left it overnight on a wireless Qi charger every night, always charged it in a case, etc. I'm doing all the exact same things with my 13 Pro now, except I'm using a MagSafe wireless charger overnight instead of a Qi charger.

3 years is the longest I've kept an iPhone yet, so if I get three good years out of a battery I'm fine with that. If I decide to keep one longer, I don't mind paying for a battery replacement every 3 years if it means I don't have to obsess over how I charge it, what adapters I use, only dropping to 40% and not going above 80% and all that other nonsense. If I'm on a long driving trip and have my phone plugged in to use Maps or CarPlay or whatever, there's not a chance in the world that I'm going to worry about the charge going over 80% and plugging/unplugging it to baby the battery. The phone is there to serve me, not vice-versa.

Reactions: Andeddu and tedley

tedley

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Sacramento
I had my XS for 3 years and the battery capacity was at 79% when I traded it in on my 13 Pro.

I don't worry/think one bit about how I charge the phone, and everything I did with that phone was "wrong" according to the experts. I discharged it clear to shutdown many times, randomly topped off the charge throughout the day, exposed the phone to extreme high temperatures/direct sunlight causing overheat shutdowns numerous times, charged/left it overnight on a wireless Qi charger every night, always charged it in a case, etc. I'm doing all the exact same things with my 13 Pro now, except I'm using a MagSafe wireless charger overnight instead of a Qi charger.

3 years is the longest I've kept an iPhone yet, so if I get three good years out of a battery I'm fine with that. If I decide to keep one longer, I don't mind paying for a battery replacement every 3 years if it means I don't have to obsess over how I charge it, what adapters I use, only dropping to 40% and not going above 80% and all that other nonsense. If I'm on a long driving trip and have my phone plugged in to use Maps or CarPlay or whatever, there's not a chance in the world that I'm going to worry about the charge going over 80% and plugging/unplugging it to baby the battery. The phone is there to serve me, not vice-versa.
This right here.
Well said. It’s a tool. If the battery needs replacing, I replace it or get a new phone. I have more important things to do than worrying about my battery percentage.

Reactions: azhava

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
This right here.
Well said. It’s a tool. If the battery needs replacing, I replace it or get a new phone. I have more important things to do than worrying about my battery percentage.

That’s how I am. I have AppleCare+, so once it hit under 80%, then I’ll take it to Apple and have them replace it. In the meantime, I’m going to continue to use it the same way I have since day 1.

Reactions: tedley

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
That’s how I am. I have AppleCare+, so once it hit under 80%, then I’ll take it to Apple and have them replace it. In the meantime, I’m going to continue to use it the same way I have since day 1.

I wish I could get my launch day 12 Pro Max’s battery replaced. I am at 85% now and charge twice a day and top up for 10 minutes riding to and and from work everyday. I have to carry a portable power bank with me in case it die when I’m not here a charger.

No offense, but these posts don’t even sound like they’re from the same person.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
No offense, but these posts don’t even sound like they’re from the same person.

It’s from the same person. Just because I have to charge my phone twice a day won’t stop me from using my phone the same as I have since day 1. I have AppleCare+ so I’ll get the battery replaced once it hit under 80%.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
If a person is careful how they charge and discharge the phone, the battery can still have over 90% battery health after 6 years of constant daily use.

If a person abuses the battery, it can be toast in less than 2 years.
Or... just uses their phone a lot. Not all heavy usage = "abuse"

Reactions: rui no onna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.