Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Samsung just released the Tab S2. It has a processor from last year. The Pixel C has a Tegra X1, and three months from now we're going to be hearing about the next Tegra.

When Apple releases a flagship tablet? New processor for that year.

Android tablets seem to be considered less important than their phones.

Yeah i completely agree with you on this, Why are they doing this????!!! I don't understand why, it does NOT make sense that Android phones are more powerful then there Android tablets, i think it should definitely be the other way round because there are lots lots of people use tablets for a lot more stuff especailly content creation like video editing, office work lots more and that type of tasks can't be done easy on phones due to there small sceen(4 to 6 inches) size compared to the sceen size of tablets from about 8 to 13 inches and in phones i am talking about phablets as well!!

I really really hope Google and other OEMs(Samsung, LG, Sony, more) will realize this and make there Android tablets more powerful then there phones!!

Apple are doing the right way making there flagship tablets(which are Ipads) more powerful then there flagship phones(Iphones) every year!!!

Last edited:

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Frankly none....I have Nexus 7 (2013) though, my wife is using it and she is very happy with it....cute little toy, that's all I can say.....the way I understand it, story about tablets is actually mobility...but my Lap top HP Elite Book 820 G2 12,5" can do so much more and I can carry it where ever I want without any problems....so I really see no need for any kind of tablet.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Samsung just released the Tab S2. It has a processor from last year. The Pixel C has a Tegra X1, and three months from now we're going to be hearing about the next Tegra.

When Apple releases a flagship tablet? New processor for that year.

Android tablets seem to be considered less important than their phones.
You wouldn't know while using tab s2 that the processor is from last year...amazingly fast and Android actually can use all eight cores especially in browsers so the speed is comparable to air 2 in real world performance. Since they gave you 3 gb ram, it also helped increase the speed of the tab s2. I love how fast it is, no lags are slow downs and every game plays flawlessly. Also, tablet and smartphone games do not need the overpowered gpu's that are being used in the devices for the past couple years.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
You wouldn't know while using tab s2 that the processor is from last year...amazingly fast and Android actually can use all eight cores especially in browsers so the speed is comparable to air 2 in real world performance. Since they gave you 3 gb ram, it also helped increase the speed of the tab s2. I love how fast it is, no lags are slow downs and every game plays flawlessly. Also, tablet and smartphone games do not need the overpowered gpu's that are being used in the devices for the past couple years.

Good to know a new tablet can keep up with one that's a year old. Is that your benchmark? Keeping up with something a year older than it in the same price bracket?

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Good to know a new tablet can keep up with one that's a year old. Is that your benchmark? Keeping up with something a year older than it in the same price bracket?
Sorry I'm not trying to start an argument. I have a ipad pro also if you think I don't care about benchmarks. I know what's most powerful and why which is my iPad pro. I use my tab s2 for portability and movie watching. I had a ipad air 2 but started to prefer my S2 for portability so sold it. Also, the S2 has been much more affordable this Christmas season than the iPad air 2 so it's not in the same price bracket at least if you caught the deals and it's nice to put a 200 gb microsd in this 32 GB device.

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Sorry I'm not trying to start an argument. I have a ipad pro also if you think I don't care about benchmarks. I know what's most powerful and why which is my iPad pro. I use my tab s2 for portability and movie watching. I had a ipad air 2 but started to prefer my S2 for portability so sold it. Also, the S2 has been much more affordable this Christmas season than the iPad air 2 so it's not in the same price bracket at least if you caught the deals and it's nice to put a 200 gb microsd in this device.

I'm not trying to argue, either. I'm just kind of frustrated that Android still isn't able to do as well in the tablet space as I'd like. And it irks me that the manufacturers play them off as secondary importance. I want Apple to have credible competition in all markets.

Reactions: Billy95Tech

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I'm not trying to argue, either. I'm just kind of frustrated that Android still isn't able to do as well in the tablet space as I'd like. And it irks me that the manufacturers play them off as secondary importance. I want Apple to have credible competition in all markets.

You are right, android (Google) really does not care much about their tablets. Most applications are not as optimized as apples but at least samsung does try. I still think Samsung is the only option that can at least try to compete against the iPads. The rest of the android tablets either have too many bugs or are just not ready for prime time. The pixel c is an absolute mess due to bugs and other issues.

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
Surface 4. Not the Surface Pro, but the Surface. The size and price make it my favorite tablet. I just hope they do a couple minor updates:
- mobile core vs Atom CPU
- faster charging
- slightly improved battery life
- SP4 like cover

Then, it'd be ideal for me!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
This is the issue, obviously depends what people use for their tablets. Apps is a big issue and ive noticed it badly going from android tablets to ipad.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I'm hoping for OEMs to step up their game in the tablet space. For instance, LG have announced their G Pad II, and with its outdated processor and widescreen aspect ratio, you can clearly see that LG are not putting their full attention into this tablet. Looking to see more entries as well, maybe an HTC tablet?
As well as the OEMs, we need to see some effort from the software companies. I don't think we've ever seen an OS designed specifically for tablets. I think the closest we've seen to that is the iPad OS, which has optimised apps and suchlike, but there are still major gaps, such as the springboard, which is pretty much the same as the iPhone one. And of course there's Android, which still has a scaled-up version of the phone OS.
I'm really hoping for some sort of tablet revival in 2016. Laptops are quickly dying, but tablets haven't quite filled up that space yet. A lot of people would buy tablets if they had the functionality of a laptop. I use an iPad Air 2 it's a 1byone foldable keyboard as my main computer, and have no desire to switch to laptops. But I am keen to have more features on my tablet.
Tablets are the future!

Reactions: Billy95Tech

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I am a big big big fan of tablets and i have been using tablets since Christmas 2013 and have quite a few tablets(4 in total) i have 2 Android tablets a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7(which i never use now) and Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4(i still use it sometimes) and i have a powerful 11.6 inch Windows 8 tablet Acer Iconia W700(i5 Core) and the best tablet which is the Ipad Air 2 which i use the most!

And i think next year will be the year that i won't getting a tablet for the 1st time ever since i started using tablets because i have tried all sorts of tablets now i think and there is not a tablet that i really want or i interested in buying right now.

But in 2016 for tablets i personally looking forward to the Ipad Air 3 and the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3! :)

What about you guys??? What 2016 tablets are YOU looking forward too? And are you getting a tablet in 2016 weather if you are replacing your current one or you are a 1st time buyer?? :)

Well I tried a Ipad Pro this year, too large ,but nice tablet, I purchased a Mini 4 and sold my Mini 2, once again great version of the mini. I just picked up a Samsung S2 and am really impressed with the screen and speed of the device, it's going to be my go to device for magazines. comics and vids. Seeing the Amoled screen has convinced me I will be holding off on another full size Ipad till they go to Amoled screens, they are just so much nicer than the IPS, and of course when they do it I'm sure Apple will improve on the Battery life over the samsung

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Well I tried a Ipad Pro this year, too large ,but nice tablet, I purchased a Mini 4 and sold my Mini 2, once again great version of the mini. I just picked up a Samsung S2 and am really impressed with the screen and speed of the device, it's going to be my go to device for magazines. comics and vids. Seeing the Amoled screen has convinced me I will be holding off on another full size Ipad till they go to Amoled screens, they are just so much nicer than the IPS, and of course when they do it I'm sure Apple will improve on the Battery life over the samsung

I enjoy my S2 especially for portability. I have the iPad pro but use that mostly at home or if I'm in class and need to write notes. iPad pro is my laptop replacement while S2 is my normal tablet. The amoled screens are amazing especially for movies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.