Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
Just got an i5 SP4 as a present to myself.

That's me done for a while, although my phone contract is up in May.....

Reactions: gotluck

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Nexus 7 2016 probably.

I'm still using the 2013. Feels like new with every update. Now with marshmallow we finally have app data backup, so that's a huge plus.

I like the Tab S2 8.0. I'm debating whether to buy a new tablet or a laptop (but they are way more expensive).

Don't know what to do. I feel like I need more power (a laptop), and I want more power, but can't find the perfect device. I want it for college and personal use. I'd prefer a laptop than a Surface, but most laptops still have terrible screens with low resolutions.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Only thing really interesting on the radar is a Surface Phone.

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsofts-surface-phone-happening

God, finally! Although I'm a huge MS fanboy, I think they messed up big time not making a surface phone. Once again too little too late, but it will probably be awesome. Hopefully it will have a x86 chip and be able to run legacy programs on a big screen through continuum.

I'm also waiting for a surface mini, I think MS would sell a ton of those.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
God, finally! Although I'm a huge MS fanboy, I think they messed up big time not making a surface phone. Once again too little too late, but it will probably be awesome. Hopefully it will have a x86 chip and be able to run legacy programs on a big screen through continuum.

A Surface phone that could run Android Apps would be big. Like, really big.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
A Surface phone that could run Android Apps would be big. Like, really big.

If I understand it correctly, it never was going to natively run Android apps but rather Microsoft was providing some sort of tool for devs to help facilitate porting apps from either iOS or Android. And if I heard correctly on a podcast I listened to last week (one on TWIT--either All About Android or TWIG, can't recall), the Android porting mechanism has been abandoned.

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
If I understand it correctly, it never was going to natively run Android apps but rather Microsoft was providing some sort of tool for devs to help facilitate porting apps from either iOS or Android. And if I heard correctly on a podcast I listened to last week (one on TWIT--either All About Android or TWIG, can't recall), the Android porting mechanism has been abandoned.
Too bad. That would have been a potential game changer. Now Windows mobile just continues to be a never was.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008

I would LOVE a surface mini. Same quality build in 8" with type cover.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

I agree on the Mini Surface, HP are selling an 8" Windows Atom tablet that's nice, but less powerful then the Surface 3 yet it costs more then the Surface 3! So their must be a market, if MS made a smaller and cheaper Surface with the same build quality it would I think be popular.

sarah11918

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Canada
Really hoping Samsung updates the larger Note tablets sometime soon. I have the original 10" (the tech was a year old when I bought, and they released a newer model soon after) and husband has the NotePro 12.2" which is now coming up on a year old. I'm ready for an upgrade, but there hasn't been a Note tablet upgrade in a while, and the pen (for writing math notes and documents) is really the point for me. I'm hesitant to buy now because it seems like something new SHOULD be coming, but I'm ready for something new!

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida

Count me in for both of those products too ;)

give me an x86 phone that can run anything (the challenge will be battery life) and a surface mini!

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Behind what?

Samsung just released the Tab S2. It has a processor from last year. The Pixel C has a Tegra X1, and three months from now we're going to be hearing about the next Tegra.

When Apple releases a flagship tablet? New processor for that year.

Android tablets seem to be considered less important than their phones.

Reactions: Billy95Tech

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Weird question: Why do so few amazing Android tablets exist? The hardware just seems to be a little behind these days.
It just hasn't been a focus for google yet. Apparently split screen was in the M preview. I look for it to get enabled on a point update coming soon.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It just hasn't been a focus for google yet. Apparently split screen was in the M preview. I look for it to get enabled on a point update coming soon.

Yeah. I just get frustrated because I'm looking for that amazing tablet for my sister that's on Android. I recently just got her the Dell one from earlier this year.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Yeah. I just get frustrated because I'm looking for that amazing tablet for my sister that's on Android. I recently just got her the Dell one from earlier this year.
Yeah, so the Nexus 9 is a solid choice. The Pixel C is rumored to launch December 8th, but it's quite expensive. However, considering the C is designed by Google in house, it should be the best Android tablet ever.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
What about you guys??? What 2016 tablets are YOU looking forward too? And are you getting a tablet in 2016 weather if you are replacing your current one or you are a 1st time buyer?? :)
No interest in tablets. I don't need them. For large-scale tasks like working and playing games for example, I'll use my computer. For Twitter and stuff, I'll use my cheap phone (Moto G 1st Gen), gets the job done.

Great product, just not for me since I'm much more of a laptop guy.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Samsung just released the Tab S2. It has a processor from last year. The Pixel C has a Tegra X1, and three months from now we're going to be hearing about the next Tegra.

When Apple releases a flagship tablet? New processor for that year.

Android tablets seem to be considered less important than their phones.

Well the Pixel C can't use an unreleased Tegra, and no idea about Samsung. They aren't Apple they don't control the hardware and software. We have to accept that, even Nvidia has updated the Shield tablet without the new Tegra. Not that the Tegra chips are slow..

Go and look at the Xperia Z4, it has an 810 in it so currently is the latest, until CES in January.

Aren't Samsung moving more towards their own chips anyway?

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy95Tech

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Well the Pixel C can't used an unreleased Tegra, and no idea about Samsung. They aren't Apple they don't control the hardware and software. We have to accept that, even Nvidia has updated the Shield tablet without the new Tegra. Not that the Tegra chips are slow..

Go and look at the Xperia Z4, it has an 810 in it so currently is the latest, until CES in January.

Aren't Samsung moving more towards their own chips anyway?

I hope they do. And with Google, I would hope they'd eventually move the release date closer to the release of the chip, or design their own.

As for Samsung, they have Q42014 Exynos in it.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
iPad Air 3

Yep i think Ipad Air 3 hopefully be as powerful as the Ipad pro with the A9X chip, that would be awesome!! :D

The Ipad Air 3 will be awesome just like the Ipad Air 2 which is still a beast and a powerhouse!!! :D

But i am going to wait for the Ipad Air 4/5 because it will be more a upgrade then the Ipad Air 3 from the Air 2!!

Reactions: CE3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.