Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
We are also constantly running Christmas movies, several of them over-and-over, hahaha, our house (mostly the interior) is a Christmas-o-rama! :D

The list:

Christmas Vacation
Elf
A Christmas Story
Scrooged
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
The Night Before
Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Christmas with the Kranks
Office Christmas Party
A Charlie Brown Christmas
Spongebob Christmas
Die Hard
The Polar Express
Daddy's Home 2
Bad Mom's Christmas
Krampus
Love Actually
Bad Santa
Trading Places

Are all of these great movies? Oh, clearly, the answer is no. Are some not __really__ even a "Christmas movie"? Hahaha, probably not. The first three really get the most play, by a good bit - a few we probably only watch once.

We just enjoy being silly with Christmas :D Funny enough, this year, the old school Rankin/Bass did not hold up, even The Year Without a Santa Claus, it's just so ==weird== (we even have miser coffee mugs ...)

Anyway, they're fun, dumb, we've seen them a million times, but we love 'em :p

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We are also constantly running Christmas movies, several of them over-and-over, hahaha, our house (mostly the interior) is a Christmas-o-rama! :D

The list:

Christmas Vacation
Elf
A Christmas Story
Scrooged
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
The Night Before
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Christmas with the Kranks
Office Christmas Party
A Charlie Brown Christmas
Spongebob Christmas
Die Hard
The Polar Express
Daddy's Home 2
Bad Mom's Christmas
Krampus
Love Actually
Bad Santa
Trading Places

Are all of these great movies? Oh, clearly, the answer is no. Are some not __really__ even a "Christmas movie"? Hahaha, probably not. The first three really get the most play, by a good bit - a few we probably only watch once.

We just enjoy being silly with Christmas :D Funny enough, this year, the old school Rankin/Bass did not hold up, even The Year Without a Santa Claus, it's just so ==weird== (we even have miser coffee mugs ...)

Anyway, they're fun, dumb, we've seen them a million times, but we love 'em :p

I really like the 1938 version of A Christmas Carroll with Reginald Owen. Of note he played Admiral Boom in Marry Poppins (1964). And, It’s a Wonderful Life (1946) is a wonderful movie.

From your list, I’d watch Diehard. :D

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

BTW, if you've never seen this, it's ridiculously fun - it's a Henson/Muppet TV special from 1977, and the technical execution is just astounding. All practical sets, effects, beautiful long shots using miniatures, lots of different tech like remote controls, wires, traditional Muppet shots, and a super cute story with some fun music.

Highly recommended unless you have an aversion to Muppets. :D

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
BTW, if you've never seen this, it's ridiculously fun - it's a Henson/Muppet TV special from 1977, and the technical execution is just astounding. All practical sets, effects, beautiful long shots using miniatures, lots of different tech like remote controls, wires, traditional Muppet shots, and a super cute story with some fun music.

I love The Muppets.

Reactions: mikzn and Huntn

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Rise of the Skywalker....in about 6 hours!

Obviously without spoilers, but do share your thoughts/insights. (I’m sure someone might even start a thread on the overview). At first I wasn’t really keen on seeing it in theaters, and I had the attitude of like “Oh I can wait until DVD/digital”. But now if I have some time extending through the weekend, I might slip into the theater and see it. I think the finale really will be worthwhile. I’ve been avoiding pretty much all blogs/reviews thus far.

Reactions: jbachandouris

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Obviously without spoilers, but do share your thoughts/insights. (I’m sure someone might even start a thread on the overview). At first I wasn’t really keen on seeing it in theaters, and I had the attitude of like “Oh I can wait until DVD/digital”. But now if I have some time extending through the weekend, I might slip into the theater and see it. I think the finale really will be worthwhile. I’ve been avoiding pretty much all blogs/reviews thus far.
I'm already bracing myself for sadness. This is it until 2021. That's a long time. With Endgame being the last Avengers movie for awhile, 2020 is going to be LONG. :(

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm already bracing myself for sadness. This is it until 2021. That's a long time. With Endgame being the last Avengers movie for awhile, 2020 is going to be LONG. :(

I hear ya. Hang in there...only until 2021 until The new ‘Batman reboot’ with Robert Pattinson comes out. (Scarlett Johansson’s ‘The Black widow’ looks really good in May 2020.)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Illusionist (2006)- Outstanding romance about the son of a cabinet maker who is skilled at illusions, meets a princess and they develop a romantic relationship, in 19th Century Vienna/Austria. They are forcibly separated, then meet a decade and a half later, she engaged to the crown prince. The very complimentary soundtrack adds gravity to the events as they unfold. Filmed mostly in Prague.

There is only one caveat to the enjoyment of this story, it relies on CGI even though it’s not about magic per say (like Gandalf magic), it’s about illusions, with a mechanical basis, at least there are drawings and schematics. :) It you can suspend disbelief and go with the flow of the story, it is very entertaining.

1225C5FB-9806-4455-B72F-8F3B740AB20B.jpeg

I'm going to see Rise of the Skywalker tonight. I'm very excited about that!!
Good luck! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: kazmac and LizKat

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

Emmit Otter is one of my favorite Christmas movies!!! We have a list of movies we watch every year and this is one of them!

While we are on Christmas movies, watched the latest Michael Bay movie... 6 Underground. This is a check your brain at the door type of movie, but we were entertained, for the most part. If you have a good surround sound setup, this one really pushes it! The soundtrack/score is really good!

ItsNotaTumor

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
Rise of Skywalker isn't going to please everyone, but I found it mostly enjoyable (especially the stuff between Kylo and Rey, who really are the heart of this trilogy). its got some JJ problems because its JJ at the helm. but when the movie needed to go to deep places, it did work for me.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
As bad as episodes VII & VIII were, IX is easily worst of the nine film series.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, well at least it wasn't awful like TFA and TLJ. Let's move onto more interesting characters and flesh out the universe please.

Cannot wait to carve sone time out to watch The Lighthouse and Master Z: Ip Man Legacy this weekend.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I recently renewed my Film Movement streaming subscription so I'm hoping to explore quite a few of their current offerings over the holidays. I had liked the French Canadian movie The Auction which I first saw on that platform (and may have posted about in the wayback of this thread), so I'm thinking of watching that one again for sure.

Meanwhile I started off my renewed subscription by watching the Georgian film Dede (2017) the other night. I enjoyed its particular exposition of ingrained, tribal and extremely patriarchal ways, which were still maintained in the early post-Soviet civil conflicts era in rural areas, but starting to collide with resistance from the younger generations.

The setting was the writer-director Mariam Khatchvani's beautiful home region of Ushguli, in the high mountains of the northwestern Georgian province of Svanetia. The cinematography was wonderful and the drama based on some actual events. Such films are often widely reviewed after winning international recognition at festivals, and those reviews do sometimes contain some spoilers, but in my experience plot spoilers in these movies tend to seem minor and don't spoil a viewing experience. It was the writer-director's first feature film and is somewhat uneven, but I found it compelling in its revelation of what can happen when a woman's desire for autonomy collides with "immovable" patriarchal traditions.

All that said and with forewarning of a few plot spoilers, I offer this review of Dede as enticement to watch the movie.

The film's audio is in Georgian with English subtitles. Knowing bits of the plot hardly detracts from being drawn into an understanding of some of the severe constraints that women still face in parts of the developing world or in relatively untouched cultural isolates in the rest of the world.

This not being PRSI, I'm not going to suggest that the #MeToo era has revealed a seriously parallel experience in mainstream communities of the western world. There's more to suppression of women's autonomy than what may go on in corporate culture (even in the western world, yep). Meanwhile I do recommend this movie. Some of it may actually ring true for any resident of the Appalachian chain, here at somewhat lower altitudes, closer to mainstream communities and practically on the other side of the planet from the Greater Caucasus. But that's food for further thought in some thread destined for that other subforum...

Reactions: SandboxGeneral
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.