Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

||\||

Suspended
Nov 21, 2019
CF7283DE-53EA-4B19-82AC-6C81A68C4CF5.jpeg

Daddy issues: resolved. Suspend disbelief and enjoy the cosmic psycho therapy journey that is Ad Astra. I think it’s well worth your time.

Reactions: D.T.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
~snip~.... Are all of these great movies? Oh, clearly, the answer is no. Are some not __really__ even a "Christmas movie"? Hahaha, probably not. The first three really get the most play, by a good bit - a few we probably only watch once.

We just enjoy being silly with Christmas :D Funny enough, this year, the old school Rankin/Bass did not hold up, even The Year Without a Santa Claus, it's just so ==weird== (we even have miser coffee mugs ...)

Anyway, they're fun, dumb, we've seen them a million times, but we love 'em :p

I've enjoyed some of those, had some of them more or less imposed on me... and unfortunately may always remember the fairly entertaining Polar Express as "the creature that ate my laptop."

Of course it didn't actually eat my laptop but one of my kin managed to marry a DVD of that film to the machine's optical drive, in a manner that the tech who replaced it noted admiringly, "I hadn't realized one could even do that to one of these drive assemblies with just a DVD..." ⛄

• Haha
Reactions: D.T.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Jason Bourne [2016]
5679081A-C2FE-4372-8FA1-3E7B2D3B4BC5.jpeg

The 2016 reboot version was my favorite of the Bourne Series. Directed by Paul Greengrass (Damon wouldn’t sign on unless Greengrass was directing it).

As much as Damon alway performs, Alicia Vikander was what made this film from beginning to end. She’s not in to many movies, but I thought she killed it with her poise and it’s nice to see a lead female role, what seems to be male-dominated era in ‘action movies’.

Anyways, it’s rare to find a Series as good as the Bourne Films, it’s not just about the acting, but the story line that was built strategically into everyone of them.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Not a great film by any stretch but I love it.

1941-vintage-movie-poster-original-1-sheet-27x41-686.jpg

CRAP!!

I bought this from iTunes, I own the dvd but didn't have it handy, and they've edited out a couple of scenes!

Last edited:
Reactions: RootBeerMan

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Watched a couple of sci-fi -flicks last night. Both were first time views.

Grant Sputore: I Am Mother (2019)

Alex Garland: Ex Machina (2014)

Never been much of a sci-fi -buff, but these were both very enjoyable. The one the "spoke to me more" of the two would clearly be Ex Machina, but since both films seem to still stir up thoughts in my head no time was wasted in watching either one.

Need to get Ex Machina for the collection, since that's a film I'll be rewatching when the times comes. The whole thing could have almost been a Black Mirror episode, but I guess the (great) casting of Domhnall Gleeson might have helped with that. Superb stuff.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
B1F598E7-4E1E-4187-A592-818BBA14E92B.jpeg

***No Spoilers***

I liked it. Great ending for the series. Daisy Ridley does a really nice job, and again (As mentioned above), Nice to see a lead female role versus being a male-dominated aspect in terms of action/sci-fi films.

Personally, I would rank ‘The Force awakens’ as my favorite out of the three, the second one was lackluster, but with J.J. Abrams back on board for the third installment, it delivered on many levels.

Reactions: pachyderm

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Rewatched Kill Bill Vol. 1 last night. Tarantino is a genius.

I semi-recently watched Vol 1 and 2 back to back, and totally agree, a real film auteur. FYI, QT was on Reel Blend an episode ago - he's been on the podcast before - but they got to do a really deep dive with him, really interesting to hear him talk about his love for film, etc., highly recommended:

I've been ordered to watch Inception this weekend by a friend.

It's excellent, you have to watch in the moment, as Nolan doesn't spend a ton of time on exposition (except for one "this is how this works" new team member as the audience avatar). It's got one of the most stunning, what I'd call, "compound scenes" ever films towards the end. It's got some pretty grand concepts, powerful metaphor, awesome cast, stunning visualizations, very highly recommended. :)

Because Deborah Foreman's line about a "six inch spike", and Val Kilmer's look makes it all worth it.

Yeah, this was a favorite of mine growing up, one of the early "nerds will inherit the earth" movies :D We adopted referring to some people (developers mostly) as Lazlos, super intelligent / baffled by simple tasks.

The 2016 reboot version was my favorite of the Bourne Series.

It's not actually a reboot, it's the 5th in the series (the 4th in the Jason sequence, it follows up directly on the 3rd movie).

Reactions: pachyderm and Huntn

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
10,000 BC - 2008 - Love it ?

"Epic action-adventure film directed by Roland Emmerich, starring Steven Strait and Camilla Belle. The film is set in the prehistoric era and depicts the journeys of a prehistoric tribe of mammoth hunters"

10000-bc.jpg

Reactions: bobob and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970)

View attachment 884561
The original was the best. I’ve told this story a couple of times, when I was 15, a friend and I were given the choice to see Planet of the Apes or Gone with the Wind. You know what we picked. :)
[automerge]1577230510[/automerge]
Yeah I've heard it is ****.

I've been ordered to watch Inception this weekend by a friend.
[automerge]1577025868[/automerge]

uuhhh...

Which film is that?
I really like Inception except for the teaser ending. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)- Indiana Jones still had his vibe for the second installment of this franchise. I like the dance number and Shanghai sequence in the beginning. The Shanghai chase scene was filmed in Macau.

2A9BBD23-97EA-406E-A288-CF55E15D8A89.jpeg

4F67BD70-95F8-4BD8-9F79-DABA613ECDED.png
Back when Harrison Ford was not an old dude
For their second Indy movie, Spielberg and Lucas wanted to one-up the creepy-crawly Raiders scene with 10,000 snakes, and they did it with bugs. Lots of bugs. For the scene where the trio stumbles upon a cavern filled with countless insects on the way to the Temple of Doom, the production assembled 50,000 cockroaches and 30,000 beetles from nearby London bug farms.

Capshaw was so freaked out about her scene with the creepy crawlies that she admitted to taking a Valium beforehand just to calm down. To producer Frank Marshall, the bugs were more challenging than the snakes from the first movie. “You can arrange a pile of snakes. That's impossible with bugs," he said. "People were also much more scared of the insects. Every once in a while you'd hear this shriek when the bugs found their way on to the tap-dance rehearsal stage—a bad place for any bug to be.”

7B8C3D4F-8F93-4051-96BE-30D8D7C09510.jpeg

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

ProTruckDriver

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2016
Virginia
Riley North awakens from a coma after surviving a brutal attack that killed her husband and daughter. When the system shields the murderers from justice, Riley sets out to transform herself from citizen to urban guerrilla. Channeling frustration into motivation, the young widow spends years in hiding -- honing her mind, body and spirit to become an unstoppable force. Eluding the underworld, the police and the FBI, Riley embarks on a deadly quest to deliver her own personal brand of punishment.

Pepermint.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.