Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mirrorbox

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
If you are looking for a folio type leather case to carry your iPad with other business gears (e.g. business cards, A5 notepads and pens), I highly recommend the New Executive Folio by FrappeDesign.
http://frappedesign.com/the-new-executive-folio.html -pretty slick pictures of the product on their website!
It's the best solution for me because I like to use my iPad (retina display) with apple's smart cover and they fit into the casing of this folio perfectly. Oh, and the size of the folio is also compact and light weighted. I've been using this case for quite a while and it has been very convenient for me to carry my stuff to work and business meetings. When I get home I just take my iPad out and enjoy my time with it on the couch or bed before I go to sleep.

Lagranger

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Solo zippered case

[Sorry for the way-too-long response, but hope it helps someone]

I've had this leather case for a couple of months and really like it. I first got it for use with my iPad2, although it now is the home for my shiny new iPad4.

http://solo.net/solo-vintage-padfolio-for-ipad

Prior to this I'd always thought of leather iPad cases as an overpriced luxury and preferred to stick with really cheap $10-15 synthetic foam cases that I'd just replace every few months.

Then I saw these on sale at my local Sams Club for $40 -- a price low enough to make me give it a shot. (I suffer from notorious cheapness :) )

I must say that I really like this case a lot. At last I finally appreciate the value of leather, not in terms of fashion/appearance, but in how well it resists sweat/oil from constant contact with my hands as I carry it around throughout the workday.

One of the initial attractions of this case was that it had room for a small paper notepad on the interior flap. Since I haven't removed paper entirely from my day-to-day workflow, I thought this would be a nice feature. Well, I ended up removing the notepad within the first week and haven't missed it since.

Other things I like: The case has enough interior pockets and room for all sorts of stuff that I tend to carry with me. For instance, in mine I keep a stylus, my ID badge when I'm not wearing it, a (short) pen and mechanical pencil, a small screen cleaning cloth, business cards and an extra Lightning/USB cable (but not the power brick).

The iPad itself is held securely in place with a velcro-covered flap. There is zero chance of the iPad sliding out of the case accidentally. The easel feature (below) also uses a velcro strip to do what it does.

What I didn't like:

The interior flap has a small magnet that is supposed to work with the wake/sleep sensor on the iPad, but in reality I found it too small or weak to work effectively. However, one workaround is to take one of those flat, neodymium magnets (from inside of an old hard drive) and place it on the inside of the slit where the paper notepad would normally slide in, on the opposite side of the existing sewn-in magnet. This creates a stronger field that properly wakes/sleeps the iPad.

I'm also not absolutely sold on the way the case is designed to transform into an easel to prop up the iPad. It's also pretty difficult to use when you want to lay the iPad flat on a surface or on your lap to type. More often than not I find myself folding the entire case cover backwards on itself to use in a flat configuration.

What others may not like:

This is a pretty heavy case, both in bulk and overall additional weight. I haven't done any actual measurements, but I suspect it nearly doubles the weight of the iPad itself. When zippered, the case is around 4cm thick. Personally, I don't mind as it feels no different than carrying around an old-school leather-bound organizer. And even with the extra bulk, I like how much padding and protection the thick leather adds. And another thing: with the extra padding, it I rarely notice the excess heat that the iPad 3 & 4 is known to produce.

There's no opening for the rear camera. Not a big deal for me since I almost never use it, but may be a factor for some. All the other ports and switches are readily accessible.

Overall, not perfect but still the best case I've owned since my first iPad in April 2010.

App King

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
Been reading a lot of reviews and couple of the top ones on amazon are snugg and poetic. I think they are below $30 which I think is pretty good for a leather case. Here are some of the reviews for them.

http://supremeskins.com/top-3-ipad-leather-cases/

I seen a few cases at the stores but forgot to look at the price on those. I am guessing they are a little more expensive. But like I said it is best to search around and read the reviews and pictures.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
For that kind of price you could have gotten a Germanmade G1 or G2. I chose the G1. But enjoy your crocodile skin case.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Apple's Smart case, imo. There is nothing else that does everything well: it is light, it is thin, it covers EVERY side and angle, the leather quality is supple, it looks good, it feels good, it has the smart cover with stand capability.

While it is expensive, and the stand is not the best stand and has no portrait mode, nothing else comes close to covering all those above.

Other leather cases may have higher quality leather, but they aren't as thin or leave some ports exposed.

I went back to the smart case after returning my first one. After exploring other options, I realized the smart case was the best for me, personally. Just put it on, and forget about it.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I agree here. The Smart Case gives just enough heft to make holding the iPad Air even more comfortable. It covers every part of the device precisely with no generic size open spaces and provides just enough border to keep hands farther off the screen. It has a nice soft touch to it and yes the hinge does poke out a bit but to me that's acceptable. I have the Moshi iVisor XT for the screen and the smart case covers everything well. I feel comfortable with this lightweight yet complete protection. That's according to my usage patterns and personal preferences b

Apple's Smart case, imo. There is nothing else that does everything well: it is light, it is thin, it covers EVERY side and angle, the leather quality is supple, it looks good, it feels good, it has the smart cover with stand capability.

While it is expensive, and the stand is not the best stand and has no portrait mode, nothing else comes close to covering all those above.

Other leather cases may have higher quality leather, but they aren't as thin or leave some ports exposed.

I went back to the smart case after returning my first one. After exploring other options, I realized the smart case was the best for me, personally. Just put it on, and forget about it.

alanrocks

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2011
United Kingdom
This is my leather sleeve that I bought a couple of months back for my iPad Air. It's from a British company called Breffo. It's a pretty neat sleeve and the more I've used it, the nicer it has become in feel and fit. I've attached an image.

Breffo iPad Air Leather Sleeve

Attachments

• leather.JPG
    leather.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 167

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
what the hey - I'll help bump a 14 month old thread . . . :cool:

I vote for a Kavaj Hamburg. The Berlin is nice too if you don't really plan on standing it up. The Hamburg is more useful for that IMO.

But the leather is beautiful (cognac FTW) and has held up really well. Plus the company has excellent customer service.

They called me from Germany unsolicited just to see if I was happy with the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.