Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
Second attempt at baklava (burnt the first one as usual). It's not the thinnest phyllo and probably not the crunchiest. Taste good to me, and I like the fact I can reduced the amount of sugar. I was motivated to do this because every christmas I would buy baklava for the family and they cost too much.

I thought it was going to be pretty hard to make the phyllo, but as I kept doing it it became fun. I snuck in a bit of sourdough starter and let the dough ferment for a couple hours also.

IMG_20191219_213554.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191219_182236.jpg
    IMG_20191219_182236.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20191219_214323.jpg
    IMG_20191219_214323.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 70

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Speaking of big birds, and large families, holy hell, how many were you feeding with __two__ 30-lbs-ers! You sure those weren't ostriches ?
I think we had just over 40 people this year. There was other meat but you know some people won't eat a type or cut of meat because they find it too fattening but will happily stuff themselves full of desserts and chocolate, like a few of our close family.

We had just enough leftovers to not bother cooking the next day and a half. Cooking all that food is pretty simple when you have enough space to cook everything at once. Also helps when you know the people you're cooking for very well and can figure out how much vegetables and sides you need to prepare.

Christmas, on the other hand, is when we bother experimenting with something new and it's also harder to figure out how much to buy or make. Everyone overeats at Christmas or eats something they'd never otherwise eat.
[automerge]1576891183[/automerge]
the smaller birds were way too small since we do actually want leftover for a couple of days.
Under 12 lb and you're better off roasting two large chickens.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I think we had just over 40 people this year. There was other meat but you know some people won't eat a type or cut of meat because they find it too fattening but will happily stuff themselves full of desserts and chocolate, like a few of our close family.

We had just enough leftovers to not bother cooking the next day and a half. Cooking all that food is pretty simple when you have enough space to cook everything at once. Also helps when you know the people you're cooking for very well and can figure out how much vegetables and sides you need to prepare.

Christmas, on the other hand, is when we bother experimenting with something new and it's also harder to figure out how much to buy or make. Everyone overeats at Christmas or eats something they'd never otherwise eat.

Wow; serious numbers and an impressive grasp of logistics.

Under 12 lb and you're better off roasting two large chickens.

Or agreeing in advance to share a turkey with another couple - have it sold in two halves. This is what my brother and German sister-in-law do, as there are only the pair of them for Christmas dinner, and a full turkey would be far too much for them to have to prepare.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Second attempt at baklava (burnt the first one as usual). It's not the thinnest phyllo and probably not the crunchiest. Taste good to me, and I like the fact I can reduced the amount of sugar. I was motivated to do this because every christmas I would buy baklava for the family and they cost too much.

I thought it was going to be pretty hard to make the phyllo, but as I kept doing it it became fun. I snuck in a bit of sourdough starter and let the dough ferment for a couple hours also.

View attachment 884014

Looks amazing.

I am in the process of preparing a sort of Spanish stew with chorizo, anchovies, a dish full of diced garlic, some chopped onions, a chopped carrot, some chopped roasted peppers, cannellini beans (the recipe called for chickpeas which I don't have), Italian tinned tomatoes, sweet smoked paprika (pimentón), chilli, and stock.

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I think we had just over 40 people this year.

One of my bros reported with feigned surprise after Thanksgiving this year that "geez we found out we can make as much of a mess in the kitchen to serve 10 people as when we served 34..."

We usually end up doing the equivalent of a Christmas feast when it's nearly spring thanks to uncertain weather and dicey roads but we'll see how it goes for some local get togethers over the actual holiday season. I don't live toooo far from one of my brothers. Meanwhile the deep pantry beckons. I fished out some frozen eggrolls the other night for a preview and found out they're not that bad. Circumstances easily enough convert the likes of camp food to banquet material for me sometimes in winter.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
One of my bros reported with feigned surprise after Thanksgiving this year that "geez we found out we can make as much of a mess in the kitchen to serve 10 people as when we served 34..."

We usually end up doing the equivalent of a Christmas feast when it's nearly spring thanks to uncertain weather and dicey roads but we'll see how it goes for some local get togethers over the actual holiday season. I don't live toooo far from one of my brothers. Meanwhile the deep pantry beckons. I fished out some frozen eggrolls the other night for a preview and found out they're not that bad. Circumstances easily enough convert the likes of camp food to banquet material for me sometimes in winter.

Another Christmas is rolling around. Where’s my quilt? ?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Did you prepare it? Bread? Tell us about the bread with it. ?

I just put two tenderloins in a water bath for later.

The anchovies (chopped) were allowed to melt into the heated olive oil; the diced carrot was added, softened, whereupon the diced onions were added until soft. Then, ten fat cloves of diced garlic were scraped from their dish into the pan, as was the chopped Spanish chorizo (from Iberico pigs), and allowed to soften and season nicely; chopped roast peppers, sweet smoked paprika (pimentón) and hot Spanish paprika and half a teaspoon of chilli followed in due course, and were sautéed slowly for several minutes.

After that, Italian tinned tomatoes (San Marzano), were added to the dish, allowed to meld, and marry and merge with the rest of the dish. A jug of stock was poured into the casserole. Then, a tin of (Italian - San Marzano) cannellini, drained, the final ingredient, was added, and the dish simmered for a further half an hour.

Served with rye bread and natural yogurt.

There will be seconds for tomorrow, and I shall debate whether to have pasta (perhaps fettuccine) or rice to accompany.
[automerge]1576959762[/automerge]
It was a raclette tonight!

View attachment 884105

Raclette and Morbier from what I can see.

Looks mouth-watering.

What other cheeses are on the plate?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Gutwrench

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
What does an air fryer actually do?

That looks delicious, by the way.
Thanks.

Basically, an air fryer is a super condensed oven that heats up quickly (using less power than a conventional oven) & circulates the hot air very quickly under & through your food. I did those meatballs/BBQ chop & potato gems in 13 minutes @ 180°C (flipping the meatballs & gems half way through).

They’re called ‘fryers’ because they make food crispy via healthier cooking - no need to deep fry/pan fry food in oil.

It’s also easier to clean up - a quick wipe of the tray if you plan to use it again soon, or soapy soft sponge for longer storage.

I’ve placed a sheet of aluminium foil on the bottom so that minimises the clean up of the lower section, which is where the minimal oil collects..

I’ve also cooked Chicken, fries & Dim Sims & they’ve also come out nicely.

643D3734-67EC-42CE-A1BA-0D7560F12A35.jpeg B655CAD7-DBEE-4E39-B7F6-656A71627B8C.jpeg

I’d rate the Air Fryer up there with the Pressure Cooker for it’s convenience & time saving benefits.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks.

Basically, an air fryer is a super condensed oven that heats up quickly (using less power than a conventional oven) & circulates the hot air very quickly under & through your food. I did those meatballs/BBQ chop & potato gems in 13 minutes @ 180°C (flipping the meatballs & gems half way through).

They’re called ‘fryers’ because they make food crispy via healthier cooking - no need to deep fry/pan fry food in oil.

It’s also easier to clean up - a quick wipe of the tray if you plan to use it again soon, or soapy soft sponge for longer storage.

I’ve placed a sheet of aluminium foil on the bottom so that minimises the clean up of the lower section, which is where the minimal oil collects..

I’ve also cooked Chicken, fries & Dim Sims & they’ve also come out nicely.

View attachment 884152 View attachment 884153

I’d rate the Air Fryer up there with the Pressure Cooker for it’s convenience & time saving benefits.

Dim Sums? Did someone mention Dim Sum? Yum.

Thank you for the fascinating explanation; much appreciated.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009

Mess can be avoided if you have a system in place and begin prepping a few days in advance.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Mess can be avoided if you have a system in place and begin prepping a few days in advance.

Yeah I think he just meant that if you're making gravy for 10 or 40, there's still going to be a pot that had gravy made in it... somehow he was telling himself up front that a quarter of the guests is a quarter of everything. LOL and he's a guy who used to manage restaurants. The things we tell ourselves when we think we need shelter from reality...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Wow I never heard of that. I love brown bread though, always keep tins of it in my winter pantry.

It is less sweet - and with a somewhat different texture - to standard ice-cream; however, I love it, and recommend it highly.

I first came across it (and I am not an ice-cream lover) at a dinner with my mother (one of her work dinners, with her professional colleagues, I was there as her assistant) in an award winning restaurant almost thirty years ago, and was bowled over - as I had never even heard of the concept (brown bread ice-cream) until that day.

Since then, I have encountered this delight in some very good (small but high quality dairy/ice-cream businesses), and really recommend it.

Last edited:
Reactions: LizKat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.