Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
I am a big big big fan of tablets and i have been using tablets since Christmas 2013 and have quite a few tablets(4 in total) i have 2 Android tablets a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7(which i never use now) and Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4(i still use it sometimes) and i have a powerful 11.6 inch Windows 8 tablet Acer Iconia W700(i5 Core) and the best tablet which is the Ipad Air 2 which i use the most!

And i think next year will be the year that i won't getting a tablet for the 1st time ever since i started using tablets because i have tried all sorts of tablets now i think and there is not a tablet that i really want or i interested in buying right now.

But in 2016 for tablets i personally looking forward to the Ipad Air 3 and the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3! :)

What about you guys??? What 2016 tablets are YOU looking forward too? And are you getting a tablet in 2016 weather if you are replacing your current one or you are a 1st time buyer?? :)

Last edited:

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
Surface Pro 5. I'm sitting out the 4, because it doesn't buy me much over the 3, but the 5 should be a nice bump?

Most of my other tablets will continue to gather dust, as my phone is pretty capable and I have a very small & light laptop (rMB). But the Surface Pro is more than just a tablet. So, we'll see what the next rev brings?

Reactions: Billy95Tech

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I'm not getting the first gen model, but I'll be keeping my eye on the iPad Pro, ver 2 (if released this time next year). I guess I'm not the norm as I do a lot of work on my iPad Air 2. Split view multitasking has resurrected its utility for me personally and I'd love the extra screen real estate. However, I think I'll wait to see if they implement additional functionality next year (really like to see 3D Touch as I already find myself trying to use it on my Air 2).

Reactions: Moi Ici

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
A new Nexus 7 would be nice, especially if they keep it in the $200+ price range like the 2013 edition.

Dreads

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2015
I have an iPad Air experia z2 and the first Samsung Galaxy 10.1 I'm looking forward to the iPad pro next up I think

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
My first tablet was a 1st gen Nexus 7, used it a lot, I sold it though over build quality worry's and got another tablet. I was split between the Nexus 9 and the Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact. In the end I went with the Sony as it was smaller and waterproof and thin, at the time I also believed I would be able to install an SD card and move apps onto it. Which has turned out to not be the case, hmmm...

Anyway I use my tablet all the time however, I am taking by the Surface Pro 4 and the iPad Pro, currently thinking, depending on things, I would get the Pro 4 next year, but I maybe would get the iPad Pro. It would be to replace my laptop if I get a new iMac too.
I'll be keeping my Sony tablet though.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I'm just sticking with my Nexus 7(2013) and my very outdated iPad2. I barley use them. Not really interested in tablets with a mobile OS anymore. I'll most likely pick up a surface pro in a couple years or so.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
I see no reason to buy tablets any longer. iPads have run the course.

They are great for content consumption and they last for years. I don't care what OS it has, so even when Apple stops supporting it, I'll just keep enjoying the ones I have.

In another few years the entire landscape could change, so I sure don't want to invest more money only to risk that the tablet market gets ignored as we move onto something better. Tech development is moving faster than ever.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
None actually, I'm looking forward to foldable screens. Hopefully a 4" smartphone which folds out to a 8" tablet. Either LG or Samsung will be the first to release one, hopefully LG as I have a feeling Samsung will put Tizen on theirs.

I also am psyched for the surface pro 5, and the surface 4, seeing on just how far ahead Microsoft tablets are versus any of their competition. I'm seeing my surface pro 4 as the tock on the tick tock releases, so the SP5 should be a new redesign.

Otherwise I don't think anything really entices me. Apple just keeps releasing tablets which are just blown up phones with a 1990's OS. Google doesn't seem like they really care about tablets anyway seeing how little support tablet apps get from.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
If Apple include Apple Pencil support in next year's Ipad Air and iPad mini I'll certainly upgrade my iPad. If not, I won't bother.

I'd also like to see Samsung add S-Pen to the Galaxy Tab S3. Why it's available on the budget Tab A series but not the premium Tab S series is beyond me.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
  • Next year, I'm debating whether to get a iPad 2 (and jailbreak it to downgrade to iOS 6), a iPad Air 2, or a a Android/Windows duel boot tablet. No matter what, I'm keeping my iPad Air.

However, at this point, I'm probably going to spend my money on a 2nd hand rugged laptop (Panasonic Toughbook CF-30) because, It would be more practical than another tablet and, I have plans to make a Duel Boot XP(offline OS) and Windows 7(primary OS) laptop before the invasion of Windows 10 hits full swing!

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Have completely zoned out laptops and I never intend to get another one. My iPad Air 2 is doing very well for me, and I strongly believe in the future of tablets. Hoping for iOS and Android for tablets to move into desktop OS territory in terms of functionality. Hope tablets don't get phased out though.
As for 2016, I'm looking forward to quite a few. Hoping for more companies to get into the tablet market, like HTC, Motorola, and for LG to return with proper flagship tablets. Probably not going to buy any though. Im hoping for my Air 2 to last me for the next few years.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My tablet needs are being met between my oft used SP3 and my light used iPad Mini. I see no reason to get anything else next year.

Reactions: Billy95Tech

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Surface tablet looks interesting but i am still a supporter of laptops. I have an ipad 3 that i only use 10 times a year or so, my wife uses it much more with her laptop getting no love for some time now.

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
An iPad Air 3 if it materialises. Looking to replace my first gen Air.

Same! I'm in a simular predicament. My iPad Air (1st gen) is leased through my school. I have to decide if I want to keep (buy it back) or, return it. It's still on 7.1.2 which will make it a more intresting decision.

At this point, it's fast but, has a few flaws like the headphone jack not working, a sticky home button, and it takes 5 minutes to boot up (after passcode is entered, it freezes and re-springs)

However, the preformance is amazing (it's bulletproof reliable) and, I'm tempted to get a Touch ID from a newer one! These days, it's pretty tough for me to figure out where and when to spend the little money i make;)

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
None really. I have an iPad Air 2 now and it would require some serious feature improvements to make me want to get the next one. Apple pen support or 3D touch isn't it.

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
I was interested in the iPad Mini, but that's only if I pick up the Moto X, if I buy the iPhone 6S Plus, I have no need for it. If they do another sale + trade in + membership discount later on in the year, I may pick up the Samsung Tab S2 through Barnes & Noble.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
iPad Pro 2
Surface Pro 5
Pixel C (2016)
Galaxy Note 12.9 (let's not pretend that won't be coming)

I'll likely buy one of those as well.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I may or may not get a new iPad next year - depends how much longer I can keep my iPad 2 for. Hopefully till September 2017.. though it might have to be September 2016.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The main thing I'm looking forward to is foldable screens. Ignoring my math for a second, a 5 inch phone which unfolds into a 8 inch screen would be incredible and put an end to carrying 2 devices with me.

Other than that I'm looking forward to the SP5. The SP4 is such an incredible piece of technology, unmatched by any other tablet out there. As the tick, on the tick-tock cycle, I'm hoping the SP5 will take it to the next level. I'm also looking forward to a rumored Samsung windows tablet that is supposed to work with the S pen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.