Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Looks gorgeous.

What ingredients comprise the French dip?
Left over sous vide top round shaved thin (similar to prime rib),, French Fougasse bread slathered with Kerry gold Irish butter.

Then added left over thick au jus dipping sauce, heated up. Made from the juices left over from the sous vide bad, plus, some beef bone broth I had.

Whole sandwich toasted, and then dunked in au jus for every bite.

It's a less is more sandwich. They often sell them with cheese, or even sauteed onions on there. I prefer good quality meat, good quality bread, and good quality au jus.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Left over sous vide top round shaved thin (similar to prime rib),, French Fougasse bread slathered with Kerry gold Irish butter.

Then added left over thick au jus dipping sauce, heated up. Made from the juices left over from the sous vide bad, plus, some beef bone broth I had.

Whole sandwich toasted, and then dunked in au jus for every bite.

It's a less is more sandwich. They often sell them with cheese, or even sauteed onions on there. I prefer good quality meat, good quality bread, and good quality au jus.

Sounds delicious, and thank you for sharing the details of that stock/French dip.

Mind you, I would not say no to sautéed onions on such a dish.

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
10 hour sous vide, Local, grass finished top round, with homemade au jus. Twice cooked rosemary potatoes, Sauteed baby spinach, beet salad, and Velveeta Mac and cheese from the box.

For desert we made a simple shortbread base, with homemade bitter Myer lemon curd from our tree.
Looks so good, nice menu too!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Reading rice recipes and am currently debating between preparing some take on west African jollof rice, - a cousin of my mother's who had spent years in Sierra Leone used to prepare a simplified version of this recipe - or an Indian recipe (mildly spiced) of rice and lentils.

Last edited:
Reactions: LizKat

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Preparations for dinner are taking place: Ginger, (two small thumbs), has been grated, garlic (around high cloves), has been minced, and shallots have been finely chopped.

Basmati rice has been soaking in water, as have Puy lentils; peas await their turn in a cup, as do sultanas.

Spices (numeric, curry, ground cumin, cloves and ground coriander) are ready to hand, as are the standard seasonings of sea salt, black pepper, and organic sugar.

Vegetable stock shall be added, in due course.

Actual cooking shall commence presently.

Last edited:
Reactions: LizKat

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Made a bean soup yesterday, white beans (dried then soaked for 12 hours) , cabbage, carrots, onion, garlic, some leftover powdered instant ramen stock I had forgot to put in one time, and a bunch of spices. Tried a bit to check but will reheat and have it tonight.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Preparations for dinner are taking place: Ginger, (two small thumbs), has been grated, garlic (around high cloves), has been minced, and shallots have been finely chopped.

Basmati rice has been soaking in water, as have Puy lentils; peas await their turn in a cup, as do sultanas.

Spices (numeric, curry, ground cumin, cloves and ground coriander) are ready to hand, as are the standard seasonings of sea salt, black pepper, and organic sugar.

Vegetable stock shall be added, in due course.

Actual cooking shall commence presently.

Everything has been done, and the rice (lentil, and pea) dish is gently cooking in its stock.

The finely chopped onion was sautéed first, after which I added the minced garlic and grated ginger; then, the spices were added and sautéed, briefly, after which the rice and lentils were added, sautéed for a few minutes, whereupon the stock, sultanas, and cloves were added.

Finally, the peas.

The aroma is quite lovely.

Last edited:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Sounds very tasty, do enjoy.
So it was, leaving the soup for a day is a good idea. I am surprised at how quick the pre-preparation was. Took a while to cook, and certainly with dried legumes you need time to soak them, but a good sharp knife and some simple ingredients goes a long way, especially as I have been super busy lately and tempted to buy ready made dishes or eat out.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
So it was, leaving the soup for a day is a good idea. I am surprised at how quick the pre-preparation was. Took a while to cook, and certainly with dried legumes you need time to soak them, but a good sharp knife and some simple ingredients goes a long way, especially as I have been super busy lately and tempted to buy ready made dishes or eat out.

Likewise, for my meal yesterday, in that I was surprised at how quickly I was able to get things underway. (Mind you, I had done the chopping, dicing, mincing and slicing earlier to save me time when I actually started to cook the meal).

But, agreed: Sometimes, store cupboard staples can work very well, along wth a few vegetables.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Last night was baked bone in chicken breasts (lemon pepper) with buttered rainbow carrots and boiled baby potatoes with baked on French Raclette cheese, (smelled like French feet but really tasted good!).

Tonight is beef stew with buttermilk cornbread.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Tonite we are going to try this pasta recipe from the NYT cooking, Creamy Turmeric Pasta. I also have some de-boned chicken thighs browning in the cast iron which will get deglazed with a wineberry sauce and along with the stock get made into a gravy. The stock is a quick broth/stock made with the thigh bones and a bay leaf, chopped romaine salad with tomatoes is planned for the greens of the meal.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Used the instant pot to make some fall off the bone short ribs, deglazed in bourbon. Cooked some portebello mushrooms in the gravy as it reduced.

Served over crispy potatoes.
9daf8007483bc777f3a9e276a0bc00f1.jpg
c41c0bf938413c811f0e998aa5398492.jpg

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
My first pizza, using sourdough. Okay, technically it's my second attempt because I burnt the first one. It was very good.

Attachments

• IMG_20191212_175114.jpg
    IMG_20191212_175114.jpg
    643.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20191212_181932.jpg
    IMG_20191212_181932.jpg
    712.5 KB · Views: 80

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
What will comprise the beef stew?
Stewing beef of various cuts (my store sells specific trimmings for stew), rainbow carrots, multi-coloured potatoes, celery, mushrooms, onion and copious amounts of garlic. All simmered in beef stock fortified with beef base. Cooked to perfection in my pressure cooker and thickened with corn starch afterwards. All in all, it was quite good and even better today, when I had some for lunch.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Stewing beef of various cuts (my store sells specific trimmings for stew), rainbow carrots, multi-coloured potatoes, celery, mushrooms, onion and copious amounts of garlic. All simmered in beef stock fortified with beef base. Cooked to perfection in my pressure cooker and thickened with corn starch afterwards. All in all, it was quite good and even better today, when I had some for lunch.

Thank you.

I like the description of "copious amounts of garlic"; that meets with my complete approval, as my own unit of accounting for garlic is " ahead, or half a head" rather than a clove or two.

And, yes, agreed; Casseroles, or stews are almost always better on the second day when the respective flavours have had the time to marry, meld, merge and mix....

Reactions: stylinexpat

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Thank you.

I like the description of "copious amounts of garlic"; that meets with my complete approval, as my own unit of accounting for garlic is " ahead, or half a head" rather than a clove or two.

And, yes, agreed; Casseroles, or stews are almost always better on the second day when the respective flavours have had the time to marry, meld, merge and mix....
I agree, second or 3rd day is better

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
My first pizza, using sourdough. Okay, technically it's my second attempt because I burnt the first one. It was very good.
Looks perfect, now I need pizza.
[automerge]1576243488[/automerge]
Used the instant pot to make some fall off the bone short ribs, deglazed in bourbon. Cooked some portebello mushrooms in the gravy as it reduced.

Served over crispy potatoes.
You sure make some great looking food in your instant pot, now I need some short ribs for dinner.
Maybe short rib pizza, haha.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
We're doing a meat/cheese type thing tonight, some good uncured meats from Boar's Head (salomi, chorizo), cheeses (a beer cheddar, a Red Leicester), stuffed olives (blue cheese), a couple of hummus, this _incredible_ white cheddar, jalapeno, pimento cheese, Marconi Red sweet peppers. Also, scored some Sierra Nevada Celebration IPA :)

Reactions: Huntn and anika200

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We're doing a meat/cheese type thing tonight, some good uncured meats from Boar's Head (salomi, chorizo), cheeses (a beer cheddar, a Red Leicester), stuffed olives (blue cheese), a couple of hummus, this _incredible_ white cheddar, jalapeno, pimento cheese, Marconi Red sweet peppers. Also, scored some Sierra Nevada Celebration IPA :)
Where do you buy your Boar’s Head (brand) at? Our local Kroger’s has it, but I usually buy the Kroger Private Selection brand, preferring their Black Forest Ham. And I did not realize Boars Head sold chorizo. How do you prepare the chorizo?
[automerge]1576332291[/automerge]
pizza and beer
Love pizza and beer, but usually eat pizza with Diet Pepsi. :)
[automerge]1576332558[/automerge]
Looks good, but I’d leave the olives off.;) Have you tried the cauliflower crust pizza at Costco? They sell a cheese pizza (packs of 2) that we add toppings too. The crust is delicious.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.