Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Ad Astra (2019)

6512121A-6B08-45A9-A0D4-B8C923ECFF7F.jpeg

Reactions: Queen6 and mikzn

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
The Lost Boys(1987)
Seemed like a John Carpenter film(mostly because of the time period) meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I liked the Carpenter vibe, not so much the Buffy vibe.
s-l1000.jpg

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Yes, no, maybe?
Maybe.

It was okay and I guess I was expecting more. The plot ended up being rather thin and not unlike that of the plot of Contact, only Contact had a deeper plot.

The visuals were stunning, the atmosphere was also very good and made you look forward to seeing deeper into the story, but it never really delivered.

I feel like they could have done so much more with this story especially given the big-name actors in it.

It's worth renting if you don't have anything else you're itching to watch. I wouldn't buy it, though I did on iTunes. It's not available to rent until later this week. I had high hopes that the purchase would have been worth it, but I don't feel like it was. In hindsight, I should have waited until I could rent it and saved a few bucks.

Reactions: Huntn

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Maybe.

It was okay and I guess I was expecting more. The plot ended up being rather thin and not unlike that of the plot of Contact, only Contact had a deeper plot.

The visuals were stunning, the atmosphere was also very good and made you look forward to seeing deeper into the story, but it never really delivered.

I feel like they could have done so much more with this story especially given the big-name actors in it.

It's worth renting if you don't have anything else you're itching to watch. I wouldn't buy it, though I did on iTunes. It's not available to rent until later this week. I had high hopes that the purchase would have been worth it, but I don't feel like it was. In hindsight, I should have waited until I could rent it and saved a few bucks.

In my head I'm thinking it was another Interstellar, sounds like it's not nearly as sweeping in plot or as deep in concept(s).

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
It's an excellent commentary on relationships, mostly of the toxic kind (and what Ari Aster was going through). He's doing some great work projecting the difficulties of life into dark, horror ideas.

Ugh. He went through a relationship like that? I felt for Dani so much.

It also says a lot about family, community and how your environment can make or break you.

Midsommar was very done but I have to say it's a movie I want to forget very quickly. I've seen a lot of graphic gore (of the grossest kind care of the Italians etc), but holy cow what was done in this film made it even more unsettling.

Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood (2019), I knew it wouldn't like it, but I tried to erase that anti-Tarantino bias I have going in. I have no problem with movies being overly artificial when it works for the story etc., but this did not work for me. It felt cloyingly fake and way too long. I agree with the folks who took issue with the portrayal of Bruce Lee, even though it's an alternate universe Bruce Lee.

Not to mention following two more damaged (and perhaps psychotic) characters after Midsommar in their unhappy lives: This wasn't the smartest thing for me to do with my movie choices this weekend.

The only character I had fun with Kurt Russell's henpecked stunt coordinator Randy. He was hilarious when Randy had to answer to his wife Janet.

Reactions: Huntn

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
In my head I'm thinking it was another Interstellar, sounds like it's not nearly as sweeping in plot or as deep in concept(s).
Nope, it wasn't as good as Interstellar. In fact, the ambiance of Ad Astra reminded me of Gravity a little bit. Though there were hints of both movies in this one.

If one were to have to choose between Interstellar and Ad Astra, I'd recommend Interstellar hands down.

Reactions: D.T.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
I enjoyed Ad Astra a lot, Interstellar as well. They are two wildly different movies. Interstellar is highly focused and hugely entertaining, in a popcorn blockbuster way.

Ad Astra has a lot of side elements that aren't fleshed out but are simply fascinating. A slight story alteration at the end would have made it a home run for me.

I watched Us last night.

1576426600242.jpeg

Very enjoyable horror film. I don't know how I feel about the third act though.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Maybe.

I’ll stream it and plan on disappointment. :) I’m naturally suspicious of any movie with Brad Pitt in it. He’s become one of those actors whose reputation as an actor over shadows his roles. I also felt that with Robert Redford (starting with The Sting) and to some degree Merrill Streep (Out of Africa ?). I never been drawn to a movie because he is in it. The one movie I own, he is in is Megamind.
[automerge]1576429348[/automerge]
Ugh. He went through a relationship like that? I felt for Dani so much.

It also says a lot about family, community and how your environment can make or break you.

Midsommar was very done but I have to say it's a movie I want to forget very quickly. I've seen a lot of graphic gore (of the grossest kind care of the Italians etc), but holy cow what was done in this film made it even more unsettling.

Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood (2019), I knew it wouldn't like it, but I tried to erase that anti-Tarantino bias I have going in. I have no problem with movies being overly artificial when it works for the story etc., but this did not work for me. It felt cloyingly fake and way too long. I agree with the folks who took issue with the portrayal of Bruce Lee, even though it's an alternate universe Bruce Lee.

Not to mention following two more damaged (and perhaps psychotic) characters after Midsommar in their unhappy lives: This wasn't the smartest thing for me to do with my movie choices this weekend.

The only character I had fun with Kurt Russell's henpecked stunt coordinator Randy. He was hilarious when Randy had to answer to his wife Janet.
My choice for movie of the year. :) Purchased it this weekend, will rewatch at least a couple of more times :D

I’ll stream this. :)

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I’m naturally suspicious of any movie with Brad Pitt in it.

He's so insanely good in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

You know, I wasn't even thinking about it till you said it, but he's in quite a few favorite movies of mine: Moneyball, Inglourious Basterds (QT again), The Big Short, Burn After Reading, True Romance (QT/writer), Seven, 12 Monkeys.

It's interesting you say, "I'll stream this", I assuming you mean, "I'll rent this" or just catch it on an existing service when it's available for "free".

I streamed it too, I just happen to also purchase it :D

Reactions: kazmac

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
We watched "Stardust" last night. It was a really enjoyable movie, based on the Neil Gaiman book of the same name. It had a great cast and De Niro was absolutely great in this! If you want a good family movie, I highly recommend this one!

91qHKdZpK6L._SY606_.jpg

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

You know, I wasn't even thinking about it till you said it, but he's in quite a few favorite movies of mine: Moneyball, Inglourious Basterds (QT again), The Big Short, Burn After Reading, True Romance (QT/writer), Seven, 12 Monkeys.

It's interesting you say, "I'll stream this", I assuming you mean, "I'll rent this" or just catch it on an existing service when it's available for "free".

When Brad stopped taking roles that played primarily on his looks, he delivers on his acting chops. I thought he was very good here, playing someone a bit more real (and dangerous) than the almost goofy officer in Inglorious Basterds. He and Leo had good chemistry, I believed them as best friends and peers. I am not a fan of Leo though, so that was another reason why I didn't like Once Upon a Time... very much. I realize Rick was supposed to be an alcoholic and increasingly lost in his downward spiral, but that scene with his young co-star on Lancer was one of several that took me clean out of the story.

I tried to push this all aside and just enjoy the slice of Hollywood life without the Manson crap, but it was too maudlin for me.

Thankfully, it was only $5 to rent Midsommar and Once Upon a Time...so. Would have been better off just spending that to watch the universally panned Hellboy reboot instead. :p

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Michael Bay: 6 Underground

A billionare fakes his death, gathers a team of mercenaries (who also faked their deaths) to topple a government in some fictional country, the name of which I've already forgotten. Fast cars, plenty of fast cuts, explosions, gunfire, blaring music and just the general Bayhem you would expect ensues.

It wasn't all bad. A couple of pretty entertaining sequences, well choreographed action scenes and a couple of interesting characters. That being said I wanted to like this more than I did. I didn't go in expecting a film that would make me think, but at two hours long the film struggles to keep you interested for the whole duration. The character development is by and large pretty weak, but as I read somewhere else this seems like the first installment in a franchise, so maybe all of that will follow. Or maybe not. Mélanie Laurent was great, as usual, but other than her the characters seemed like caricatures of the people they were supposed to be portaying. Maybe that was the point, who knows.

The one thing I find inexcusable in the film, however, is that the great Sneaker Pimps tune from which the title is lifted doesn't even make an appearance in the film. Pure craziness.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

None of those movies are favorites of mine. When I say stream, I mean rent. :)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
None of those movies are favorites of mine.

I mean, I get it's subjective, but __really__? You don't even +like+ any of those movies? I mean, they're almost universally recognized as superlative films.

Have you seen any of them? If not, I'd highly recommend making a point of seeing many/most/all of them!

Side note: when I buy films on digital, I never pay full price, there's a massive gray market for codes, I probably average about $5 a movie :D Got Once Upon A Time In Hollywood for ~$7, via a Movies Anywhere code, that ported over to a full iTunes movie in 4K **boom**

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I mean, I get it's subjective, but __really__? You don't even +like+ any of those movies? I mean, they're almost universally recognized as superlative films.

Have you seen any of them? If not, I'd highly recommend making a point of seeing many/most/all of them!

Side note: when I buy films on digital, I never pay full price, there's a massive gray market for codes, I probably average about $5 a movie :D Got Once Upon A Time In Hollywood for ~$7, via a Movies Anywhere code, that ported over to a full iTunes movie in 4K **boom**
I‘ve seen 4 of those movies, I own none of them. I’m sorry you don’t like my answer, it’s nothing personal. I’ve not yet seen Once Upon A Time. :)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I‘ve seen 4 of those movies, I own none of them. I’m sorry you don’t like my answer, it’s nothing personal. I’ve not yet seen Once Upon A Time. :)

I was just astounded you didn't like any of those films (ownership wasn't necessary, I don't even own all of those). I mean, they're such a cross section of genres, most are universally acknowledged as fantastic.

Yeah, nothing personal at all, as a film buff, just bewildered. o_O
[automerge]1576496274[/automerge]
6 Underground was just horrible.

Yeah, I saw on AVC is was like a C/C- (RT 34%), looks like "generic action film", it's been 20 years since Bay made the original Bad Boys and The Rock, his Bayformer movies are trainwrecks (box office not withstanding ...), not surprised this is another loud, pointless Baysplosion movie :D

Don't get me wrong, I like me some blow-em-up sometimes, but there still has to be something else (he was close with Pain and Gain).

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
6 Underground was just horrible.
I saw the trailer for it, which caught my attention, started to watch it. It went immediately into frantic action. Got a phone call, and decided to put the movie on hold.

There are movies directed by Michael Bay that I like, Armageddon, The Island, the first couple of Transformers, the Jack Ryan Series* on Amazon Prime. I’ll say this about him as a director, he has a distinctive action style, almost turning it into an art form, you either like it or may hate it. ;) It may seem too polished, calculated, and choreographed, not feeling natural, hence diminished, based on personal taste.

I tend to love good action if... it’s not overdone. I’ll add that this style can be effective. Armageddon is a solid example of a movie propelled by his technique. It is a prime example of Michael Bay style action. The Island when it turns into a chase film benefits from it.

However, for 6 Underground having only watched the first 10 minutes, I was not, pleased with what I saw. It almost immediately launching into high steroid action, with a chase scene at the start and I mean IMMEDIATELY, with a little bit of calm flashback to help explain why they are running, it has me wondering if the entire movie is like this, is there any calm? :D

*Update: Bay is an executive producer on Jack Ryan, not a director.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.