Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Without the Plus, if someone likes having a large screen but can’t afford the Pro Max and/or thinks it’s too heavy, they might be more inclined to buy an Android phone instead.
Pretty sure if they want an iPhone they wouldn't automatically jump to android. They obviously chose the iPhone not based on a size of a screen but the OS. THey'd likely just get the base iPHONE.

It's confusing because you all are speaking from a technical/enthusiast standpoint.

I know what the Pro max and the Pro stand for and I know what the Base model stands for. From a consumer standpoint, I am looking at

1. Price (it's not that much more than a base)
2. If i want a bigger screen like the plus, I can also then pony up the money to get the Pro Max and get more features with it.
3. OR i can essentially get the Max features but still get the Base size.

The Plus, in my opinion, is redundant. It's not a bad phone by any means. I also find the fact that Apple still sells the 13 when the 14 is still there as redundant as well

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
Battery life and display real estate, I'd expect, for people who don't care about Pro's fancy stuff.

Flash1420

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2022
Not saying that it is not selling well, but I have only seen about 2 iPhone Plus' in public and I live in Arizona. The starting price of it is $899 assuming you activate with a carrier and unlocked is $929. So now it's starting to get in the Pro territory. I think its aimed at people who don't want all the fancy features of the Pro Max and just want a basic iPhone with a big battery.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
I know what the Pro max and the Pro stand for and I know what the Base model stands for. From a consumer standpoint, I am looking at

1. Price (it's not that much more than a base)
2. If i want a bigger screen like the plus, I can also then pony up the money to get the Pro Max and get more features with it.
3. OR i can essentially get the Max features but still get the Base size.

The Plus, in my opinion, is redundant. It's not a bad phone by any means. I also find the fact that Apple still sells the 13 when the 14 is still there as redundant as well

The price difference between the 15 and 15 Pro Max (with like storage) is around $300. Some may not value the Pro features enough to justify the higher price but still want a larger phone and therefore would instead go with a 15 Plus which is only $100 more (with like storage) than the 15.

Additionally, the 15 Plus is available with the lower priced 128GB storage level while the Pro Max starts at 256GB. You can therefore get the larger size of the 15 Pro Max in the 15 Plus for around $300 less.

The lower price of the 15 Plus (versus 15 Pro Max) is the appeal here.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
The price difference between the 15 and 15 Pro Max (with like storage) is around $300. Some may not value the Pro features enough to justify the higher price but still want a larger phone and therefore would instead go with a 15 Plus which is only $100 more (with like storage) than the 15.

Additionally, the 15 Plus is available with the lower priced 128GB storage level while the Pro Max starts at 256GB. You can therefore get the larger size of the 15 Pro Max in the 15 Plus for around $300 less.

The lower price of the 15 Plus (versus 15 Pro Max) is the appeal here.
But aside from the Price and the Screen size, that is really its only advantage right?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
But aside from the Price and the Screen size, that is really its only advantage right?
This big YouTuber tested it and the battery life of the iPhone 15 Plus is one hour and 38 minutes longer than the iPhone 15 Pro Max:

So it's really quite simple:
  • $300 cheaper
  • Large display
  • Longest battery life by far
A lot of people don't care about pro features and just want a big phone to watch videos on during their lunch break at their crappy job and at home on the couch because they don't have an iPad. I have a buddy who does exactly this, buying a new one every four years.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Battery on the plus is noticeably better than the PM
Heard.

Well like i said i'll definitely look at the Plus version if they are around next year. You guys did at least educate me a bit. I do find the 15 plus redundant (i would have simply refined the base or the base pro) and did 3 models but i can sort of get the purpose of it.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
The Plus model caters those who want big screen/better battery life experience without breaking the bank for features they don’t need (in the Pro Max models).

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
From Apple's perspective?

To sell an iPhone at as many price tiers as possible.

From user's perspective?

Just list your own favourite features.

You nailed it - there’s an iPhone for everyone. However I’m still confused about the existence of the 14 Plus…

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Battery life can be a factor too but size and price alone can be meaningful differences for buyers.

It's why Starbucks offers Short, Tall, Grande and Venti options. :)

Yes but at least then there is an actual major difference. There are no 2 sizes that are the same :)

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Sometimes for people it’s just about getting an iPhone at the right price. Big screen and £899 is more attractive than a big screen at £1199. I think people on forums would be surprised how many iPhone users don’t study and compare specs between models and just go for a phone that looks good on their carrier deal.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
I always get the Pro Max. But when my personal 11 Pro Max got destroyed while installing solar panels at my job, my company gave me a corporate iPhone 14 Plus. I still plan to get another personal iPhone Pro Max for me… but I can see why people get the iPhone Plus. Some people just prefer the larger screen but don’t want the extra features or higher price of the Pro Max. It makes total sense for Apple to offer both sizes in the Pro & non Pro models. Covers all the bases.

I think the appeal of the Plus has next to nothing to do with price. After all, we're talking, what, $100 or $200 difference, depending on the configuration?

No, the appeal of the Plus phones is carryability: It's a big phone that's both lighter and thinner (and therefore more comfortable) than the Max phones. A lot of people carry phones in their pants, and with the Max you feel like you have a brick in there--even w/ the "lighter" 15 Pro Max. It's just too damn heavy.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal

What is the purpose of the "Plus" model phones​

Make phone calls?

There are different product variants that target different customer needs, simple as that

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Sometimes for people it’s just about getting an iPhone at the right price. Big screen and £899 is more attractive than a big screen at £1199. I think people on forums would be surprised how many iPhone users don’t study and compare specs between models and just go for a phone that looks good on their carrier deal.
The vast majority does exactly that

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
You nailed it - there’s an iPhone for everyone. However I’m still confused about the existence of the 14 Plus…

Shouldn't be difficult to understand.

This represents U.S. unit sales in the 12 months ending in September 2023. Many people are buying 14 Plus even before the 15 was available. Some people want big display, some people want cameras, and some people want both.

8818d1fe-db47-418a-a993-2ee2987eb78d_1128x827.png

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Shouldn't be difficult to understand.

This represents U.S. unit sales in the 12 months ending in September 2023. Many people are buying 14 Plus even before the 15 was available.

View attachment 2327564

The 15 Plus is just a better phone… Why do people get the 14 Plus over 15 Plus?

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015

I have both and actually enjoy holding the 14 Plus a bit better. Why? It's a tad thinner, and I notice. I think it's also a tad wider, and I like that. It's about fit.

The 15 Plus is great, though. They're very similar, to the point that the 14 Plus cases can (almost) fit the 15 Plus.

Reactions: Al Rukh

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
My wife doesn't give a **** about Promotion or 3 cameras. All she want is a big ass screen for watching Youtube.

The Pro Max is not only much heavier than the Plus, it's also way more expensive.

The Plus is perfect for her. And for many others as well.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
Do you like piña coladas and taking long walks in the rain big screens and great battery life BUT you don't want to pay an arm and a leg for the Pro Max?

That's the purpose of the Plus.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
iPhone hardware is very overtuned. Most people don't need "better", and will go for what's more affordable. Even the older iPhones would be good enough for most people as well if it weren't for a few hurdles (not sold new, battery replacements, the occasional unsupported app... ) It also doesn't help that the 15 is a very minor improvement over the 14 anyways.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Yes but at least then there is an actual major difference. There are no 2 sizes that are the same :)

There are many Starbucks drinks available in the same size. Far more than current iPhones available in the same size.

With an iPhone, you essentially pick your version (standard or Pro) and then your size (regular or Plus/Max). Several factors can come into play in making those decisions but there are basically four distinct choices:
Smaller phone without Pro features = 15
Larger phone without Pro features = 15 Plus
Smaller phone with Pro features = 15 Pro
Larger phone with Pro features = 15 Pro Max

if the 15 Plus didn't exist, the option for someone to get a larger phone without the Pro features wouldn't exist. They'd either have to settle for a smaller phone or pay up for Pro features they may not want/need.

Reactions: Barbareren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.