Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
I have always wondered since the 14 and now the 15, what exactly is the point of a plus model phone?

1. I got the mini(it's smallest)
2. I get the base model (it now is the cheapest PREMIUM)
3. I even get the Pros (it's really a matter of Screen size and camera)

But the Plus models do not make sense to me lol. At our christmas party last night (Whew too much whiksey, i am still hurting and this is only Part 1 lol), our Boss was asking me about which iPhone should he upgrade to since he is going to the store this weekend. He mentioned the plus model. I didn't really know the difference so i more or less pushed him towards the PM.

Isn't a plus Model essentially the base 14/15 but the size of a Pro Max. That seems more redundant since you already have a 6.1 model base and a 6.7 Premium line and the standard Pro is also still better. Even the Mini could be justified but i am confused as to what purpose the Plus model is for? Maybe it is something I am missing and can consider for next year as I really honestly realized I dont even use the camera powers of my PM or even the normal Pro like i should :p

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have always wondered since the 14 and now the 15, what exactly is the point of a plus model phone?

1. I got the mini(it's smallest)
2. I get the base model (it now is the cheapest PREMIUM)
3. I even get the Pros (it's really a matter of Screen size and camera)

But the Plus models do not make sense to me lol. At our christmas party last night (Whew too much whiksey, i am still hurting and this is only Part 1 lol), our Boss was asking me about which iPhone should he upgrade to since he is going to the store this weekend. He mentioned the plus model. I didn't really know the difference so i more or less pushed him towards the PM.

Isn't a plus Model essentially the base 14/15 but the size of a Pro Max. That seems more redundant since you already have a 6.1 model base and a 6.7 Premium line and the standard Pro is also still better. Even the Mini could be justified but i am confused as to what purpose the Plus model is for? Maybe it is something I am missing and can consider for next year as I really honestly realized I dont even use the camera powers of my PM or even the normal Pro like i should :p

1. I got the largest size Apple offers at the time I am buying
2. I get the largest capacity Apple offers at the time I am buying (It's what I want)
3. I even get the Pro Max or whatever the top tier is (it's really a matter of Screen size)

I like large(r) phones and I just get what I want. I really don't care if I actually need it or not. I don't upgrade on a yearly basis either, so I'd rather get what I want for the 2-5 years I spend with a phone. That's better than spending that entire time hating what you got because it wasn't what you wanted.

Do I actually need to have a purpose to buy what I want?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Shirasaki

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Do I actually need to have a purpose to buy what I want?
The post isn’t so much a personal WHY you have one over the other models. It’s also personal preference. Like the mini users who will die on that hill. It was more curious as to what apples mentality might be behind the purpose of plus models. Of course none of us really know that so
I was curious about speculation as I find the plus models largely redundant.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
The post isn’t so much a personal WHY you have one over the other models. It’s also personal preference. Like the mini users who will die on that hill. It was more curious as to what apples mentality might be behind the purpose of plus models. Of course none of us really know that so
Apple’s mentality is pretty clear… they tried the mini, it sold like a polished 💩, so they replaced it with the Plus that is apparently selling well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FWIW I agree with you that it seems redundant in the lineup. But if it’s selling, there’s apparently a place for it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I assumed when the 6 Plus launched that Apple was just trying to compete and expand sales. When that size became popular, to increase sales (I assume again) they started offering features you can't get on the smaller models.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
I assumed when the 6 Plus launched that Apple was just trying to compete and expand sales. When that size became popular, to increase sales (I assume again) they started offering features you can't get on the smaller models.
That made sense when there were 2 iphones though. the non plus and the plus. We now have 4 iPhone models (and apparently the 14 plus is still being sold and able to get from Apple stores today) plus the SE model. I guess for me since I know the products i know i either want a great camera with a more smaller screen (pro) or a great camera with a big screen (max) or simply a base level new iphone (15) so it was confusing to me where the plus model actually lies. Even the SE has an obvious purpose.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Going off reviews, the Plus gives users more screen real estate with the best battery life in the range. It’s also a lighter 6.7” variant due to the cameras. Cameras which are no slouch as they’re the same as those in the 14 Pros last year.

If it had split screen multitasking & landscape Home Screen App Support it’d be a huge winner in the range imo. Still a good value option for those who can both handle it & pocket it.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
I recently picked the iPhone 14 Plus for my mother!

Why?

She wanted the bigger screen. But nothing in the Pro Max phones we cross shopped did *anything* to make her life better.

Yes, 120Hz, the third camera, and now titanium build are all very compelling features... if you care about them.

But they didn't matter to her, the money our family saved by going with an ~$800 device over a ~$1300 device mattered much more.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
The Plus models are basically there to offer a larger screened iphone, but without the extra cost associated with the Pro Max phones. They have done the same with the MBA 15" model, and appear to be releasing a 12.9 iPad Air soon. There are people who simply want larger screens at a lower cost, and not all the extra 'Pro' features like Promotion etc.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
a plus Model essentially the base 14/15 but the size of a Pro Max

I think you answered your own question here.

if someone wants the 6.7" size but does not need the features of a Pro or does not want to spend the extra money for a pro, then they buy the Plus. I'm sure there's a huge number of people in that boat.... I remember before the plus seeing a lot of threads from people complaining that they wanted the bigger screen size but did not want to pay for the pro model to get it.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I always get the Pro Max. But when my personal 11 Pro Max got destroyed while installing solar panels at my job, my company gave me a corporate iPhone 14 Plus. I still plan to get another personal iPhone Pro Max for me… but I can see why people get the iPhone Plus. Some people just prefer the larger screen but don’t want the extra features or higher price of the Pro Max. It makes total sense for Apple to offer both sizes in the Pro & non Pro models. Covers all the bases.

Reactions: kltmom

saintmac

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2020
Cameras which are no slouch as they’re the same as those in the 14 Pros last year.
I don't think they are.
Obviously the 15 Plus misses the telephoto but my understanding is that he 48MPx wide camera is smaller than the one on the 14Pros / 15Pros.
I'm not sure about the ultrawide.

I do get the point of the 15Plus though for those who prioritize display size and / or battery capacity and don't want a heavier or more expensive phone (15PM)

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I think it makes perfect sense for someone who wants a larger phone, but don't need Pro features?

Think of all people with poor eyesight, or the elderly, walking into an Apple Store. Would feel kind of ridiculous to ask them to buy a 1200 USD (+ tax...) iPhone Pro Max if you ask me? That would otherwise have been the case...

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
I think it makes perfect sense for someone who wants a larger phone, but don't need Pro features?

Think of all people with poor eyesight, or the elderly, walking into an Apple Store. Would feel kind of ridiculous to ask them to buy a 1200 USD (+ tax...) iPhone Pro Max if you ask me? That would otherwise have been the case...
I mean in that case the person with poor eyesight would likely be fine with a base 14/15 as well.

I get the points made here but at the same time it just seems so redundant and i of course dont know sales metrics but it is quite odd to think that the 15 plus (or 14 plus) sold that much more than minis. I have seen more minis in my day to day and in my travels over the holidays than i have seen plus models. But i digress.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I mean in that case the person with poor eyesight would likely be fine with a base 14/15 as well.

I get the points made here but at the same time it just seems so redundant and i of course dont know sales metrics but it is quite odd to think that the 15 plus (or 14 plus) sold that much more than minis. I have seen more minis in my day to day and in my travels over the holidays than i have seen plus models. But i digress.
What, no? The Plus is much bigger. That's kind of the point... For YOU it "would likely be fine", but for others, every little might help?

I could get by with a mini, but I also realize that I'm not everyone.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
What, no? The Plus is much bigger. That's kind of the point... For YOU it "would likely be fine", but for others, every little might help?

I could get by with a mini, but I also realize that I'm not everyone.
I mean i have an 11 and 15 PM and i really dont notice a size difference that is that monumental. The weight and feel holding it of course is different from 11 and 15 PM but i have not noticed anything monumentally different screen size (resolution and screen display of course are different).

a 6.1 to a 6.7 isnt that big of a change like an Se/mini to a 6.7 would be.

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
From Apple's perspective?

To sell an iPhone at as many price tiers as possible.

From user's perspective?

Just list your own favourite features.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States

The 15 Plus is to the 15 what the 15 Pro Max is to the 15 Pro. They are for people who want a larger size phone.

As far as Plus versus mini sales, various articles (one example below) points to the Plus models selling better than the minis did.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
The 15 Plus is to the 15 what the 15 Pro Max is to the 15 Pro. They are for people who want a larger size phone.

As far as Plus versus mini sales, various articles (one example below) points to the Plus models selling better than the minis did.
I suppose if Apple does make a plus model in 2024, i will take a look at it as I dont really need or use most of the specs in my PM nor do i care about things like telephoto.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois

Plus models outsell the minis by a substantial amount. @JPack has posted charts that show the difference and it's obvious Apple made the correct decision to can the mini and replace it with the plus

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
If you don’t care about having the best camera, ProMotion and AOD, but care about large size, lower weight, longer battery life, and lower price, then the Plus is ideal. I don’t know what should be so confusing. Even if the Plus didn’t have the benefit of reduced weight (and a reduced camera bump), it would still have the benefit of a lower price for those who don’t particularly care about the Pro features. Like with all models, it depends on your budget and what features are important to you.

Without the Plus, if someone likes having a large screen but can’t afford the Pro Max and/or thinks it’s too heavy, they might be more inclined to buy an Android phone instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.