Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
A PowerBook G4 from Late 2003. Been my secondary laptop for almost 7 years, and before that, my friend used it since he got it brand new in 2003. Used it as my main computer from 2013-2015 for video editing (240p baby!) and school work. Now I use it as a web browsing machine when I want to use an old Apple product and more often when my current 2015 15" is rendering and I need another computer to use.

I doubt a g4 '03 laptop can browse the web. I bet a lot of websites don't function

An iPad 2 and a 2007 iMac, both still going strong.

can he ipad 2 browse the web?

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
iPod Shuffle, 1st generation, 1 gig.

I had one of those. But I seriously recalled it only having 40 megabytes instead of a gigabyte. It was enough for that time to fit 10-15 low-quality MP3 files onto it that I got from BearShare though!

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Still got my 1st gen ipod touch running, its jailbroken (since 2012) though.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
Just for fun, name the Apple product that lasted you longest. Give the name of the product and how many years it has been working for you. If you can add a picture of it.

Rules:
1-It should be in constant use, not forgotten for 5 years and fired up again for use.
2-Its ok to make it last with replaceable parts like ram, batteries, and hard-drives but going into extreme measures where most the device is not its original parts can't be included.(ex..Mac Pro with a replaced HDD, Motherboard, CPU, Power Supply, fans...etc, you get the idea)
I am the proud owner of the FIRST iPOD TOUCH loaded with good music,works like a charm

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
my stepfather has a iPod touch 3G, with iOS 6. He has never actually gotten past the setup screen. (he gave up on it after being so used to newer iOS that not only will iTunes in its current version refuse to touch it with a 10-foot pole, but he doesn't even know how to use the damn thing!)

I really begged him to either sell it to me or give it to me, given how much I miss iOS 6 (despite moving to older Samsung UI which is far more fitting now...) but he still has it shoved into a drawer. He will never use it sadly, and it's likely the lithium battery will degrade to nothing. It's a crying shame. If you turn it on after spending a day to charge it (yes, it takes that long) it shows the cable and the iTunes icon screen. His HP laptop with whatever version of iTunes it has installed won't touch it, says it's gotta have iOS 7 and up and it's not compatible so it won't progress...Probably some 64-bit thing.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
the first "video" iPod which I think I got in 2005 ... going through my drawer I found an old 30-pin USB cable and thought to give it a try, not only did it turn on, the battery kept the charge!
I also have a 2006 Core MacBook (white) that I plugged in, it has 2GB RAM and a 120GB hard drive, that thing booted up REALLY fast ...

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
Longest I had was my iBook G4. Bought it in 2004. I finally gave it away in 2016 to a charity. They were looking for working computers of any brand to equip a school.
Longest I used was my iMac 2007 Core2Duo Extreme. It served me well for 9 years, and ended up at the local village library. From what I've seen it's still going strong.

brucewayne

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I've used my Late 2010 MacBook Air 11" daily since buying it in October (or November) 2010. In some periods it's even been my work machine (for various reasons). I've been extremely happy with it. Never been serviced, not changed anything.

But, lately it's been showing it's age, even if everything works it just feels too slow, and the "rainbow wheel" has appeared more and more, especially on "rich" web sites, so I've been looking for a replacement the last year or so.

This week I received my (shiny) new 1.4 MacBook Pro 13" to replace the old Air. So this weekend I'll empty out the old machine, wipe it and send it back to Apple and get a token sum from the Apple Trade In scheme. I thought that was a more appropriate retirement for the good ol' Air, than collecting dust somewhere in the attic.

PS! My girlfriend still uses her Late 2008 MBP 15", which also is in full working order (disclaimer: she's had to replace the HDD and battery, both years ago). That one is also starting to be too slow for comfort, and she will probably replace it in the near future.

Wow. Same as me. Used a maxed 2010 Macbook Air 11" (i.e. 4gb RAM 128GB SSD) until last year when I upgraded to a 13" 1.4 Pro (16GB/256GB). My 6 year old has my Air now and it has worked great, even keeping a reasonable charge on the original battery.

The oldest machine I have is a mid 2007 iMac. I've had to disassemble the display twice to clear out dust between the lcd and backlight but other than it being on its 3rd HD (now an SSD) it is all original. It was used hard for about 6-7 years for video encoding before becoming a itunes server before handing it over to the 6 year old. Runs her itunes purchased cartoons in 1080p with no issues. She also has my 1st gen iPad Mini, a 3rd Gen iPad (exclusively for OSMO) and a launch AppleTV 3. Her room looks like a Apple Store circa 2012 lol

Reactions: Mitthrawnuruodo

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Wow. Same as me. Used a maxed 2010 Macbook Air 11" (i.e. 4gb RAM 128GB SSD) until last year when I upgraded to a 13" 1.4 Pro (16GB/256GB). My 6 year old has my Air now and it has worked great, even keeping a reasonable charge on the original battery.
I miss my old Air.

One of the reasons why I might replace my year-old MBP with a shiny, new Apple Silicon MacBook Air (or Pro) when that is released. (I'm sceptical about anything branded _only_ MacBook, after my experience with the original 12" rMB, so it better be an Air - or pro.)

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I use my Apple Extended Keyboard II and Apple Pro Speakers daily.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I hope some folks still enjoying an Apple //e come around soon. I hate to be the only one who remembers the whole Oregon Trail thing.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I used to have quite the classic Apple collection a few years ago. Tons of PowerPC stuff, and an Apple //c, IIgs, and //e with both Disk IIs. Sadly while I had a ton of software, no such luck getting all those MECC games I played in grade school, so no Oregon Trail, no Spell-A-Vator, no Jenny's Journeys or Odell Lake.

I found all those classic Apple devices at Goodwill for $5-10 per. I later sold them for quite a lot more on Ebay, they were all pretty flawless. Kinda regret that now though. I lived in a RV back then so space was an issue.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
It's not the same. I can play the PC version on my Windows 98 machine. There's no replacement for those grinding floppy disk drives on an Apple //e or IIgs. Also those PC speaker sounds.

trash eighty

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2020
UK
My 2012 Macbook Pro has only just been retired as my main machine, replaced by a mac mini. The macbook is still being kept in case i need to use the CD-ROM.

My Mac 512K is still in (kinda) daily use as a stand for my bedside clock :)

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I miss my old Air.

One of the reasons why I might replace my year-old MBP with a shiny, new Apple Silicon MacBook Air (or Pro) when that is released. (I'm sceptical about anything branded _only_ MacBook, after my experience with the original 12" rMB, so it better be an Air - or pro.)

May I ask why you favour the Air over MBP? MBP does everything the same but more capable?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
May I ask why you favour the Air over MBP? MBP does everything the same but more capable?
It was smaller, lighter and - when well spec'ed - actually performed very well (unlike, let's say the rMB).

The MBP I got was the low end one with (2 TB-ports and) the quad-1.4GHz processor, so - performance wise - it's quite similar (though suited for 2020 and not 2010), so capability is not an issue. I even consider the 2019 13" 1.4MBP the true Air successor over that _thing_ that was the 2018 Air with a 5W chip boosted to 7W.

But, even after ~1 year I just cannot get used to that full width Touch Bar. I love Touch ID, but having a non-physical escape key is a hard pass (even more so since the touch one moves based on context), and I also unintentionally touch the rest of the bar occasionally (at least a couple of times a day), making unintended stuff happen, which is annoying. So I'd prefer a machine with out the Touch Bar (like the current Air), or - at least - one with a physical escape key (like the current Pro).

PS! The screen on the MBP is gorgeous, so I might be able to tolerate a machine with touch bar but, physical escape key, for that extra quality screen... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: MSastre

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
It was smaller, lighter and - when well spec'ed - actually performed very well (unlike, let's say the rMB).

The MBP I got was the low end one with (2 TB-ports and) the quad-1.4GHz processor, so - performance wise - it's quite similar (though suited for 2020 and not 2010), so capability is not an issue. I even consider the 2019 13" 1.4MBP the true Air successor over that _thing_ that was the 2018 Air with a 5W chip boosted to 7W.

But, even after ~1 year I just cannot get used to that full width Touch Bar. I love Touch ID, but having a non-physical escape key is a hard pass (even more so since the touch one moves based on context), and I also unintentionally touch the rest of the bar occasionally (at least a couple of times a day), making unintended stuff happen, which is annoying. So I'd prefer a machine with out the Touch Bar (like the current Air), or - at least - one with a physical escape key (like the current Pro).

PS! The screen on the MBP is gorgeous, so I might be able to tolerate a machine with touch bar but, physical escape key, for that extra quality screen... ;)

so your problem is the TB not the MBP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.