Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
The mid-2012 13-inch MacBook Pro which I am typing on right now. I bought it new eight years ago.

From day one, I never used the stock RAM and stock HDD. I replaced the stock RAM with 16GB of Crucial RAM. I replaced the stock HDD with a 1TB HDD, and then replaced that in 2016 with a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD. (I enabled TRIM support on the same day that I installed the SSD.) The fan failed in 2016, and was replaced. The hard drive cable failed in 2019, and was replaced. (That will eventually happen to every hard drive cable for this specific model.) In early 2020, as a preventive measure, the battery was replaced.

As of right now, there are zero problems with this eight-year-old MacBook Pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: geekiemac

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Just retired my good, old Time Capsule, ie. the AirPort Time Capsule 802.11n (4th Gen), that's been working flawlessly for years and years.

Lately though, it's been showing signes of wear and tear: More and more of our wireless devices have been struggling to keep connected to it (some "refusing" to even connect), and once it became clear that it couldn't be _every_ other device that was failing, I had to come up with a replacement.

So I dug up my old Drobo 5n and ordered a new mesh system: A pack of 3 the tp-link Deco M5. Once set up (which was a breeze) "suddenly" all those "failing" devices were more than happy to connect to the new "mesh" network. Added bonus: Better coverage throughout our apartment.

Also, now the (quite noisy) Drobo is hidden away in a (mostly) unused room with one of the Decos, and set up to work as a reserve file server and location for Time Machine backups. Replacing that function from the Time Capsule.

A toast to a faithful old Apple device, and another to a brand, new mesh network. ?

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Just retired my good, old Time Capsule, ie. the AirPort Time Capsule 802.11n (4th Gen), that's been working flawlessly for years and years.

Lately though, it's been showing signes of wear and tear: More and more of our wireless devices have been struggling to keep connected to it (some "refusing" to even connect), and once it became clear that it couldn't be _every_ other device that was failing, I had to come up with a replacement.

So I dug up my old Drobo 5n and ordered a new mesh system: A pack of 3 the tp-link Deco M5. Once set up (which was a breeze) "suddenly" all those "failing" devices were more than happy to connect to the new "mesh" network. Added bonus: Better coverage throughout our apartment.

Also, now the (quite noisy) Drobo is hidden away in a (mostly) unused room with one of the Decos, and set up to work as a reserve file server and location for Time Machine backups. Replacing that function from the Time Capsule.

A toast to a faithful old Apple device, and another to a brand, new mesh network. ?

that was part of the problem for me seeing so many stick with time capsules and airport routers, surely wifi has much advanced to keep those around not to mention security on the firmware. I am also not aware if those Wifi antennas deteriorate over time and give less performance or not like lithium batteries, or do they keep on giving like a copper wire.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
2010 MacBook Pro 15"...

Dying soon. The GPU panic recently came back after a fix by Apple in 2014. Upgraded to 480GB Crucial M500 back in 2015, RAM maxed out at 8GB. Hopefully it'll last me until the Apple Silicon MacBook Pro comes end of the year. Don't intend to buy anymore MacIntels knowing they may not be supported by future macOS four years down the road.

Reactions: AxiomaticRubric

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
I've been using an iPod HiFi every week since I bought it in 2006.

I use it connected to an AirPort Express with a Toslink cable. The latest firmware updates and macOS / iOS updates have enabled properly synchronized audio over Wifi.

I'm no audio expert but I prefer the sound output of the HiFi over the HomePod.

Reactions: ThomasJL

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
that was part of the problem for me seeing so many stick with time capsules and airport routers, surely wifi has much advanced to keep those around not to mention security on the firmware. I am also not aware if those Wifi antennas deteriorate over time and give less performance or not like lithium batteries, or do they keep on giving like a copper wire.
I'm not sure.

The old smaller Airport Expresses used - in my experience - to burn out after a year or so of hard use, and the symptoms were the same: stuff refused to stay connected, speed was varying, etc. until nothing worked anymore.

The Time Capsule followed the same pattern, but lasted much, much longer before starting to fail. (And slower, it didn't fail completely before I replaced it.)

I'm guessing it's some of the hardware inside that slowly dies from years of heat and general wear and tear.

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
After bringing out of storage, reinstalling the OS fresh and applying updates, I gave my trust 11" MBA (mid-2012) to my fiance. That's mainly a backup machine for her though when her 3 year old Asus acts up.

Otherwise, my longest lasting Apple product was my iPhone 6 which I bought at launch (2014) and used until this past fall (2019) when I upgraded to my current iPhone XR. Coming in a distant second is my 27" 5K iMac (a late 2015 model I bought in 2017 and which will hopefully keep running smooth for years to come).

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I'm not sure.

The old smaller Airport Expresses used - in my experience - to burn out after a year or so of hard use, and the symptoms were the same: stuff refused to stay connected, speed was varying, etc. until nothing worked anymore.

The Time Capsule followed the same pattern, but lasted much, much longer before starting to fail. (And slower, it didn't fail completely before I replaced it.)

I'm guessing it's some of the hardware inside that slowly dies from years of heat and general wear and tear.
Likely failing electrolytic capacitors. Electronics these days tend to use lowest-grade components. I bet if one disassembled it you'd find some chinese Capacitors with bulging tops or leaking electrolyte. Been watching too much Shango066 on YouTube lately but you learn things.

Reactions: Mitthrawnuruodo

Bulllfrog

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2022
Gunnedah Nsw
Just for fun, name the Apple product that lasted you longest. Give the name of the product and how many years it has been working for you. If you can add a picture of it.

Rules:
1-It should be in constant use, not forgotten for 5 years and fired up again for use.
2-Its ok to make it last with replaceable parts like ram, batteries, and hard-drives but going into extreme measures where most the device is not its original parts can't be included.(ex..Mac Pro with a replaced HDD, Motherboard, CPU, Power Supply, fans...etc, you get the idea)
I’ve been using my iPhone 11 Pro Max for 3 years, I’ve only dropped it a few times, Still in fantastic condition, Same charge cable, always had the same case and I clean the charging port every now and then gently with a toothpick, it’s my phone I use all day every day no faults. I will only buy a new phone when this one dies. Touch wood it doesn’t any time soon.😀😀😀

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Mid 2011 27 inch iMac still working fine daily, booted from external SSD.

CyberDavis

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2022
My recently replaced iMac, each iMac has served well with long service and I’m sure my Mac Studio will do equally well.
😀👍

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
2009 MacBookPro 13"... went from being used for my wife during Uni, writing her thesis, to regular "general" use as a laptop, to now being a HTPC. So - 11 years...
It's now semi-regular only, but being used by my kids.

Also in the house is my old iPod Nano 2nd Gen, which I got in 2007 and my son now uses regularly.

Not meeting criteria... my 2000 Pismo. I dragged it out of the cupboard a few months ago, and used it regularly for a few weeks playing Escape Velocity. :) But it's idle again now.

And also 2000 - Mac G4 Cube, which I really am going to get going as a sound machine... one day...

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
My mid 2011 Mac Mini. Bough an external SSD, installed a fresh copy of macOS and it’s like a new machine. Turned it into the main desktop for my wife who uses it for occasional web browsing, light word processing and some skyping here and there.

Reactions: loby

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
2010 Macbook Air, retired last year. A combination of SW obsolescence (couldn't log into my bank, or even Wikipedia) and HW (2nd battery ran out after 3 hours, and trackpad would only register a click in the lower RH corner). It also got very hot on some common websites. Got my money's worth out of that one.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I like that my 2013 Apple TV is still chugging along. I continue to use it to mirror my ipad in the classroom every day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.