Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I'm a big fan of sous vide cooking. These NY strips have been in the freezer for probably over a year. But you wouldn't be able to tell just by looking at them and more importantly, tasting them. Put them in a water bath at 129°, then finished them on the grill for 4 minutes on each side. It was very tender.

IMG_0588.jpeg
IMG_0589.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
An easy - and very tasty - winter favourite:

Pasta with homemade blue cheese sauce (double cream, pasta cooking liquid, three types of blue cheese that I needed to use up), and wilted spinach.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
An easy - and very tasty - winter favourite:

Pasta with homemade blue cheese sauce (double cream, pasta cooking liquid, three types of blue cheese that I needed to use up), and wilted spinach.
Sounds delicious. What shape of pasta did you use?

I had a similar pasta with sundried tomato, and walnut with spinach, and it was amazing.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sounds delicious. What shape of pasta did you use?

I had a similar pasta with sundried tomato, and walnut with spinach, and it was amazing.
Originally, I came across a version of this recipe in a Nigel Slater recipe book (Real Fast Food, if memory serves), around twenty five years ago.

Anyway, I diced Gorgonzola, and Stilton, and some Birbablu, allowing them to melt in an Italian sauté pan under a low heat.

Any blue cheese will work with this - or, any blend of blue cheeses - but, I usually try to ensure that I have some Gorgonzola to hand; it is a great way of using up blur cheeses.

Sometimes, I will use a variety of cheese - they don't always have to be blue (but, for me, they usually are).

When the cheese was melted, I added some double cream, and, later, some of the liquid from the pasta cooking water.

Next in, was the shredded spinach, which was allowed to wilt.

Finally, the cooked pasta - today, I used orecchiette - was added, and mixed through. Candidly, any pasta will work well with this dish. I have also used the long pastas successfully.

Chopped walnuts will go exceptionally well with this dish; in fact, they are almost always served with the classic gnocchi and blue cheese sauce.

It is an easy, and incredibly tasty dish - one of the very few meals that can be on te table 30 minutes after one started preparing it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My own repast was slow cooked belly of pork (cooked on a low heat for over six hours, apart from the initial twenty minutes, which were very high so that proper crackling would develop), - sea salt rubbed into the scored skin, - on a bed of sautéed onions, and carrots, and garlic, (around eight fat cloves of garlic), thinly sliced cooking apple, some anchovies (which were dissolved into the stock), and a few thinly sliced potatoes, seasoned with freshly ground black pepper, and sprigs of thyme, to which was added stock, white wine, and homemade (though not by me) apple juice.

With this, I served cooking apples that had been sautéed in butter and brown sugar.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Slow cooked belly of pork is a cheap cut of meat, which yields an incredibly tasty dish.

However, the preparation - and, above all, the cooking - both take time.

Actually, yesterday, this dish was in the oven for well over six hours - but this ensures that the meat is wonderfully moist and flavoursome when finally served.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I went to Pizza Twist and ordered an 11 inch Bombay Garlic Paneer pizza.

Attachments

• IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    549.4 KB · Views: 19
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.