Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
vEEtP7d_d.jpg

Cookies and die hard

Reactions: D.T.

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Currently flying on SQ 334. Got lobster thermidor. Honestly, best I ever had!!!

Beats the bag of peanuts I got the last time I flew, I guess if you pay peanuts you get peanuts, haha.
That meal does look amazing, I like the serving plate as well. I collect old airline serving wares and that is definitely a nice one. What airline is it?

Reactions: gigatoaster

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Beats the bag of peanuts I got the last time I flew, I guess if you pay peanuts you get peanuts, haha.
That meal does look amazing, I like the serving plate as well. I collect old airline serving wares and that is definitely a nice one. What airline is it?

That’s Singapore Airlines. It used to be the best in the world, but now Air New Zealand is better, apparently. I love SQ the service is impeccable. You push the button the hostess comes in 3 min max.
You can choose your meal: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg/flying-withus/dining/book-the-cook/

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
What should be for dinner on evening two of a two-day stretch of prematurely arctic overnight temperatures?

LOL perhaps not gazpacho and a tossed salad.

Thinking maybe something pretty hearty, like some chicken simmered during the afternoon with some onions, green peppers, tomatoes and red potatoes, Mediterranean herbs, salt and black pepper.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
What should be for dinner on evening two of a two-day stretch of prematurely arctic overnight temperatures?

LOL perhaps not gazpacho and a tossed salad.

Thinking maybe something pretty hearty, like some chicken simmered during the afternoon with some onions, green peppers, tomatoes and red potatoes, Mediterranean herbs, salt and black pepper.

And, perhaps, some garlic?

Sounds delicious.

Reactions: LizKat

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm actually down to a couple heads so I'm hoarding it for stir fries. My niece will get me some soon from this season in her garden, it's been drying in her barn, great ropes of the stuff, but the weather's not been great lately from there to here, so our get together isn't scheduled yet!

Down to a couple of heads?

Yes, I can well imagine that some degree of garlic rationing may well be in order as a consequence, and preserving the remaining heads for dishes for which garlic is an essential ingredient, rather than an optional add on extra.

When I purchase garlic, it is usually several heads at a time, and most of my recipes start with a head of minced, sliced, or diced garlic.

When do you expect to be in a position to take delivery of - or receive - the "great ropes" (what a fantastic description) of dried garlic from your niece.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
When do you expect to be in a position to take delivery of - or receive - the "great ropes" (what a fantastic description) of dried garlic from your niece.

Within a week or two at most I hope, although we don't generally plan Christmas gatherings per se thanks to potential weather issues. Otherwise I'll have to buy some garlic at the market. There's usually a day or two in a given week when the county roads are reasonable this time of year even when it has been cold and snowy.

Meanwhile in cookery where peppers and onions are featured --and some black or white pepper, depending on the dish-- I don't mind so much if the garlic note is missing.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Within a week or two at most I hope, although we don't generally plan Christmas gatherings per se thanks to potential weather issues. Otherwise I'll have to buy some garlic at the market. There's usually a day or two in a given week when the county roads are reasonable this time of year even when it has been cold and snowy.

Meanwhile in cookery where peppers and onions are featured --and some black or white pepper, depending on the dish-- I don't mind so much if the garlic note is missing.

Needs must, I understand.

Well, at least, you have a few heads of garlic to hand for emergencies. (And stir fries).

I headed out to the shops to buy scallions today (shallots not meeting what I had in mind), but, I will admit that whenever I see peppers and onions feature in a dish, garlic nudges me too, and wonders why I might commit the culinary heresy of excluding it from the finished dish.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
That sounds delicious, eggs are sometimes just perfect for a supper in cold weather.

On the garlic: It's true now I figure belatedly that I'd rather have store-bought (or more likely some farmer's market) garlic on hand than do without it again, or think twice about where I'm going to use the last of my usual supply.

In planning my late autumn shopping a little while back, I must say I discounted talk in the weather forecasts of these several early winter onset snow dumps we have ended up getting. Live and learn!

Another really cold couple nights are coming up, so on one of them I'm falling back to some macaroni and cheese, I think. We're getting a truly calendar-sync'd introduction to the official winter season here for a change, with three nights of near-zero (ºF) nights in a row just before the solstice.

When they forecast a zero for this area, which has a lot of variance in altitude and exposure to prevailing winds, I have to subtract five or sometimes ten degrees for my own location. Along with that exercise comes a desire for comfort foods like scalloped potatoes, macaroni and cheese, pea soup and etc. And an extra quilt atop the bedding upstairs!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That sounds delicious, eggs are sometimes just perfect for a supper in cold weather.

On the garlic: It's true now I figure belatedly that I'd rather have store-bought (or more likely some farmer's market) garlic on hand than do without it again, or think twice about where I'm going to use the last of my usual supply.

In planning my late autumn shopping a little while back, I must say I discounted talk in the weather forecasts of these several early winter onset snow dumps we have ended up getting. Live and learn!

Another really cold couple nights are coming up, so on one of them I'm falling back to some macaroni and cheese, I think. We're getting a truly calendar-sync'd introduction to the official winter season here for a change, with three nights of near-zero (ºF) nights in a row just before the solstice.

When they forecast a zero for this area, which has a lot of variance in altitude and exposure to prevailing winds, I have to subtract five or sometimes ten degrees for my own location. Along with that exercise comes a desire for comfort foods like scalloped potatoes, macaroni and cheese, pea soup and etc. And an extra quilt atop the bedding upstairs!

A soothing, and comforting dish (Italian peasant food) that I can recommend for this time of year, is something such as cannellini beans with pasta (yes, two starches) along with the inevitable garlic, onions, and whatever else by way of vegetables (carrots, peppers), or meats (chorizo, pancetta) and stock, or stock and cream blended, that the dish may call for.

Artisan sausages will also go well with everything this time of year (and are especially great with anything in the potato line, mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, or something akin to the potatoes boulangère that I prepared last week with artisan sausages).

Pea soup sounds brilliant, and I can enthusiastically recommend lentil soup.

An extra quilt (or duvet) is an excellent idea this time of year; in foreign climes, I have been known to use my sheepskin coat on top of the quilt, if needed.

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Holy smokes, I mentioned the turkey in another thread, but it's 26 pounds (all natural Butterball), now THAT is a big boy :D

To flip the quote from Ralphie from A Christmas Story:

Turkey sandwiches! Turkey salad! Turkey gravy! Turkey Hash! Turkey a la King! Gallons of turkey soup!

Reactions: 0388631

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Holy smokes, I mentioned the turkey in another thread, but it's 26 pounds (all natural Butterball), now THAT is a big boy :D

To flip the quote from Ralphie from A Christmas Story:

Turkey sandwiches! Turkey salad! Turkey gravy! Turkey Hash! Turkey a la King! Gallons of turkey soup!
I'm a fan of their natural line. They're not injected with fluid or anything, hence the name. They carry a certain amount of gaminess but that's fine. I made the mistake of buying 4 30 pounders... Cooked two, the other two in the deep freeze. No idea what I'm going to do with them. Probably butcher them into smaller joints. Turkey makes a fantastic meat choice for a Shepherd's pie. Also works well with some cultural appropriation and those great south American on the go pockets with the green olives and golden sultanas.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Going to make a pot of chili tonight.

That sounds like an excellent suggestion for this time of year.

Re turkey, for a large bird, one needs a large family, otherwise one is eating turkey forever.

Personally, when eating (or serving) turkey, I liked the legs, and the darker meat, - not the breast - and absolutely adore turkey gravy; other than that, turkey sandwiches and turkey in salad worked well.

My father never liked turkey (although he bowed to tradition), and the rest of the family were somewhat indifferent to the actual bird, although they liked the tradition, as well.

These days, we forego turkey entirely, and instead, I will eat out somewhere, once a year, to get my turkey fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: D.T.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Re turkey, for a large bird, one needs a large family, otherwise one is eating turkey forever.

Personally, I liked the legs, and the darker meat, and absolutely adore turkey gravy

Yeah, it's just the 3 of us, no visitors this year (and we're at home vs. the previous two years), so it's a bit excessive - however, the smaller birds were way too small since we do actually want leftover for a couple of days.

The wife makes the most fantastic gravy (one reason she'll only do a whole turkey, so she gets all that delicious fats that cook off to make gravy). Her turkeys are pretty masterful, she does a nice rub with some magic seasonings/herb, on, in, under, all over, butter, lots of basting <drools> I know there's been this whole thing in recent years about not stuffing a turkey, but we always do. Dressing in the turkey and a big tray cooked separately, she also does her famous mashed potatoes, so it's a carb-o-rama but starting right now, I am off any sort of concerns over what I eat for the next week or so. In fact, we're about to leave for a 5 day getaway to a resort/park, and we've already got lots of eating preplanned :D

I love the legs after they've been in the fridge, the next night (usually late at night), with copious amounts of salt (which is funny, as I rarely salt food directly, and even then, it's just a tiny amount). Something about that rich, dark legmeat, the fats and salt ... yum!

I made the mistake of buying 4 30 pounders... Cooked two, the other two in the deep freeze. No idea what I'm going to do with them.

Speaking of big birds, and large families, holy hell, how many were you feeding with __two__ 30-lbs-ers! You sure those weren't ostriches ? o_O

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yeah, it's just the 3 of us, no visitors this year (and we're at home vs. the previous two years), so it's a bit excessive - however, the smaller birds were way too small since we do actually want leftover for a couple of days.

The wife makes the most fantastic gravy (one reason she'll only do a whole turkey, so she gets all that delicious fats that cook off to make gravy). Her turkeys are pretty masterful, she does a nice rub with some magic seasonings/herb, on, in, under, all over, butter, lots of basting <drools> I know there's been this whole thing in recent years about not stuffing a turkey, but we always do. Dressing in the turkey and a big tray cooked separately, she also does her famous mashed potatoes, so it's a carb-o-rama but starting right now, I am off any sort of concerns over what I eat for the next week or so. In fact, we're about to leave for a 5 day getaway to a resort/park, and we've already got lots of eating preplanned :D

I love the legs after they've been in the fridge, the next night (usually late at night), with copious amounts of salt (which is funny, as I rarely salt food directly, and even then, it's just a tiny amount). Something about that rich, dark legmeat, the fats and salt ... yum!

Speaking of big birds, and large families, holy hell, how many were you feeding with __two__ 30-lbs-ers! You sure those weren't ostriches ? o_O

That turkey gravy recipe sounds amazing (I'd have been perfectly happy to eat turkey gravy without any turkey at all - apart from the rich, fatty, tasty brown meat, which was always tasty), and I can well understand the urge to raid the fridge for rich, dark leg meat (and yes, agreed, salt is an absolute must, as it is with chicken).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.