Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Barbacoa tostadas, and roasted plantain for Taco Tuesday.
0f638380348cfc69a51d909165c46b19.jpg
915d35592df4a9cd8a4f2fca9583cfdd.jpg
1500c8483183921d75afe8e03bdfcc04.jpg

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I had Chicken Tikka pizza on a recent work trip, and I am obsessed.

It makes sense that Indian food pizza would taste delicious since it goes so well with naan, but I never made the connection in my mind.
We have three Indian pizza places in town, but also three traditional Indian restaurants. Sadly, the tourist-oriented stuff goes on the buffet and the good stuff takes time to make.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
We have three Indian pizza places in town, but also three traditional Indian restaurants.
Are the traditional Indian restaurants actually good?

I must say that I love a really good biryani.
Sadly, the tourist-oriented stuff goes on the buffet and the good stuff takes time to make.
Unfortunately, what you describe as 'the good stuff" all too often does take time to prepare properly.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Are the traditional Indian restaurants actually good?

I must say that I love a really good biryani.

Unfortunately, what you describe as 'the good stuff" all too often does take time to prepare properly.
I've tried two out of three and they're good. They still serve the Butter Chicken and other tourist-y dishes.

I'm more for Bhindi Masala, Aloo Ghobi, and Mutter Paneer.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Went out for a delicious burger last night.

Sometimes I wish they wouldn't put the calories on the menu
6e652654d2d4b75f71c110e8e5f5d4ba.jpg
dd14725cc47e19b89dc3a3c64b850b3f.jpg
Not sometimes, but "Always", I wish that they wouldn't put calories on a menu; save the calories debates for dismal private kitchens and bouts of self-flagellation.

I mean, by definition, a burger saturated with Guinness, and served with sautéed onions and mushrooms, bacon jam, mozzarella, mayo, roasted tomatoes will have a lot of calories. That is the whole point of such a seductively tasty offering.

Anyway, it looks delicious: Do enjoy.

Reactions: bousozoku

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Went out for a delicious burger last night.

Sometimes I wish they wouldn't put the calories on the menu
O-M-G... o_O
My daily diner consists of raw vegetables, today's example is below (yes, with the calories !).
There, I restored balance in the Universe :p

Diner.jpg

• Wow

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Italian sausage and pasta in a homemade creamy sauce (with anchovies melted into the olive oil and butter mix, sautéed diced onion, diced garlic, chopped sage leaves, some double cream, freshly grated Pecorino, freshly squeezed lemon juice, grated lemon rind, and some pasta cooking liquid).

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
O-M-G... o_O
My daily diner consists of raw vegetables, today's example is below (yes, with the calories !).
There, I restored balance in the Universe

View attachment 2354834
Despite the indulgent foods I post in this thread I have lost close ro 10 kilos so far this year.

I hope you eat more than 45 calories for dinner. That wouldn't even be enough for a snack lol.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Despite the indulgent foods I post in this thread I have lost close ro 10 kilos so far this year.

I hope you eat more than 45 calories for dinner. That wouldn't even be enough for a snack lol.
All I can say is, if I were to lose 10 kilos - even the slightest breeze would blow me off my socks :D
Clearly, we have a different constitution, but good for you I say !

As for my diner, sure I eat more sometimes - like today.

Fruit.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Something about discussion of calories - in the context of dinner - just seems to impel me to consult as many recipes as possible (the more rich, flavoursome and downright delicious, the better) about sausages (sausage casserole, perhaps) and luscious mashed potatoes which are - shall we say - more than generous in their application of butter.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I eat extremely light throughout the day, specifically so I can have a rich satisfying dinner, while still hitting my fitness goals.

I couldn't live without a filling, rich dinner every night.

I hope they are okay, and not starving themselves.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
How many calories do you eat in a day?
Around 700 kcal
This implies no meat, no sugar, no salt, no over-processed foods, no restaurants.

After my early morning workouts, I love to have a hearty breakfast (± 280 kcal).
But I keep my diner light, aiming for a good night sleep.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Something about discussion of calories - in the context of dinner - just seems to impel me to consult as many recipes as possible (the more rich, flavoursome and downright delicious, the better) about sausages (sausage casserole, perhaps) and luscious mashed potatoes which are - shall we say - more than generous in their application of butter.
You do have a way with words LOL, but I'm with you. However, taste is a strange thing.

About 45 years ago, I was in poor health and simply had to act upon it - so I switched to a vegetarian lifestyle.
I vividly remember my first bowl of muesli, when I said: "This stuff can be as healthy as Heaven, I hate it and will never touch it again". Nowadays, oatmeal is my favorite food by a distance and I will pass on anything else for it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
You do have a way with words LOL, but I'm with you.
Thank you.
However, taste is a strange thing.

About 45 years ago, I was in poor health and simply had to act upon it - so I switched to a vegetarian lifestyle.
I vividly remember my first bowl of muesli, when I said: "This stuff can be as healthy as Heaven, I hate it and will never touch it again". Nowadays, oatmeal is my favorite food by a distance and I will pass on anything else for it.
Fair enough.

Different folks, different needs, (health, dietary and otherwise), different culinary and cultural preferences as they relate to food, its production and preparation, and so on. This is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

In my case, while I did have some (relatively marked), personal preferences as an adolescent, my culinary epiphany occurred while on an amazing trip to France when I was a teenager; it didn't just open my eyes to what it was possible to do with food, I can say with certainty that it absolutely blew my mind.

Actually, I loved French food, French cafés, French culture, (art, literature, history), the French language....

Last edited:
Reactions: GerritV

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Thank you.

Fair enough.

Different folks, different needs, (health, dietary and otherwise), different culinary and cultural preferences as they relate to food, its production and preparation, and so on. This is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

In my case, while I did have some (relatively marked), personal preferences as an adolescent, my culinary epiphany occurred while on an amazing trip to France when I was a teenager; it didn't just open my eyes to what it was possible to do with food, I can say with certainty that it absolutely blew my mind.

Actually, I loved French food, French cafés, French culture, (art, literature, history), the French language....
I just booked my tickets to France this September! We will be touring through southern France from Nice to Lyon by bike, and car through the mountains of Provence.

I am looking forward to the culture, and the cycling, but I am really going for the food.

I have been lucky enough to travel many places, but there is nothing like French food. Their perfect climate for agriculture, and long history of taking cooking almost too seriously makes it the best in the world.

I will be going hard on the workouts so I can eat 4000+ calories per day.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I just booked my tickets to France this September! We will be touring through southern France from Nice to Lyon by bike, and car through the mountains of Provence.

I am looking forward to the culture, and the cycling, but I am really going for the food.

I have been lucky enough to travel many places, but there is nothing like French food. Their perfect climate for agriculture, and long history of taking cooking almost too seriously makes it the best in the world.

I will be going hard on the workouts so I can eat 4000+ calories per day.
That sounds absolutely brilliant; I'm envious, and agree that French cuisine and culture are superlative, especialy when taken together.

I think that it is not just a case of "taking cooking almost too seriously", but of treating food - and eating - with respect, and seeking to share the pleasure of dining together with others, friends or family.

The notion of "grabbing a sandwich" is alien in France - "grabbing" is such an ugly verb in that context, not that there is anything wrong with a well made sandwich.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Sometimes it becomes an issue because there is no rushing a French restaurant. You are expected to stay for several courses, and make it an evening.

You are almost held hostage, and forced to eat more delicious food.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sometimes it becomes an issue because there is no rushing a French restaurant. You are expected to stay for several courses, and make it an evening.

You are almost held hostage, and forced to eat more delicious food.
That is still - to my mind - much better than "grabbing" (a sandwich, or lunch), or "gulping" (a tea, a coffee, a meal), or "wolfing" lunch, or dinner.

Taking time to savour a meal allows for appreciation not just of the cuisine but also of company of the people with whom one dines.

Those very verbs tell you all you need to know about a world where one's time is sacrificed to the demands of capital (and other demands), and neither dining nor one's companions receive the respect that they deserve.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Greetings from Athens, yes there are "fast" chains here but the taverna meals are like @Mellofello808 describe in France above. Last night had assorted plates with colleagues, "xorta" (greens), Greek salad, fried zucchini, fried anchovies, fried shrimp and baked sardines. All brought out one by one at a leisurely pace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.