Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
Good Omens on Prime - Brilliant. Well done.

The Durrell's in Corfu - on PBS (also on Prime) - wonderful and quirky. I'm at the beginning of season 3.

The Handmaid's Tale - on Hulu. Dark and well produced, but the story seems to be plodding along.

Just finished Designate Survivor (S3) on Netflix. More drama and they've pushed a bit too hard with the language and social issues commentary. Still a good show though.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Binge watched The Fall, a BBC series about a detective (Gillian Anderson) tracking a serial killer (Jamie Dornan). Excellently acted and well-paced.

MV5BODk1MzM0MjQtNGUzOS00ZjBmLTliMjgtMzBjYmQwMzUwZDdkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjExMjk0ODk@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Legion's back on FX for it's third & final season. Loved the 'opening' episode, which you realize is actually a prologue of sorts. Great stuff. Only 8 episodes, so I'm expecting a return to form of the 1st season.

Reactions: ritmomundo

Nishant

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2010
PA
Somehow I let Jessica Jones season 3 get by me! I was under the impression it had already been purged by Disney/Netflix (whoever I should blame). ;)

Don't get me started. The whole Disney pulling it killed off the shows. I wanted to see more of Dare Devil and Defenders.

I believe Jessica Jones S3 is the last "new season" of any of the marvel stuff on Netflix

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
watched the first episode of "Dark" from Netflix and it looked ok
may watch more

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
I can't see myself subscribing and paying for multiple streaming services. It's going to get bad for us. Too many companies are trying to get a piece of the streaming tv money.

I agree. We are being pushed up in our monthly cost to again equal those old $100-$150 cable bills.

Many who now rely on Netflix for a movie source will find their content reduced to B grade, or worse, as the major studios claw back their best stuff. a2

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Watching another episode of Ken Burn’s The West (Netflix) describing among other things, the conflict between American Natives and the US government. The creation of the U.S. as we know it is amazing but this aspect makes me sad every time I read about or watch it.

BDE4FFA9-C147-4851-9AA2-2E67E80DC1E7.jpeg
The interesting thing is that spanning the US (Transcontinental Railroad) by rail was a monumental industrial feat made possible by the US Federal government and corporations seeking great profits. The three railroads (Union Pacific, Central Pacific, Western Pacific) who participated were given the amount of land equivalent in size to California and Montana combined, huge profits.
[doublepost=1561910980][/doublepost]
I can't see myself subscribing and paying for multiple streaming services. It's going to get bad for us. Too many companies are trying to get a piece of the streaming tv money.
Here is a point, the stuff you see via streaming would not be available through regular cable providers, so we are going to see some changes in this media market, good or bad, I can’t say.

Last edited:

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Revisiting a little gem. Foyle's War. All episodes available here in the UK on ITV. Watched the first 2 episodes. Absolutely Bloody Marvellous!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That's one of @Scepticalscribe's favorite shows.

Yes, it is.

The research and period detail is mostly impeccable; in Michael Kitchen (as DCS Foyle) and Honeysuckle Weeks (as Sam Stewart) the show had two superb actors who grew into their characters - very understated, quietly repressed, very 40s, and really quite wonderful. Some of the best actors in the UK played supporting characters, or recurring characters as the series progressed.

The scripts were excellent as were the production values, while the stories themselves (meticulously researched) were largely based on events that had actually happened, and had happened at the time during the the war when the series depicted them as having occurred - thus, a story set in 1943 would be about something that had actually happened in 1943, rather than - say - 1940.

Actually, about the only dramatic licence - or liberty - the show took was to have most of these events depicted as having taken place in Hastings (where Foyle's War was mostly based) rather than where they did happen, in places such as Yorkshire, or Manchester, - in other words, across the UK.
[doublepost=1561973978][/doublepost]
Revisiting a little gem. Foyle's War. All episodes available here in the UK on ITV. Watched the first 2 episodes. Absolutely Bloody Marvellous!

Superb show; one of my personal all time favourites.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes, it is.

The research and period detail is mostly impeccable; in Michael Kitchen (as DCS Foyle) and Honeysuckle Weeks (as Sam Stewart) the show had two superb actors who grew into their characters - very understated, quietly repressed, very 40s, and really quite wonderful. Some of the best actors in the UK played supporting characters, or recurring characters as the series progressed.

The scripts were excellent as were the production values, while the stories themselves (meticulously researched) were largely based on events that had actually happened, and had happened at the time during the the war when the series depicted them as having occurred - thus, a story set in 1943 would be about something that had actually happened in 1943, rather than - say - 1940.

Actually, about the only dramatic licence - or liberty - the show took was to have most of these events depicted as having taken place in Hastings (where Foyle's War was mostly based) rather than where they did happen, in places such as Yorkshire, or Manchester, - in other words, across the UK.
[doublepost=1561973978][/doublepost]

Superb show; one of my personal all time favourites.

For example, - re Foyle's War - and some of the best in British among British actors playing supporting roles, or character roles in certain specific episodes of Foyle's War, in some early episodes Edward Fox and Charles Dance and Robert Hardy featured - Charles Dance played an especially nasty upper class Nazi sympathiser in an early episode, while Andrew Scott played (yes Fleabag) a heart-breaking role in an episode set shortly after the end of the war.

Elsewhere, Ellie Haddington played a superb (understated) role as a senior officer in SOE, a recurring role throughout the series, through the war stretching into the postwar years when she played Foyle's superior when he switched to intelligence work rather than police work - the character was named Hilda Pierce in Foyle's War, but I have long suspected that she was loosely based on (or inspired by) Vera Atkins.

The superlative episode in series three - "A War of Nerves" - which included an outstanding role played by Dugald Bruce Lockhart (Captain Hammond) of the RSC (I saw him live in a performance of Henry V) actually seems to have included two real life stories, both of which were extraordinary.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.