Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just watched a fascinating programme on the BBC about Hilary Mantel and how she crated her wonderful "Wolf Hall" trilogy. About where she grew up, lives now, how she writes etc. Excellent. For those interested see if you can find it on the BBC iPlayer.

Hilary Mantel: Return to Wolf Hall.
[automerge]1584553120[/automerge]

Must try to see if I can catch this programme.

She is a wonderful writer and brilliant speaker, always well worth listening to.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Any good?

It was the first episode, so - essentially - it was setting the scene.

The cast is superb, the production values excellent and it was written by Julian Fellowes.

And, a bonus, as always, with Julian Fellowes, the female parts were extremely well written.

Think of it as a sort of Downton Abbey set in the 1840s, thus, if you like Downton Abbey, you'll probably like this: However, the opening (lengthy) sequence is set in Brussels in 1815, at (and before) the Duchess of Richmond's Ball, immediately before Waterloo.

Last edited:
Reactions: AVBeatMan

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
Norsemen (Netflix 2016-) The trials and tribulations of the Viking lifestyle circa 790AD in this Netflix comedy. Originally known as Vikingane in Norway. It is funny to hear the mix of 21st Century politically correct terms and concern being voiced by the characters as they act barbarically, and it is raunchy at times, so it‘s a case by case basis if you like it or not. :)

Norsemen is hilarious. Series 3 About to start?

Reactions: Huntn

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
It was the first episode, so - essentially - it was setting the scene.

The cast is superb, the production values excellent and it was written by Julian Fellowes.

And, a bonus, as always, with Julian Fellowes, the female parts were extremely well written.

Think of it as a sort of Downton Abbey set in the 1840s, thus, if you like Downton Abbey, you'll probably like this: However, the opening (lengthy) sequence is set in Brussels in 1815, at (and before) the Duchess of Richmond's Ball, immediately before Waterloo.

I did enjoy Downton Abbey so I'll see if I can find it and download it. Thanks.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
The review or the show? I blew through season 1, but man, is it dark.

Oh yeah, sorry, that was a little ambiguous, yes, the show. Yeah, very dark, funny, clever satire ... lots of people exploding :D

The original comic is from Garth Ennis, who also created Preacher, which is, well, just as funny, but even darker [in some ways], if that's possible o_O

(Both of those shows were produced by Seth Rogen, he's a big comics guy).

Reactions: millerj123

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Oh yeah, sorry, that was a little ambiguous, yes, the show. Yeah, very dark, funny, clever satire ... lots of people exploding :D

The original comic is from Garth Ennis, who also created Preacher, which is, well, just as funny, but even darker [in some ways], if that's possible o_O

(Both of those shows were produced by Seth Rogen, he's a big comics guy).
The comics were absolutely awesome. The TV series was, too, but it was not a faithful adaption of the comics. Just as enjoyable, though. I'm looking forward to season 2.

Reactions: D.T.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
The comics were absolutely awesome. The TV series was, too, but it was not a faithful adaption of the comics. Just as enjoyable, though. I'm looking forward to season 2.

Oh yeah, Becca, the use of Compound V, Madelyn vs. James, 9-11, etc., but yeah, I think they got things right in terms of the general story concept and tone.

mrsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2017
Nottingham, England
Binge watched 'Sunderland 'till I die' on Netflix, a documentary about Sunderland AFC, an english football club, one with a huge, fanatical following, and their struggles in the lower leagues of English football. This is the second season. The first was real car crash TV.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Along with our nightly episode of "Letterkenny" we started watching "Devs" on Hulu. It's roped me in. Good story, so far. Great cinematography, too. Cannot wait to see where this is all going!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
57A5C0ED-2705-4770-84C7-66D5ED6F4139.jpeg

Lonesome Dove (1989)- I really wanted to put this in the Movie section but it was a 4 part miniseries (6 hours) that is a real treat, the book won the 1986 Pulitzer Prize, and revived interest in Westerns in the US which formerly had reached a peak in the 1950s. It’s about 2 former Texas Rangers (Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall) who decide to pull up stakes in the late 1800s and start over by driving a herd of mostly stolen cattle and horses 2500 miles from the Rio Grande in South Texas to Montana. Great performances by everyone in this.

We owned 2 copies of this Miniseries on DVD that looked like crap on our TVs. I guess that what happens when you stick 6 hours of video on 2 DVDs. Our excuse is the the second set came in a thicker package, but still only had 2 disks. ? The series can be purchased on Amazon Prime for $10 for a HD version.

12 Things You Might Not Know About ‘Lonesome Dove’

Filming Lonesome Dove

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesMike

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Disneynature African Cats- Watched on Disney Plus, not bad, other than Samuel Jackson. He’s not a bad actor, but he is an awful narrator injecting too much emotion and anthropomorphizing these animals as compared to other Nature documentary narrators Like David Attenborough. Now, it may not be all his fault if the words are in the script and this is how he was told to approach it. ?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Disneynature African Cats- Watched on Disney Plus, not bad, other than Samuel Jackson. He’s not a bad actor, but he is an awful narrator injecting too much emotion and anthropomorphizing these animals as compared to other Nature documentary narrators Like David Attenborough. Now, it may not be all his fault if the words are in the script and this is how he was told to approach it. ?
Sir David Attenborough is in a league of his own.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.