Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Yeah I think he just meant that if you're making gravy for 10 or 40, there's still going to be a pot that had gravy made in it... somehow he was telling himself up front that a quarter of the guests is a quarter of everything. LOL and he's a guy who used to manage restaurants. The things we tell ourselves when we think we need shelter from reality...
The best gravy is one that's rich which uses butter and cream in addition to juice and drippings and little flour. Specifically one you can keep warm somehow.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Mass-produced homemade pesto and chimichurri from our huge basil bush. Jarred them up for Xmas presents around the office.

Took some time out to eat some of our own supply with roasted potatoes, pita bread, and a big salad.

Can't wait to eat it with some steak.
505de4c70dbc69af1562c592e05e33c0.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Mass-produced homemade pesto and chimichurri from our huge basil bush. Jarred them up for Xmas presents around the office.

Took some time out to eat some of our own supply with roasted potatoes, pita bread, and a big salad.

Can't wait to eat it with some steak.
505de4c70dbc69af1562c592e05e33c0.jpg

Homemade pesto rocks any time of the year, winter or summer.

Looks delicious; do enjoy.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Stir fried noodles with vegetables which the carer and her friend dropped in to me. (A welcome surprise, and one which I hadn't expected).

What a very nice gesture for the season. She must seem practically like family after the so much time of knowing her.

Something like that meal but probably not quite as nice is going to be my option for today later, but by my own hand, and I mean to ready its makings right before I depart the kitchen after my prep for contributions to a dinner elsewhere tomorrow. Otherwise when I get hungry later tonight, I'm likely just to raid the camp-food stash for a can of beans!

Anyway I've been organizing my share of the meal (the makings of pan stuffing,and some sweet potatoes) for a local get-together tomorrow, and by time I get done with that, I'm going to find very appealing something much more like a simple stir fry for supper. An onion, a pepper, a bit of my remaining garlic on hand at the moment, plus whatever else comes to hand when I'm reaching for some pasta I've already cooked and stored in the fridge...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
What a very nice gesture for the season. She must seem practically like family after the so much time of knowing her.

Something like that meal but probably not quite as nice is going to be my option for today later, but by my own hand, and I mean to ready its makings right before I depart the kitchen after my prep for contributions to a dinner elsewhere tomorrow. Otherwise when I get hungry later tonight, I'm likely just to raid the camp-food stash for a can of beans!

Anyway I've been organizing my share of the meal (the makings of pan stuffing,and some sweet potatoes) for a local get-together tomorrow, and by time I get done with that, I'm going to find very appealing something much more like a simple stir fry for supper. An onion, a pepper, a bit of my remaining garlic on hand at the moment, plus whatever else comes to hand when I'm reaching for some pasta I've already cooked and stored in the fridge...

She is like family; at my mother's funeral, she shared our pew, and sat at our table for the funeral dinner. Likewise, during the eulogy I delivered at my mother's funeral, I thanked her by name from the altar.

Even now, her room here still has a lot of her stuff in it, should her current job not work out.

She looked after my mother superbly - with care, love, competence, much laughter, hugs, affection, and concern - for six years. That is no small thing, and not something that I shall easily forget.

Yesterday, she also dropped in a box of crisps (chips to Our Transatlantic Cousins) as a special gift to me as she knows I love to snack on a packet or two while sipping on a glass of wine or beer.

Last edited:
Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
She is like family; at my mother's funeral, she shared our pew, and sat at our table for the funeral dinner. Likewise, during the eulogy I delivered at my mother's funeral, I thanked her by name from the altar.

Even now, her room here still has a lot of her stuff in it, should her current job not work out.

She looked after my mother superbly - with care, love, competence, much laughter, hugs, affection, and concern - for six years. That is no small thing, and not something that I shall easily forget.

Yesterday, she also dropped in a box of crisps (chips to Our Transatlantic Cousins) as a special gift to me as she knows I love to snack on a packet or two while sipping on a glass of wine or beer.

That's how it was with the carers at my grandparent's house, as they had elderly great-aunts and cousins (and eventually my mother) come to live with them as time went on and they proved unable to maintain independent living. Some carers worked just a night or day shift and lived elsewhere, but a few lived in for awhile. To this day I can remember one of them crying on the day one of my great great aunts passed away.

The carers were usually hired as my grandparents prepared to welcome kin to a relocated life, and they were often only really needed part time at first. That gave everyone time to see how things would work out. They'd also lend a hand in the kitchen when we kids were underfoot on vacations and holidays. We were told to address them all as "Mrs. Lastname" but one woman ended up referred to as "Biscuits" amongst us (and maybe to her face, I can't quite remember) over her appealing way with the dumplings, pancakes, biscuits and cakes that landed on our table.

Among those carers who also shone in the kitchen in a pinch, and the regular kitchen helpers my grandmother had in her later years, an entire collection of delicacies was bound to end up in our memories. Even now my siblings and I will sometimes phone round to ask if one or another of us has "the recipe for Mrs. Brown's pork chops" or "Harrison's apple cake"...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
She had discreetly absented herself when my mother was actually dying, to leave us with some privacy, but we wanted her and wished to join us at the end; she had been there, caring for my mother in the most intimate of ways for six years - and, to my mind, you can't exclude someone who has done that at the very end.

Her place was with us for the funeral, and we insisted that she sit with us, accompany us to the cemetery, and join us for the dinner, and for the 'viewing' and removal a day earlier.

And she and her friends taught me how to use a rice cooker properly.

Now, tomorrow I shall serve (and cook) the absolute antithesis of a "classical" Christmas dinner; actually, I have in mind to prepare a sort of paella with monkfish and chorizo.

Last edited:
Reactions: LizKat

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Today's dinner will be a complete departure from tradition, recalling sunshine, for my brother (Decent Brother on these threads) and myself.

It will be a sort of monkfish and chorizo paella, (with saffron, pimentón, dissolved anchovies, shallots and garlic, sweet, smoked red peppers, Italian tomatoes, stock, and paella Bomba rice), which shall be served with Spanish white wine, and Chilean red wine, a salad, and - for afters - an amply stocked cheeseboard.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Had some Popeyes. It was pretty hecking good. Would've gone for the more traditional KFC, but Popeyes is about 40 miles closer than the nearest KFC, so Popeyes it was!
Yes! You made the correct choice! Popeye's is a lot better than KFC, these days. Better chicken and better sides! And don't even get me started on that chicken sandwich of theirs! It blows everyone else's out of the water! Darn! Now I want some Popeye's! I'll just have to make do with the Shwarma baked chicken I've got in the oven!
[automerge]1577319886[/automerge]
Lol! Just six with Spanish charred octopus (background) and lobster bisque for appetizers...swordfish entree. I’m home semiregretting it all. ?
l-22572-i-regret-nothing-nothing.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: D.T. and Gutwrench

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Prime tri tip with chimichurri. Pecan pie and homemade lemon curd squares.

We also had pheasant but the pictures ended up on my GFs pixel
8ea1337c517e5ec2207bbe1fd8d045d1.jpg
9eb9964cf35fc90b2dbebeda7d1b5875.jpg

• Love
Reactions: anika200

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
No pictures, but last night we had a beef roast with gravy, string beans, mixed vegetables, baby potatoes, and ravioli. For dessert we had a Yule log cake and cannoli chips from a place called Fleetwood Pastry Shop, I highly recommend it for anyone that lives in the Westchester/Mount Vernon/Yonkers area.
[automerge]1577416490[/automerge]
Had some Popeyes. It was pretty hecking good. Would've gone for the more traditional KFC, but Popeyes is about 40 miles closer than the nearest KFC, so Popeyes it was!
I’ve never tried Popeyes, but I hear their chicken sandwich is good. They’re opening one near us soon, I’ll try it out at some point.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Monkfish is one of my favorites and chorizo too, yum.

I sautéed chopped anchovies in olive oil to start the dish, and give a nice umami flavour to what was to become the sauce.

The next step was to sauté the monkfish, which had been chopped into large pieces, and season it on both sides with pimentón - sweet, smoked, Spanish paprika, whereupon I removed the monks dish and set it aside in a dish.

Then, diced shallots and minced garlic (the best part of a head) are added to the pan, and another splash of olive oil.

After that, I added chopped chorizo, and, once that had sautéed a bit, I added a tin of Italian tomatoes (San Marenzo), chopped, which I had seasons with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Next up, around a dessertspoon of pimentón, Spanish sweet, smoked paprika, which was sautéed, as well.

Then, saffron strands in a little water were added, as was the stock, and more pimentón.

That was when I added the rice - Spanish Bomba rice.

After the rice had drunk much of the stock, I added sweet Spanish pepper (pequillos), and finally, retuned the monkfish to the pan, pressing it down into the rice.

Once the rice was ready, the dish was covered for around five minutes, then served with a side salad and a bottle of Spanish wine.

Reactions: anika200

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
I’ve never tried Popeyes, but I hear their chicken sandwich is good. They’re opening one near us soon, I’ll try it out at some point.
They have the best chicken sandwich on the fast food market! Chik Fil A doesn't even hold a candle to it!
[automerge]1577467450[/automerge]
Last nights dinner was a Shepherd's Pie made with leftover diced rib roast, mushrooms, onions and peas and carrots. All in a very thymey beef gravy and topped with butter and cream laden mashed potatoes. My wife declared that she liked this better than the usual version. Me, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.