Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Studying recipes for Spanish beef stew (with pimentón, Spanish sweet, smoked paprika), or Hungarian beef gulyas (goulash), prepared with Hungarian paprika.

One or other shall be prepared tomorrow.

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
j6eiou6zco741.jpg

xhwn9ykuao741.jpg

Tried the wok out with some steak, and chicken fajitas.

The steak unfortunately overcooked in under 60 seconds on there, still good but past the med rare I was shooting for. Luckily the chicken/peppers/onions/mushrooms came out absolutely perfect.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Feeling lazy, so nothing fancy... just some fish n chips.

I’ve got a craving for some crab cakes and new England clam chowder tho.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A version of Hungarian goulash (gulyas) will be prepared for dinner, the sort that takes hours and hours of cooking.

Fortunately, I expect that there will be enough prepared for a couple of days, as this is the sort of dish that improves a day or so later.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A take on Hungarian gulyas, (goulash).

First, I sautéed the beef, and sautéed some diced pancetta, (separately) and chopped and peeled (Iberico) chorizo (not authentic, agreed, but will add a porky spiciness to the dish) in olive oil, and removed them when browned.

Next, chopped vegetables - carrots, onions and long, sweet, red peppers - roughly chopped - were sautéed in olive oil, to which butter was added, and to which a small dish of minced garlic (a large head) was eventually added. Sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and a little organic sugar were also added at this stage.

They were left soften and sauté, whereupon I added almost a dessertspoon of caraway seeds, and three dessertspoons of sweet Hungarian paprika, plus one dessertspoon of Hungarian hot paprika.

Sherry vinegar was then added, (a few dessertspoons), a tin of Italian tomatoes (seasoned with salt and pepper), a few dessertspoons of tomato puree, and a jug of beef stock.

At that point, the various meats were returned to the copper dish, and now, it will be let simmer for around four hours or so.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Bok choy in ginger/garlic with sweet chili pork meatballs

Homemade?

We did our traditional (for us) NYE/NY dinner, a ham (with some magic DIY glaze), pasta salad, the wife's *amazing* homemade mac and cheese, collard greens, black eyed peas, all "from scratch" (though bought fresh from a store), then today with those as left overs plus some beer cooked kielbasa and kraut :)

So in the US, we have some foods that are eaten on New Year for good luck, and they're regional, so like the kielbasa and kraut is from the PA area, black eyed peas are from the south - we're not superstitious, but it couldn't __hurt__, especially when they're also delicious :D

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Tonight's dinner will be our traditional New Years day dinner of pork roast, mixed greens, black eyed peas and corn bread. One mustn't mess with a Southern family tradition!

Reactions: chown33

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Made stock from all the veggie scraps and a chicken carcass over NYE

Cooked black eyed pead from dry in it yesterday.

Today tossed together a hearty soup with kale, veggies, sausage, and the black eyed peas, and the dank stock.

boghl550th841.jpg

kxwjkx2wuh841.jpg

Tasty

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
j6eiou6zco741.jpg

xhwn9ykuao741.jpg

Tried the wok out with some steak, and chicken fajitas.

Looks good!

Duck wings are one of my very favorite dishes to chew on with beer while watching sports.

After roasting, I toss them in a very hot outdoor wok along with hand fulls of rough cut garlic, spears of green onion, and jalapeños. ?

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
5xtzf2lql4841.jpg

3uy656vum4841.jpg

Went to a dinner party tonight. We made bananas foster for desert with the ice cream bananas from our yard. Topped with haagen dazs vanilla.

I had never heard of bananas foster until I read (and drooled over) this post.

Hence, Mr Google to the rescue; I must say that that looks absolutely delicious.

Looks good!

Duck wings are one of my very favorite dishes to chew on with beer while watching sports.

After roasting, I toss them in a very hot outdoor wok along with hand fulls of rough cut garlic, spears of green onion, and jalapeños. ?

Ah: "Handfuls of (rough cut) garlic" is exactly the sort of measurement that meets with my full and enthusiastic approval.

So, after roasting, they meet a very hot wok with vast quantities of garlic, spears of green onion (yes!), and jalapeños? This is an angle I hadn't considered when roasting chicken wings.

When cooking, a head of garlic, rather than a few, mere, cloves, tends to be my unit of garlic accounting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gutwrench

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
zbh6fdaskv841.jpg

Fresh off the boat Ahi sashimi, with "poke" dipping sauce, and a tall dark and stormy cocktail.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.