Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
Lol! That’s the spirit. Some people find math as easy as pi. Not me.

Couldn't help myself:

upload_2018-9-9_7-32-33.jpeg

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
So, within compliance of applicable federal laws, regulations, and Community Discussion rules: what’s on your mind?

How soon it gets dark in the evenings now. Ugh! Not a fan of summer weather but it's the lingering evening light that I love. Now that lightball drops out of the sky so much sooner than back in July: accelerating, accelerating on its way behind the hills west of me. Almost to the time of year now when before 6pm I have to round up some rock music and turn the lights up in the house so I don't notice that force of nature out there stealing the joy.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Looking at the personal paperwork piled on my desk including a stack of papers for my tax returns which were due end of August(having received an extension).

Getting ready to go out to pay some bills and will have a coffee at my beloved Boreal coffee chain.

Reactions: Gutwrench

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
How soon it gets dark in the evenings now. Ugh! Not a fan of summer weather but it's the lingering evening light that I love. Now that lightball drops out of the sky so much sooner than back in July: accelerating, accelerating on its way behind the hills west of me. Almost to the time of year now when before 6pm I have to round up some rock music and turn the lights up in the house so I don't notice that force of nature out there stealing the joy.

I’ll miss the summer too. The winters are so long and bitterly cold here, but the summers are spectacular. The days are shorter and cooler already here too. I tentatively appreciate the vivid explosion of autumn colors but it’s fleeting and quickly replaced by dull browns and grays.

Reactions: LizKat

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
But you're so visual, and could imagine. That's all the pics you get in this matter :rolleyes:
There are things beyond imagination.:p
[doublepost=1536502212][/doublepost]
Looking at the personal paperwork piled on my desk including a stack of papers for my tax returns which were due end of August(having received an extension).

Getting ready to go out to pay some bills and will have a coffee at my beloved Boreal coffee chain.
Still only invoices equal to or in excess of CHF 100?

Reactions: Lioness~

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Just voted and practiced my duty and right in the Swedish Parliamentary Elections (+municipal and the county council elections as well).
See how high the participation gets this year. 4 yrs ago it was 86% that voted.

Doesn't change so much as there's so many parties that are involved in the political discussion here.
Even if we have 2 blocks of right and left, so to speak, arguing about things here too. We'll see what have changed in the political power from last time is always fun.
Though it doesn't mean that much in reality here, just some smaller stuff.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Just voted and practiced my duty and right in the Swedish Parliamentary Elections (+municipal and the county council elections as well).
See how high the participation gets this year. 4 yrs ago it was 86% that voted.

Doesn't change so much as there's so many parties that are involved in the political discussion here.
Even if we have 2 blocks of right and left, so to speak, arguing about things here too. We'll see what have changed in the political power from last time is always fun.
Though it doesn't mean that much in reality here, just some smaller stuff.
Lioness~, how the problem of migration affects the elections?

Last edited:

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Lioness~, how the problems of migration affects the elections?
We'll see, some parties are a bit more positive, some less.
I'll listen to the analyzes tonight when all have voted, and I know more.
Our population hasn't increased that much,
7 492 837 today against 7 330 432 people 2014.
How much is from immigration, who knows?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Calm, at the moment.
[doublepost=1536504776][/doublepost]
I’ll miss the summer too. The winters are so long and bitterly cold here, but the summers are spectacular. The days are shorter and cooler already here too. I tentatively appreciate the vivid explosion of autumn colors but it’s fleeting and quickly replaced by dull browns and grays.

58852C30-BE38-438E-B66E-0E120FE95718.jpeg
Not my pic.
One of my Early years in Minnesota, the 91 Halloween blizzard, the snow was on the ground until April, almost 6 months, way too long, and I grew to appreciate the later brown winters, but the snow mobilers where very unhappy they had to drive North to find consistent snow. The trend while I lived there, just under 3 decades was a year long warming trend.

Last edited:

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Shopping bra’s, can be a mess, especially when the old ones have lasted a while, and shopping online. Sizes can differ widely. But I've ended up with 6 new ones that I am satisfied with. 4 is totally awesome. With not so much hassle that I had expected. The majority of them, are sport bras.

That's the thing I don't miss most of all after my mastectomy. I save a fortune not buying bras - which never fit right and were uncomfortable.

At the moment, there is nothing on my mind at all. Nope. Not a thing. Could be the drugs though.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I love Swedish politics, it’s so balanced, so it’s almost comic.
Probably more this year then ever. The blocks are totally even.
Everybody proclaims themselves as winners :D
Everybody is happy.
The problem is the Swedish Democrats, nobody wants to work together with them.
They are not very huhhhm democratic.
So they push the left and right closer to each other instead.
See what happens out of this. Who will build the government :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
If time permits I hope to take a winter trip Costa Rica. Not so much to tour but to explore Pacific coast cities for the possibility of relocating there. Anyone have experience and/or advice on such a thing? If so I’d be grateful to hear it.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
If time permits I hope to take a winter trip Costa Rica. Not so much to tour but to explore Pacific coast cities for the possibility of relocating there. Anyone have experience and/or advice on such a thing? If so I’d be grateful to hear it.
Many years ago, a co-worker went to Costa Rica and Belize. His opinion was that Belize was quieter. That may no longer be so, since Belize shares a substantial border with Guatemala. AFAIK it's still less populated than Costa Rica.

Wherever you visit, be prepared for extreme humidity. If you want a sense of what that's like, visit Biloxi or Puerto Rico. In the summer. Or just turn on a hot shower and turn off the ventilation fan in your bathroom. 30 minutes and it'll be just like Biloxi.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Kids turned another year older last month. I was well aware of it then, obviously, but it only hit me today that they're growing up and time flies too damn fast. And they've become smartasses. Definitely cheeky kids. And, that is the sweetest reward of them all.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
First day of school for my daughter

I applied for another job in Alaska and I'm hoping this one doesn't get cancelled like the last one but it is the end of the FY.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
You know, you're much more clever than this. Ask your son to take a leave from service on the premise you guys go traveling and BBQ, then when he arrives, ask him to clean up the snow first. Or buy a flamethrower.

I’ve missed your genius. Stick around!

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
In high school I absolutely loved math and algebra. But in college I had a rude awakening, as I had not been prepared for college level calculus, and I struggled with it for several semesters. :(
Right. I loved AP calculus - it was probably my favorite class (except for chem lab).

College calculus was a complete nightmare and I didn't understand half of it.
[doublepost=1536708522][/doublepost]What's on my mind?

Reading, case briefing, iPhone event, tomorrow's keynote, reading, procrastinating, food.

Reactions: Huntn and Gutwrench

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
Some of the comments above have made me think of snow. Even though there’s a hurricane coming, at the moment, snow is what’s on my mind.

Sometimes I actually miss snow. Lots of it.

Coming from living in the Central Rockies (~7400 ft elevation), where the last snowdrift in my yard would often persist until June, then moving to southern Virginia (~300 ft elevation), where it rarely snows, has required an adjustment both in attitude and in behavior.

I’ve found it’s comparatively less expensive living in the flatlands than in snow country, due in part to not needing a serious snowblower, an extra set of dedicated snow tires for my car, or as much energy for heat. Plus maintenance. And it mostly takes less time to get prepared to go somewhere and to actually get there.

And to be honest, by springtime in Colorado I was ready to be done with snow. It seemed endless, at times.

But sometimes I miss it. Mainly because the snow I experienced at home, at work, and at play, was magical.

There is no sight on earth, that I’ve seen, that is more magical than a deep layer of snow over the bare terrain I see every day in the warmer months. Snow transforms what I sometimes take for granted into something at once alien and familiar. Everything changes, from walking to driving, to simply standing outside (or looking through a window from the vantage of a cozy room) and being there, in it.

Explainable by science, but magical, nonetheless.

And I am astounded that it is water. That I can pick up a handful and blow it like so many dandelion seeds. Or compact it into an igloo, or snow fort for my kids, hard as cement. Or watch it melt in my ungloved hand, turning into the same stuff that falls out of the sky in the summer. Or sweat.

It could be that my fascination comes from skiing in the stuff for years, seven of them getting paid to do so out west. It has occurred to me more than once that taken as a whole, I’ve literally spent months of my life riding chairlifts. Which is yet another way of experiencing the stuff. Or, maybe I chose that particular occupation because of my fascination with snow.

I could go on, but (insert your sigh of relief here) I won’t. It is too personal, too important to me, to say much more.

So now, in the Piedmont of Virginia, when the odd snowfall happens, enough to mostly cover things up, and make driving both fun and interesting, I celebrate. Because it is so rare, here. And am grateful for the opportunity to experience it again, even briefly.

More like a sip than a gulp. And for some reason, I find sipping more to my liking these days.

edit: Mostly.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.