Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Slabs of cheese and many bottles of various Italian whites. Must make a clearing for the next cheese order. Prunes on hand...

Reactions: decafjava

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Where do you buy your Boar’s Head (brand) at? Our local Kroger’s has it, but I usually buy the Kroger Private Selection brand, preferring their Black Forest Ham. And I did not realize Boars Head sold chorizo. How do you prepare the chorizo?

Missed this! Local grocery chain (Publix), it's cooked, it's a prepared sausage, like so:

1576421661766.png

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Missed this! Local grocery chain (Publix), it's cooked, it's a prepared sausage, like so:

View attachment 882928
That’s like a salami or pepperoni. I buy ours raw, Cacique Brand, fry it in the skillet and mix with eggs. Note, I would never choose to eat fried chorizo without the eggs. It’s a bit harsh without them, and that applies to skillet prepared. I suspect the sausage chorizo is good and with your picture, I remember seeing it in the deli section. :)

0807D216-F6EF-4E55-AE84-5DA61AC716A9.png

ED5B0EC1-D561-433E-A056-A39FBF340F21.jpeg
fry it up.

C883C2A8-C2F0-4214-9A88-849FAB179953.jpeg
add eggs and mix in.

4E70FE37-217E-4A66-A573-85A95AA9E22F.jpeg
delicious with flour tortilla, either roll the
chorizo in the tortillas, or tortillas on the side with butter spread in them.​

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Dinner all take the form of a pasta dish: Pasta, with borlotti beans, chorizo, pancetta, onions, garlic, and a little stock.

And very tasty it was, too.

The diced onions and garlic were first sautéed, (until soft), then the diced pancetta and chorizo were added.

After that, I added the borlotti beans, and stock, allowing it to simmer for a while; the pasta (fettuccine) was cooked separately, drained, drizzled in olive oil and seasoned with freshly ground black pepper.

Whereupon, dinner was served.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
And very tasty it was, too.

The diced onions and garlic were first sautéed, (until soft), then the diced pancetta and chorizo were added.

After that, I added the borlotti beans, and stock, allowing it to simmer for a while; the pasta (fettuccine) was cooked separately, drained, drizzled in olive oil and seasoned with freshly ground black pepper.

Whereupon, dinner was served.

Holy smokes, that sounds delicious!

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Venison shank ragu over baked potato. The venison (North American White Tail) shank is a gnarly looking mass of muscle and tendons that you are not really sure you can actually eat. Rest assured though it is fantastic when cooked properly.
The shank was slow braised 300 degrees 4hrs then 225 degrees for 4hrs (lid off) then left sit covered in the warm oven over night which was another 8 hrs. The braising broth was simply enough water to cover, lotsa garlic, bay leaf, quartered onion, couple carrots and celery.

The next morning you remove the still warm shank and trim by removing bones and any tendons that did not get soft (there may not be any) and cut the meat into bite sized pieces or actually for ragu I snipped all the meat chunks with kitchen shears into 1/4 inch type pieces, puree the braising liquid with a emulsion blender and add the meat back in, heat and serve.

It was super tender and had a really amazing flavor. I used to grind the shanks for burger meat but not anymore this was way better.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Venison shank ragu over baked potato. The venison (North American White Tail) shank is a gnarly looking mass of muscle and tendons that you are not really sure you can actually eat. Rest assured though it is fantastic when cooked properly.
The shank was slow braised 300 degrees 4hrs then 225 degrees for 4hrs (lid off) then left sit covered in the warm oven over night which was another 8 hrs. The braising broth was simply enough water to cover, lotsa garlic, bay leaf, quartered onion, couple carrots and celery.

The next morning you remove the still warm shank and trim by removing bones and any tendons that did not get soft (there may not be any) and cut the meat into bite sized pieces or actually for ragu I snipped all the meat chunks with kitchen shears into 1/4 inch type pieces, puree the braising liquid with a emulsion blender and add the meat back in, heat and serve.

It was super tender and had a really amazing flavor. I used to grind the shanks for burger meat but not anymore this was way better.

Sounds absolutely delicious. Yum.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
@Huntn , FWIW Mexican Chorizo needs a much longer cooking time to evaporate its higher moisture content. I'd advise mixing it around because it turns the crumble/ground into a much finer consistency which doesn't translate well when eating. It's a texture issue.

Would advise low heat until it sears or begins to brown, then slowly flip over portions. Only when most of the moisture has been cooked away can you break it down with whatever tool you're using. Using a better quality of chorizo is advised, too.

It's kind of like making a ragout using ground sausage, beef and veal. You need to cook them until they develop crunchy parts here and there so they don't end up gummy after the four or five hour cookout.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

My minimal experience with venison is that a lot of taste depends on the diet of the deer.
[automerge]1576537315[/automerge]
@Huntn , FWIW Mexican Chorizo needs a much longer cooking time to evaporate its higher moisture content. I'd advise mixing it around because it turns the crumble/ground into a much finer consistency which doesn't translate well when eating. It's a texture issue.

Would advise low heat until it sears or begins to brown, then slowly flip over portions. Only when most of the moisture has been cooked away can you break it down with whatever tool you're using. Using a better quality of chorizo is advised, too.

It's kind of like making a ragout using ground sausage, beef and veal. You need to cook them until they develop crunchy parts here and there so they don't end up gummy after the four or five hour cookout.
What are you making that requires 4-5 hours of cooking?

What I buy seems to have a fine consistency. We eat it for breakfast, and I do spend much of it’s cooking time mixing it, then mixing in the raw eggs. I prefer it a bit wet looking, and my wife likes it dryer, cooked more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0388631

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My minimal experience with venison is that a lot of taste depends on the diet of the deer.
[automerge]1576537315[/automerge]

What are you making that requires 4-5 hours of cooking?

What I buy seems to have a fine consistency. We eat it for breakfast, and I do spend much of it’s cooking time mixing it, then mixing in the raw eggs. I prefer it a bit wet looking, and my wife likes it dryer, cooked more.

Most beef casseroles would require four or five hours cooking; oxtails certainly would - and could do with seven or eight hours - as do beef cheeks, and anything that resembles chilli con carne.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Most beef casseroles would require four or five hours cooking; oxtails certainly would - and could do with seven or eight hours - as do beef cheeks, and anything that resembles chilli con carne.
I thought chorizo was being discussed, but maybe in error. The one thing I cook for that long is a roast, but it’s in the slow cooker, 4,6, or 8 hours.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Last night was a pure comfort food dinner. Chicken breast cubes sauteed with lots of garlic and then simmered in creamy mushroom soup (Progresso, as it contains no wheat) and served over rice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Do you make your ciabatta or does it come from a bakery?

No, while I am a pretty good (actually, very good) chef, or cook, I'm no baker.

That requires precision, patience, and an unrelenting firm focus and attention to detail; for baking is very unforgiving of errors, lapses in concentration, or mistakes.

The ciabatta comes from the French bakery (French owned, French run, French staffed) in the city.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesMike
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.