Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Home Alone(1990)
What can i say, it’s just that time of year. Has it really been 29 years?!? Merry Christmas folks!
HomeAlone.jpg

I was gonna ‘one up’ you on Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase, 😁 but you win with Home Alone. Absolute Classic at my #1 on the Christmas movie list. [Scrooged with Bill Murray coming in at a close second.]

Reactions: hawkeye_a

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
It's excellent, you have to watch in the moment, as Nolan doesn't spend a ton of time on exposition (except for one "this is how this works" new team member as the audience avatar). It's got one of the most stunning, what I'd call, "compound scenes" ever films towards the end. It's got some pretty grand concepts, powerful metaphor, awesome cast, stunning visualizations, very highly recommended. :)

Yeah... who was shooting at them and why?

Weren't they helping that "Fish" guy? Was that his name?

And all they did was open a safe...? To get a pinwheel?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think you need to add 100 ... :p
Doh! Fixed...😘

It’s a Wonderful Life (1946)- The magic of movies, when it happens. ;) I love the character portrayals in this movie, especially Lionel Barrymore as Mr. Potter. Incredible performances all around.

George Bailey vs Mr. Potter regarding affordable loans to working class citizens provided by the Savings and Loan.
“You’re all businessmen here,” says George Bailey (James Stewart). “Doesn’t it make them better citizens? Doesn’t it make them better customers? You … you said … what’d you say a minute ago? They had to wait and save their money before they even ought to think of a decent home. Wait? Wait for what? Until their children grow up and leave them? Until they’re so old and broken down that they … Do you know how long it takes a working man to save $5,000? Just remember this, Mr. Potter, that this rabble you’re talking about … they do most of the working and paying and living and dying in this community. Well, is it too much to have them work and pay and live and die in a couple of decent rooms and a bath?” https://www.thewrap.com/its-a-wonderful-life-70th-anniversary-donald-trump/

Last edited:

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
MV5BMTUxMTkyMzIzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjcwNjA5._V1_UY268_CR2,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

The Year Without a Santa Clause. I didn't remember it by title, but do remember the hot and cold guys.

The family is watching Home Alone. I won't.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
A Christmas Story (1983)

View attachment 884687

They’ve been playing 24 hours of ‘A Christmas story’ since I was a kid on TBS/TNT. I pretty much know every line from that movie.

Anyways, fun fact time:

Scott Schwartz (A.K.A ‘Flick’) mentioned in an interview about how he got his tongue stuck to the pole. So what they did, is they used a plastic pole (Placed Over a Metal pole), painted it to resemble a metal pole. But the pole had a hole in it where he could put his tongue, at the very bottom of the pole was a motor that acted like a vacuum to pull his tongue in, seemingly making it look at like it was stuck.

Pretty freakin clever. And it looked so realistic!

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Watched a couple of sci-fi -flicks last night. Both were first time views.

Grant Sputore: I Am Mother (2019)

Alex Garland: Ex Machina (2014)

Never been much of a sci-fi -buff, but these were both very enjoyable. The one the "spoke to me more" of the two would clearly be Ex Machina, but since both films seem to still stir up thoughts in my head no time was wasted in watching either one.

Need to get Ex Machina for the collection, since that's a film I'll be rewatching when the times comes. The whole thing could have almost been a Black Mirror episode, but I guess the (great) casting of Domhnall Gleeson might have helped with that. Superb stuff.
Ex Machina was such an unexpected treat!

Reactions: Mefisto

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
They’ve been playing 24 hours of ‘A Christmas story’ since I was a kid on TBS/TNT. I pretty much know every line from that movie.

Anyways, fun fact time:

Scott Schwartz (A.K.A ‘Flick’) mentioned in an interview about how he got his tongue stuck to the pole. So what they did, is they used a plastic pole (Placed Over a Metal pole), painted it to resemble a metal pole. But the pole had a hole in it where he could put his tongue, at the very bottom of the pole was a motor that acted like a vacuum to pull his tongue in, seemingly making it look at like it was stuck.

Tongue stuck to cold metal reminds me of Dumb and Dummer, one of my favorite slap stick comedies. :)

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Ex Machina was such an unexpected treat!

Yeah, that's what actually still puzzles me a bit. Now, I had read about the film, the basic premise, the cast, some spoilerless reviews and thought it sounded cool. For some reason it just took me a long while to actually watch it and boy am I glad that I did. Thing is, I watched it as a late night rerun on TV, so the ad breaks got on my nerves but even so, a great experience. Not a minute after the end credits were over I got a confirmation email that my order for the 4K Blu Ray was registered. Now I play the waiting game until I can watch it again, as it's intended to be seen.

In other news, rewatched Panos Cosmatos' Mandy (2018) yesterday evening. There's a lot of red tones in the movie, so it seemed appropriate considering the time of year. Also, the main character's name is Red, so there's that.

Nicolas Cage really gets to stretch his personal brand of insanity in this one. The whole film is a trip, but what I find highly amusing is that Cage actually had a screaming coach work with him on this one. There's one scene in particular that showcases the results of that collaboration, and it's glorious.

Reactions: Huntn and D.T.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Tongue stuck to cold metal reminds me of Dumb and Dummer, one of my favorite slap stick comedies. :)

Hilarious comedy. One of my favorite parts-😁

State Trooper: Yeah, well you aware it's against the law to have an open alcohol container here in the state of Pennsylvania? Come on give me them booze you little pumpkin pie hair cutted freak!
Harry Dunne: No sir, wait, wait....
Lloyd Christmas: No sir don't drink tha...
State Trooper: You'd keep your mouth shut if you knew it was good for you buddy. (Takes sip. swallows)
Harry Dunne: Tic-Tac Sir?
State Trooper: Get the hell out of here

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Huntn and pachyderm

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

Thanks for that. I've always kind of casually wondered how they pulled that off (no pun intended) because it certainly does look real.

There was a kid in my elementary school who did that to a playground basketball hoop. We didn't see him for a like a week after he ripped his tongue off of the pole.

Reactions: Huntn and 44267547

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Good?
[automerge]1577340310[/automerge]
Yeah, that's what actually still puzzles me a bit. Now, I had read about the film, the basic premise, the cast, some spoilerless reviews and thought it sounded cool. For some reason it just took me a long while to actually watch it and boy am I glad that I did. Thing is, I watched it as a late night rerun on TV, so the ad breaks got on my nerves but even so, a great experience. Not a minute after the end credits were over I got a confirmation email that my order for the 4K Blu Ray was registered. Now I play the waiting game until I can watch it again, as it's intended to be seen.

In other news, rewatched Panos Cosmatos' Mandy (2018) yesterday evening. There's a lot of red tones in the movie, so it seemed appropriate considering the time of year. Also, the main character's name is Red, so there's that.

Nicolas Cage really gets to stretch his personal brand of insanity in this one. The whole film is a trip, but what I find highly amusing is that Cage actually had a screaming coach work with him on this one. There's one scene in particular that showcases the results of that collaboration, and it's glorious.
The AI did not seem threatening, it could be assumed that Nathan was familiar with the three rules of robots laid out 60 some years ago, even when it becomes apparant there are some disagreements Nathan had had with his girls, but...

And the most interesting aspect of this story for me, was considering if Eva was a complete sociopath, or she considered Caleb a threat because he was working with Nathan. Then you can wonder if she was not programmed to recognize empathy and considered him a bad guy. I projected that Caleb with water in his room could have survived this.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Good?
[automerge]1577340310[/automerge]

The AI did not seem threatening, it could be assumed that Nathan was familiar with the three rules of robots laid out 60 some years ago, even when it becomes apparant there are some disagreements Nathan had had with his girls, but...

And the most interesting aspect of this story for me, was considering if Eva was a complete sociopath, or she considered Caleb a threat because he was working with Nathan. Then you can wonder if she was not programmed to recognize empathy and considered him a bad guy. I projected that Caleb with water in his room could have survived this.
Ok. The story was rather predictable but the fighting scenes were good. Not one for Mrs AFB.

Reactions: Huntn

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
Master and Commander - The Far Side of the World (2003)

An excellent film, in my opinion. Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany were a great pairing of Captain Aubrey and Dr. Maturin.

The action sequences were frankly amazing.

Lots of detail, and for the most part I expect it was accurate in its portrayal of life at sea on a British warship of that time. The HMS Surprise was a small ship, but I didn’t realize just how small until I took a tour of the full scale replica used in the movie, when it was docked in San Diego.

There was one glaringly inaccurate detail of the ship that I hadn’t noticed while watching the movie, but that was pointed out on the tour. It’s a potential spoiler, so I won’t say any more here.

If you haven’t seen this movie, I highly recommend that you do.

ItsNotaTumor

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
Uncut Gems! even though the film is a bit too similar to the Safdie's last film Good Time (Which lives up to its title), Adam Sandler's performance might be my favorite male performance of the year.
You never feel like you're watching Opera Man or Billy Madison... he is all in and the work he does on screen is brilliant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.