Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
There are movies directed by Michael Bay that I like, Armageddon, The Island, the first couple of Transformers, the Jack Ryan Series on Netflix.

FYI, Bay didn't direct/write/create the Jack Ryan series, most of the creative direction is from Carlton Cuse (Lost, the criminally underappreciated Bates Motel, etc.) Bay was only an executive producer along with like 15 other people including Cuse and star John Krasinski. Many of the 2nd season EPs were directed by Phil Abraham who is just fantastic, worked on the Sopranos.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
FYI, Bay didn't direct/write/create the Jack Ryan series, most of the creative direction is from Carlton Cuse (Lost, the criminally underappreciated Bates Motel, etc.) Bay was only an executive producer along with like 15 other people including Cuse and star John Krasinski. Many of the 2nd season EPs were directed by Phil Abraham who is just fantastic, worked on the Sopranos.
I misread his credentials, he was/is a producer on Jack Ryan.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I was just astounded you didn't like any of those films (ownership wasn't necessary, I don't even own all of those). I mean, they're such a cross section of genres, most are universally acknowledged as fantastic.

Yeah, nothing personal at all, as a film buff, just bewildered. o_O
[automerge]1576496274[/automerge]

Yeah, I saw on AVC is was like a C/C- (RT 34%), looks like "generic action film", it's been 20 years since Bay made the original Bad Boys and The Rock, his Bayformer movies are trainwrecks (box office not withstanding ...), not surprised this is another loud, pointless Baysplosion movie :D

Don't get me wrong, I like me some blow-em-up sometimes, but there still has to be something else (he was close with Pain and Gain).

Transformers- IMO the first two Transformer movies are very entertaining action films. I like the characters including the personalities of the transformers. Technically, watching them transform are impressive moments. If I have a critique to direct at them, it’s that when there are Transformer fights, it’s large, fast, fills the screen and sometimes (often?) is hard to keep track of what you are watching. :)

Reactions: Saltation

Saltation

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2019
Well I just finished Ralph Breaks the Internet. I really loved Wreck-it-Ralph, so it's weird I took so long to watch the sequel! But it was rather disappointing... The first movie was quite emotional I thought but the second one looked more like a "hey let's see how many references to Instagram and Pinterest can we stuff in 1 movie" kind of movie!

||\||

Suspended
Nov 21, 2019
1576536097426.jpeg

The Fanatic was fantastically bad. A Battlefield Earth-level performance from John Travolta. Apparently Fred Durst has a child who is on the spectrum, which makes this film all the more mind-boggling, comical, and sad.

Reactions: pachyderm and Huntn

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Smokin Aces [2007]
9A40CD1F-F910-4EBA-A1FF-2EC1543C2478.jpeg

I’m a fan of Ryan Reynolds, some of his movies are an extreme hit/Miss, but this is one of his more ‘serious roles’ that he handles very well. Also includes one of my favorite all-time actors with Ray Liotta, both him and Reynolds play two FBI agents who are attempting to apprehend an FBI informant, Buddy Israel, (Jeremy Piven) before he is assassinated by a contract through a slew of hitmen.

The Storyline moves pretty quick in this film, but it’s got a really unique sense of editing how they splice all the characters/scenes together. It’s funny/witty and has some really heated scenes. I think it went under the radar quite a bit, but it does have a fairly large cast (Andy Garcia, Ben Affleck, Jason Batman, Chris pine, Common).

Reactions: RootBeerMan

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Smokin Aces [2007]
View attachment 883224

I’m a fan of Ryan Reynolds, some of his movies are an extreme hit/Miss, but this is one of his more ‘serious roles’ that he handles very well. Also includes one of my favorite all-time actors with Ray Liotta, both him and Reynolds play two FBI agents who are attempting to apprehend an FBI informant, Buddy Israel, (Jeremy Piven) before he is assassinated by a contract through a slew of hitmen.

The Storyline moves pretty quick in this film, but it’s got a really unique sense of editing how they splice all the characters/scenes together. It’s funny/witty and has some really heated scenes. I think it went under the radar quite a bit, but it does have a fairly large cast (Andy Garcia, Ben Affleck, Jason Batman, Chris pine, Common).
Ryan Reynolds strikes me as having a screen presence, but I’ve only seen him in one movie I really like, X-Men Origins: Wolverine as Wade Wilson.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
My parents took me to see that at the cinema! Probably only seen it a couple of times since!

Had you see it in a while? For a Disney flick, it's pretty disturbing - and that ending, hahaha, wow, what the hell ... !
Yeah, I watch it every once in a while. I remember seeing it on TV as a kid in the 80's and I've always liked it. So I bought it on iTunes years ago and re-watch it on occassion.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Ryan Reynolds strikes me as having a screen presence, but I’ve only seen him in one movie I really like, X-Men Origins: Wolverine as Wade Wilson.

Ryan Reynolds is just about everywhere both marketing and film, especially now with his new ‘Aviation gin’ that he promotes and his YouTube channel. But in terms of being an actor, he kind a has a unique quirk to him when it comes to his snarky replies, but I actually really like him in his serious roles v.s. his comedic roles personally.

Take a look at Smokin Aces, he’s really good in this movie.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ryan Reynolds is just about everywhere both marketing and film, especially now with his new ‘Aviation gin’ that he promotes and his YouTube channel. But in terms of being an actor, he kind a has a unique quirk to him when it comes to his snarky replies, but I actually really like him in his serious roles v.s. his comedic roles personally.

Take a look at Smokin Aces, he’s really good in this movie.
I saw it long ago, but don’t remember much about it, other than it did not impress me for some reason. Maybe a second viewing is in order.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I saw it long ago, but don’t remember much about it, other than it did not impress me for some reason. Maybe a second viewing is in order.

It’s not for everyone. It’s a pretty radical movie, literally from the get-go, you have to pay close attention to all the details, I think that throws some viewers off, because they’re confused initially what’s transpiring, Plus, the plot is following multiple storylines through different characters in the movie, which is why I meant it was unique how the director spliced them all together, but it’s a clever direction how everything correlates together.

[Oh, They made a second version of Smokin Aces in 2010, avoid that one at all costs....., the version I’m referencing was made in 2007.]

Reactions: Huntn

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Maybe a second viewing is in order.

Nah, I wouldn't, it's a pretty mediocre action flick, with a lot of rapid fire vapid dialog that desperately wants to be a QT film - some "dark action comedy" attempts, a few bits are pretty funny, and some of the action set pieces are decently staged.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Nah, I wouldn't, it's a pretty mediocre action flick, with a lot of rapid fire vapid dialog that desperately wants to be a QT film - some "dark action comedy" attempts, a few bits are pretty funny, and some of the action set pieces are decently staged.
Speaking of vapid, attempts at humor during life and death situations, I gave 6 Underground a second chance, and most of the “humorous” bickering that goes on between the characters during the first car chase is just not funny. And because of ginormous crashes at every turn, I shut it down soon after that. Just too much. I much prefer the car chase in Knight and Day, and that was real tongue in cheek. In fact I prefer just about everything in that movie and it is similar in character, just better. I know, you hate that one too. ;)
  • Woman with a Baby!
  • Little dog!
  • Pedestrian bounces off hood and over car. I definitely had the right of way!
  • Gross, she squirted! (Blood)
[automerge]1576614363[/automerge]
Jack Ryan is on Amazon Prime, not Netflix
Fixed.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Knight and Day, and that was real tongue in cheek. In fact I prefer just about everything in that movie and it is similar in character, just better. I know, you hate that one too. ;)

I have a little soft spot for it, because my wife looks like Cameron Diaz (and acts - well dances - like her in Charlie's Angels, hahaha ...) :D

Yeah, 6 Underground I don't have a ton of interest in - have you seen Upgrade? It's from Leigh Whannell of Saw/Insidious fame - really clever little SciFi action film. Basically a guy gets an tech implant (er, don't want to spoil too much), and becomes hell-on-wheels while he's sorting out a criminal case. Some crazy camera work, really creative fight choreography, maybe a touch graphic in a couple of spots, but not like lingering gruesomeness.

Also has some smart insight into the world, tech, some good dark satire, the lead is terrific too.

1576618663431.png

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Speaking of vapid, attempts at humor during life and death situations, I gave 6 Underground a second chance, and most of the “humorous” bickering that goes on between the characters during the first car chase is just not funny. And because of ginormous crashes at every turn, I shut it down soon after that. Just too much. I much prefer the car chase in Knight and Day, and that was real tongue in cheek. In fact I prefer just about everything in that movie and it is similar in character, just better. I know, you hate that one too. ;)
  • Woman with a Baby!
  • Little dog!
  • Pedestrian bounces off hood and over car. I definitely had the right of way!
  • Gross, she squirted! (Blood)
[automerge]1576614363[/automerge]

Fixed.
I love Knight and Day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.