Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Master and Commander - The Far Side of the World (2003)

An excellent film, in my opinion. Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany were a great pairing of Captain Aubrey and Dr. Maturin.

The action sequences were frankly amazing.

Lots of detail, and for the most part I expect it was accurate in its portrayal of life at sea on a British warship of that time. The HMS Surprise was a small ship, but I didn’t realize just how small until I took a tour of the full scale replica used in the movie, when it was docked in San Diego.

There was one glaringly inaccurate detail of the ship that I hadn’t noticed while watching the movie, but that was pointed out on the tour. It’s a potential spoiler, so I won’t say any more here.

If you haven’t seen this movie, I highly recommend that you do.

Not a bad movie. Russell Crowe is hit & miss for me pending which film we’re talkin. It’s been a long time since I’ve watched this one.

Anyways, regarding your comment about the ‘replica’, Isn’t it amazing the amount of construction/detail entails into these movie sets? And then factor the cost of what an actor like Russell Crowe (Probably north of $15 mill) generates And other supporting cast Members.

I visited a stage-set on a Michael Mann (One of my favorite directors) movie years back, it’s crazy the lengths art directors/stage designers will go to achieve to basically an overhaul for the movie scene to come to life. It can take weeks to build a stage set, and yet only take less than six hours to film a scene.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Master and Commander - The Far Side of the World (2003)

An excellent film, in my opinion. Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany were a great pairing of Captain Aubrey and Dr. Maturin.

The action sequences were frankly amazing.

Lots of detail, and for the most part I expect it was accurate in its portrayal of life at sea on a British warship of that time. The HMS Surprise was a small ship, but I didn’t realize just how small until I took a tour of the full scale replica used in the movie, when it was docked in San Diego.

There was one glaringly inaccurate detail of the ship that I hadn’t noticed while watching the movie, but that was pointed out on the tour. It’s a potential spoiler, so I won’t say any more here.

If you haven’t seen this movie, I highly recommend that you do.

I also thought this was a great movie.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Paul Bettany was excellent in Margin Call... so good at body language, subtle shifts in facial expression. Great at telegraphing a weary sense of déja vu when speaking with younger colleagues about a set of layoffs in their firm: "Don't watch..." he says, as the HR squad and security guards make their entrance to the open plan workspace to start dishing out the bad news. But it was Bettany's body language and brief eye contact with the young financial analysts that was convincing.

And then conversely, showing us with just a passing frown and slight shift of posture a little flash of not humility but "uhhh,,,, wut?" when he's on the verge of discovering something seemingly new under the sun for him --the human emotion of sorrow-- in a moment when his boss confides distress and distraction over the impending loss of his aging dog.

That scene was as if Bettany's character had just seen a cloud pass overhead. OK, check, a cloud... in the sky... check... don't get too far out in those weeds... not with your boss anyway... and anyway,,,, over a dog? ...and so then back to his role as a self-assured head of trading. All in the space of a couple seconds.​

Lot of really good if understated acting in the film, and I remember reading that Bettany had found the experience and comradeship more memorable for the couple weeks it took to shoot that thing than he had found especially remarkable in other films that had taken much longer. Margin Call is one of the films I'm happy I bought rather than rented, still watch it a few times a year. From consulting jobs in Wall Street I had come to know something of that environment as workplace, and of what the film viewers were let in on, the cast got it so right...

Reactions: Matz

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
In the past 3 days I have watched:

Christmas Vacation (x2)
Vegas Vacation
Die Hard
Elf
Jingle All the Way
Santa Claus
Bad Santa (x2)

Try as I may, I am still not in the Christmas Spirit. And, all of these are good.
Love all those. Haven't watched Jingle or Bad Santa yet this season. Bad Santa is on a massively profane level like Grandma's Boy, but they are both so hilarious!

Reactions: bobob

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Judge Dredd (1995)

961B3892-B985-47EA-8E27-4ECFB1C93E5D.jpeg

Reactions: millerj123

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’ve never seen the newer one. Judging (😂) from the trailers I’ve seen, it doesn’t appeal to me to watch it.

Karl Urban was a good in the re-boot. I personally liked it, the gore and violence is what puts that movie on another level. The storyline is pretty linear, but it works for what it is. Stallone as an actor in general is questionable, Rocky Series were great, but I didn’t like his performance in Dredd. [Although the original was in a different time era for movies.]

Reactions: RootBeerMan

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
We are also constantly running Christmas movies, several of them over-and-over, hahaha, our house (mostly the interior) is a Christmas-o-rama! :D

The list:

Christmas Vacation
Elf
A Christmas Story
Scrooged
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
The Night Before
Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Christmas with the Kranks
Office Christmas Party
A Charlie Brown Christmas
Spongebob Christmas
Die Hard
The Polar Express
Daddy's Home 2
Bad Mom's Christmas
Krampus
Love Actually
Bad Santa
Trading Places

Are all of these great movies? Oh, clearly, the answer is no. Are some not __really__ even a "Christmas movie"? Hahaha, probably not. The first three really get the most play, by a good bit - a few we probably only watch once.

We just enjoy being silly with Christmas :D Funny enough, this year, the old school Rankin/Bass did not hold up, even The Year Without a Santa Claus, it's just so ==weird== (we even have miser coffee mugs ...)

Anyway, they're fun, dumb, we've seen them a million times, but we love 'em :p
Surviving Christmas is the most underrated Christmas movie of recent times. It was incorrectly maligned by the critics, perhaps due to its pushed back off-season October 2004 release date. Surviving Christmas is an honest to goodness true Christmas movie and a black comedy - - sweet and hilarious.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Surviving Christmas is the most underrated Christmas movie of recent times. It was incorrectly maligned by the critics, perhaps due to its pushed back off-season October 2004 release date. Surviving Christmas is an honest to goodness true Christmas movie and a black comedy - - sweet and hilarious.

Yes! It sort of just fell off our radar this year (watched it several times in the past), but maybe we'll re-watch it [again] this weekend. Honestly, I'll watch just about anything with Gandolfini :)
[automerge]1577452139[/automerge]
The storyline is pretty linear

Umm, well, yeah, it's not Primer ... :p

@SandboxGeneral Dredd is pretty terrific, it's a real favorite around geek/genre circles, and it definitely got the source material right. It was written by Alex Garland of Ex Machina fame (side note: stoked for his new Hulu series, Devs)

Last edited:

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
I watched FXM’s “A Christmas Carol”, which is either a three hour movie or a three-part miniseries, depending on how they’re showing it.

And boy, is this version dark.

It’s faithful to the time, characters and general outline of the story, but with a modern sensibility. Scrooge is a totally unrepentant ******* who, in this version, has endured much abuse in his past.

Think Charles Dickens by way of Black Mirror. It’s freaking grim — but interesting because of that.

It’s still showing on Hulu.

Reactions: pachyderm and D.T.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
MV5BZDVkZmI0YzAtNzdjYi00ZjhhLWE1ODEtMWMzMWMzNDA0NmQ4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzYzODM3Mzg@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

It. I read the book when it first came out, saw the made for tv movie years ago. I thought this was a decent version, but of course not exactly true to the book. I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to part II or not.

Reactions: hawkeye_a

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Good Boys(2019)
Really wanted to like this one, but the humor seemed really “forced”. It has some funny bits, and a good moral to the story, but it just didnt come together well.
Good_Boys_Movie_Poster.jpg

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Her(2013)
Great film. Technically top notch... camera work, cinematography, script, directing, acting, score, pacing, special effects. And I especially liked how the special effects complimented the storytelling without overpowering it.

It’s a slow burn which almost feels like a monologue and could have turned into a really creepy futuristic sci-fi movie about AI.

Her2013Poster.jpg

Joaquin Phoenix has done some outstanding work this decade; The Master(2012), Inherent Vice(2014), Her(2013), Joker(2019).

Happy New Year folks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mefisto

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I'm already bracing myself for sadness. This is it until 2021. That's a long time. With Endgame being the last Avengers movie for awhile, 2020 is going to be LONG. :(
As mentioned, Black Widow would like a word with you on May 1st, 2020.😘

Also Disney+ Live action Marvel shows start with The Falcon & The Winter Soldier in the Fall of 2020. 😍

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As mentioned, Black Widow would like a word with you on May 1st, 2020.😘

Also Disney+ Live action Marvel shows start with The Falcon & The Winter Soldier in the Fall of 2020. 😍
I like Scarlett Johansson, but I’ve never been crazy about her portrayal as Black Widow. Fingers crossed this is good.

Reactions: kazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.