Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Dont care about the pro features, just bring back a Mini size option.
I honestly dont think a mini without some sort of pro features would work :) the Mini's size was great but it had way too many shortcomings compared to base model iPhones and especially the pros.
The dilemma here is the battery won’t be big enough to accommodate those Pro features, so the whole experience is brought undone by the constant need to charge the thing.

Could be the reason why Apple haven’t bothered.

I mean the phone could be a bit thicker to compensate for a larger battery without affecting the screen size.

Tripps9000

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2021
Let’s get to a point a lot of people like big phones like the 14/15 plus and don’t want to spend big money on a promax phone and also don’t need all the pro max features i myself use the regular 14 model because the plus and pro max are to big for my liking.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Pretty sure if they want an iPhone they wouldn't automatically jump to android. They obviously chose the iPhone not based on a size of a screen but the OS. THey'd likely just get the base iPHONE.

It's confusing because you all are speaking from a technical/enthusiast standpoint.

I know what the Pro max and the Pro stand for and I know what the Base model stands for. From a consumer standpoint, I am looking at

1. Price (it's not that much more than a base)
2. If i want a bigger screen like the plus, I can also then pony up the money to get the Pro Max and get more features with it.
3. OR i can essentially get the Max features but still get the Base size.

The Plus, in my opinion, is redundant. It's not a bad phone by any means. I also find the fact that Apple still sells the 13 when the 14 is still there as redundant as well

Thats what i initially though, when they announced the 14 Plus to replace the Mini (i am a massive Mini fanboy). Why have 2 6.7” phones in the line up? its just a waste of sizing options right. But the fact is that there is a trend for larger screen phones, thats the reality and Apple know this. The 14 Plus initially was not selling well at all, but it slowly gained traction in sales and the 15 Plus has sold very well from day 1. In an ideal world they would also offer a Mini variant in the line up, but no point in flogging a dead horse on that one anymore as Apple basically now consider the 6.1 screen size as being their compact size option.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Thats what i initially though, when they announced the 14 Plus to replace the Mini (i am a massive Mini fanboy). Why have 2 6.7” phones in the line up? its just a waste of sizing options right. But the fact is that there is a trend for larger screen phones, thats the reality and Apple know this. The 14 Plus initially was not selling well at all, but it slowly gained traction in sales and the 15 Plus has sold very well from day 1. In an ideal world they would also offer a Mini variant in the line up, but no point in flogging a dead horse on that one anymore as Apple basically now consider the 6.1 screen size as being their compact size option.

The 15 Plus is a dream phone for those who want the basics of an iPhone with amazing battery life. Apple has spent two years pleasing the Mini crowd so let the battery life crowd enjoy their moment for two years too. I reckon there might be no Mini or Plus models in 2024. Having an Ultra edition would shake up the lineup again.

Reactions: Sorinut

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
The 15 Plus is a dream phone for those who want the basics of an iPhone with amazing battery life. Apple has spent two years pleasing the Mini crowd so let the battery life crowd enjoy their moment for two years too. I reckon there might be no Mini or Plus models in 2024. Having an Ultra edition would shake up the lineup again.

Well the 15 Plus is popular, so they will most likely keep it in the line up. The 16 Pro Max is supposed to be larger at 6.9”, so any iPhone Ultra would need to be larger which would be a bit insane. Maybe the 16 Pro Max is actually the Ultra in disguise lol.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Well the 15 Plus is popular, so they will most likely keep it in the line up. The 16 Pro Max is supposed to be larger at 6.9”, so any iPhone Ultra would need to be larger which would be a bit insane. Maybe the 16 Pro Max is actually the Ultra in disguise lol.

Possibly. I think we need more info through leaks. I’ll keep hoping the Pro/Pro Max models become the entry flagship and the Ultra becomes the new ‘pro’ device.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
That makes sense.

I do wish apple would simplify their product lines (ipad is way too messy and iPhone is getting there), Because as you said there is not much differentiation between the base and plus models aside from screen size and I also think a bit reason that the mini failed is the price and perception of you are getting less for more even if the mini and base models were similar aside from screen size (and really you were getting less with an inferior battery life).

Agreed. They have way too many models now. I’ve always chalked that up to the fact that Tim Cook cares more about market share and units sold than Steve Jobs. You absolutely get bigger market share by having more options. Steve cared more about the product being excellent.

My problem with it is that it becomes convoluted and confusing and leads to worse quality software because they’re trying to optimize it for “tons” of different models. Think about how they have the current SE, iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 pro max. At the same time, they still sell the iPhone 14 and 14 plus, and the 13. That’s EIGHT models/SKUs.

My humble opinion is that Steve Jobs’ approach was better. Simplify product offerings and make them great. It’s less about the product and more about the stock value now.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
I honestly dont think a mini without some sort of pro features would work :) the Mini's size was great but it had way too many shortcomings compared to base model iPhones and especially the pros.

I mean the phone could be a bit thicker to compensate for a larger battery without affecting the screen size.
The only downside the Mini had was the price tag… but out of curiosity, except bigger/longer lasted battery, what other ‘pro features’ the Mini 13 was missing compared to the base iPhone 13 (non pro)?

Reactions: Barbareren

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
The only downside the Mini had was the price tag… but out of curiosity, except bigger/longer lasted battery, what other ‘pro features’ the Mini 13 was missing compared to the base iPhone 13 (non pro)?
Absolutely non at all. The 13 mini was just an identical shrunken down version of the normal 13.

Reactions: Barbareren and geta

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
It's likely intended to be the "least selling" of the new iPhone models, but it has its place. It captures that smaller, but not insignificant segment that wants to pay just a bit extra for a bigger screen, but doesn't want all those extra features. This segment likely isn't going to be willing to pay for the Pro Max, so they get "lost" before. Now, they can be sold to with a phone that works just right for them, and the vast majority of the intellectual property to develop the phone has already been paid for with the base 6.1" phone anyways.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
I mean in that case the person with poor eyesight would likely be fine with a base 14/15 as well.

I get the points made here but at the same time it just seems so redundant and i of course dont know sales metrics but it is quite odd to think that the 15 plus (or 14 plus) sold that much more than minis. I have seen more minis in my day to day and in my travels over the holidays than i have seen plus models. But i digress.

Remember that Apple will be selling 14 Plus, 15 Plus, etc for many years, while they retire the Pro Max every year. If you want a big phone at $799 or so new from Apple, those older phones will be available.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
If you accept the base model non-Pro iPhone, I don’t see why one wouldn’t understand/accept that there’s a larger version of the base model iPhone. If there was a larger SE, that would probably sell pretty well too, but I don’t have any data to back up that claim.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009
It’s the only big screened iPhone under $1000. That in and of itself is the main selling point. AND it just so happens to be the iPhone with the best battery life too.

Reactions: Barbareren

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
Bigger screen without the bells and whistles\
makes complete sense
My mom enjoys her 15 plus (switched from 12) because the screen is bigger

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Agreed. They have way too many models now. I’ve always chalked that up to the fact that Tim Cook cares more about market share and units sold than Steve Jobs. You absolutely get bigger market share by having more options. Steve cared more about the product being excellent.

My problem with it is that it becomes convoluted and confusing and leads to worse quality software because they’re trying to optimize it for “tons” of different models. Think about how they have the current SE, iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 pro max. At the same time, they still sell the iPhone 14 and 14 plus, and the 13. That’s EIGHT models/SKUs.

My humble opinion is that Steve Jobs’ approach was better. Simplify product offerings and make them great. It’s less about the product and more about the stock value now.

It’s eight models with 3 different processors. No different from optimising for 3 different generations of iPhones. Seems pretty standardised to me in terms of hardware.

Hot Apple Cider

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2018
That made sense when there were 2 iphones though. the non plus and the plus. We now have 4 iPhone models (and apparently the 14 plus is still being sold and able to get from Apple stores today) plus the SE model. I guess for me since I know the products i know i either want a great camera with a more smaller screen (pro) or a great camera with a big screen (max) or simply a base level new iphone (15) so it was confusing to me where the plus model actually lies. Even the SE has an obvious purpose.

For people who either don't want to carry a big ugly camera they don't want or a tiny screen.
I mean in that case the person with poor eyesight would likely be fine with a base 14/15 as well.
You are wrong. 6.1 is not fine.

a 6.1 to a 6.7 isnt that big of a change like an Se/mini to a 6.7 would be.
Again you are wrong, there is a big difference.
Pretty sure if they want an iPhone they wouldn't automatically jump to android. They obviously chose the iPhone not based on a size of a screen but the OS. THey'd likely just get the base iPHONE.

It's confusing because you all are speaking from a technical/enthusiast standpoint.

I know what the Pro max and the Pro stand for and I know what the Base model stands for. From a consumer standpoint, I am looking at

1. Price (it's not that much more than a base)
2. If i want a bigger screen like the plus, I can also then pony up the money to get the Pro Max and get more features with it.
3. OR i can essentially get the Max features but still get the Base size.

The Plus, in my opinion, is redundant. It's not a bad phone by any means. I also find the fact that Apple still sells the 13 when the 14 is still there as redundant as well
No, some (and according to Apple sales) enough people don't want to pony up to buy a big ugly and still bad camera.
But aside from the Price and the Screen size, that is really its only advantage right?
Weight. It's lighter.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Here in the US where carriers are offering all sorts of incentives to upgrade your phone and sign a multi-year contract, usually it’s not the pro models they’re offering discounted.
It’s usually just the regular 15, and you have to pay the difference if you want anything better.

Keeping this in mind, the much bigger screen of the 15+ is only a $100 up charge.

The Pro Max is at least a $400 up charge from the regular 15.

It’s a lot easier to justify getting a bigger screen and battery for $100 than it is $400, especially when the majority of these customers aren’t ever going to need or use the extra “pro” features.

Reactions: gtjacket123

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
Screen size of course. As with the plus phones since the 6.

My mother who’s turning 70 soon always had a plus iPhone (6 Plus, 8 Plus and now the 14 Plus) just for the bigger screen and turned on „larger fonts“. Her eye sight isn’t the best anymore so bigger is always better.
However, she neither needs the Pro-features nor does she want to pay the extra price for the Max-phone. So it has been a difficult time after the 8 Plus as there have been only Pro Max models with large screens.

She really likes her 14 Plus now, exactly the phone she wants.

Reactions: gtjacket123
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.